着迷英语900句

玛丽莲梦兔
840次浏览
2020年07月29日 01:11
最佳经验
本文由作者推荐

河床是什么-没辙是什么意思

着迷英语900 句
着迷英语900句
第一集
BILL: Good morning, sir. 先生早。
MAN: Good morning. 早。
PAULO: Hello, Bill. How are you today? 喂,比尔,今天好吗?
BILL: Fine, thanks. Beautiful day! 很好, 谢谢您. 今天天气真好!
PAULO: Good for business. 是个做生意的好日子。
BILL: Sure is. 说的是。
PAULO: See you later. 回头见。
BILL: OK. Paulo. See you later. 好, 回头见,保罗。
GIRL: Excuse me, sir. 先生,请问..
BILL: Yes? 有什么指教?
GIRL: Is this the Museum of Modern Art? 这是不是现代艺术博物馆?
BILL: No. This is the Space Building. That’s the Museum over there. 不是,这是太空大厦。那边那
座是博物馆。
GIRL: Thank you very much. 谢谢您。
BILL: You’re welcome. 不客气。
PAULO: Bill! 比尔!
BILL: Hi, Paulo. 嗨,保罗。
PAULO: Bill, this is my sister, Joana Farias. 比尔,这是我妹妹琼娜·法瑞斯。
BILL: Very pleased to meet you. 很高兴认识。
PAULO: Excuse me, Bill. Your last name is...? 抱歉,比尔。您的姓是..?
BILL: O’Neill. 奥尼尔.
PAULO: Bill O’Neill. 比尔·奥尼尔.
JOANA: How do you do, Mr. O’Neill? 奥尼尔先生您好.
BILL: Call me Bill. 叫我比尔就可以.
WOMAN: Excuse me, sir. Is this the Museum of Modern Art? 先生, 对不起, 请问这是不是现代
艺术馆?
PAULO: Good-bye, Bill. See you this afternoon. 比尔再见, 下午见.
BILL: Good-bye. A pleasure meeting you, Joana. 再见. 很高兴和您见面, 琼娜.
BILL: Now, Miss. The Museum of Modern Art is... 嗯, 小姐, 现代艺术博物馆在..
PAULO: Hello, Bill. 比尔您好.
BILL: Hi, Paulo. How are you? 嗨, 保罗, 您好吗?
PAULO: Fine, thanks. Bill, this is my mother, Mrs. Farias. Mother, Bill O’Neill. 很好,谢谢。比尔,
这位是家母法瑞斯太太。妈, 这位是比尔·奥尼尔.
MRS. FARIAS: How do you do, Mr. O’Neill? 奥尼尔先生您好。
BILL: Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Farias. 很高兴认识您,法瑞斯太太。
MRS. FARIAS: Paulo, is that Joana over there? 保罗,那边那位是不是琼娜?
PAULO: Yes. Joana! Joana! 是的。琼娜! 琼娜!
MRS. FARIAS: Good-bye, Mr. O’Neill. Nice to meet you. 奥尼尔先生再见, 很高兴认识您.

着迷英语900 句
BILL: A pleasure meeting you, Mrs. Farias. Good night, Paulo. See you tomorrow. 很高兴认识您,
法瑞斯太太. 保罗晚安, 明天见。
LAURA: Hi, Bill. I’m late again. 比尔,您好。我又迟到了。
BILL: Uh-huh. Fifteen minutes. 是的, 迟到了十五分钟。
LAURA: Really? 真的?
BILL: Yes, really. 嗯, 真的。
LAURA: Is my boss here? 老板来了没有?
BILL: Yes, he is. Good luck. 嗯,来了。祝您好运。
LAURA: Good morning, sir. 老板您早。
MR. CRAWFORD: Good morning, Miss Segura. 瑟姑拉小姐早。
LAURA: I’m sorry I’m late, sir, but this morning... 对不起, 老板, 我迟到了。是因为今天早上...
MR. CRAWFORD: You are alw
ays late, Miss Segura. 瑟姑拉小姐, 您总是迟到。
LAURA: But, sir, this morning... 可是今天早上...
RD: Miss Segura, please be here at nine o’clock. 瑟姑拉小姐, 请九点钟到。
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 老板。
BILL: Well, how’s your boss this morning? 您的老板今天怎么样?
LAURA: He’s angry. “Miss Segura. Please be here at nine o’clock.” 他生气了. “瑟姑拉小姐, 请您
九点钟到。”
BILL: Your boss is right. 您的老板没有错。
LAURA: He’s a monster! 他是一个怪物!
BILL: He’s right, Laura. 劳拉, 他是对的。
LAURA: OK, he’s right. 好吧, 他没有错。
BILL: Here. 来这儿。
LAURA: What is it? 那是什么?
BILL: It’s an ice cream sandwich. 一个冰淇淋叁明治。
LAURA: How much is it? 多少钱?
BILL: For you-free! 给您... 免费赠送!
LAURA: Oh, Bill. You’re a sweetheart! 比尔, 您真好!
RD: Hi, dear. Sorry I’m late. 亲爱的, 我回来了。今天晚了一点, 很抱歉。
MRS. CRAWFORD: That’s okay, dear. Busy day? 没关系, 亲爱的, 忙吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes, very. My secretary, Miss Segura... 嗯, 非常忙, 我的秘书瑟姑拉小姐...
MRS. CRAWFORD: Laura! How is she? 劳拉! 她怎么样了?
MR. CRAWFORD: She’s fine, but... 她很好, 但是...
MRS. CRAWFORD: Oh, that’s good. She’s very nice. 那好, 她人很好.
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes, she is, but she’s always late. 是的, 她很好, 可是她经常迟到.
MRS. CRAWFORD: Very late? 很迟吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes. Fifteen minutes is very late! 嗯, 迟到十五分钟非常的严重!
JOANA: Where’s the English class? 英文课在哪上?
PAULO: On the first floor. Room 101. 在一楼, 一零一号教室.
JOANA: Are you sure? 您确定吗?
PAULO: No, I... 不, 我...

着迷英语900 句
JOANA: Look, Paulo. Are those students in our class? 保罗您看, 那些学生是不是在我们的班上?
PAULO: Maybe they are. Excuse me. Good evening. Are you in English 3? 或许是. 很抱歉, 各位
晚安. 请问您们是不是上第叁级英文?
STUDENTS: Yes, we are. 是的, 我们是.
PAULO: What’s the room number? 教室是几号?
STUDENT 1: 201. On the second floor. 二零一, 在二楼.
PAULO: Thank you. See you there. 谢谢. 到那儿见.
PAULO: Look, Joana. There’s my assistant, Maria, and her husband. Hello, Maria! Over here! 琼娜,
你看, 那位就是我的助手玛利亚, 还有她的先生. 喂, 玛利亚! 在这里!
MARIA: Paulo! Joana! What a surprise! Are you here for English, too? 保罗! 琼娜! 真想不到! 您
们也来上英文课吗?
PAULO AND JOANA: Yes, we are. 是的, 我们也是.
MARIA: Howard, this is Paulo Farias, the new manager, and his sister, Joana. My husband, Howard
Becker. 霍华德, 这就是那新来的经理保罗·法瑞斯, 和他的妹妹琼娜. 这是我先生, 霍华德·贝
克.
PAULO, JOANA, AND HOWARD: Nice to meet you. 很高兴认识您.
PAULO: Here’s the room. 201.
到了, 就是这间, 二零一号教室.
TEACHER: Good evening, class. 各位同学, 晚安.
STUDENTS: Good evening. 晚安.
TEACHER: Please sit down. Here are your books, New English 900. Now, listen to this dialogue.
Books closed. 请坐下. 这是您们的书. “新英语九百句”. 现在请把书合起来听听这段对话.
JOANA: Paulo, I’m nervous. 保罗, 我很紧张.
PAULO: Why? 为什么?
JOANA: I’m always nervous in school. 上课的时候我总是会紧张.
PAULO: Why? The teacher is very nice. 为什么? 这位老师很慈祥.
JOANA: Yes, she is. But English is hard. 她是很慈祥, 可是英文太难了.
PAULO: A new language is always hard. 学一种新的语言总是很困难的.
STUDENT: Ssssh! 嘘!
JOANA: I’m sorry. 对不起.
TEACHER: Now, open your books to page 1, and repeat after me. 现在请将书打开到第一页,并跟
着我念.
ARTURO: There’s the plane, Miguel. Wow! It’s a 747. 米盖尔, 飞机就在那里. 哇! 是架七四七!
MAMA: My little Miguel. 我的小米盖尔.
MIGUEL: Mama, I’m a man! 妈, 我已经长大了!
ARTURO: 747’s are beautiful planes. 七四七客机真漂亮.
MAMA: Where is your suitcase? 你的旅行箱在哪?
MIGUEL: Right here, Mama. 就在这里, 妈.
MAMA: And your tickets? 机票呢?
MIGUEL: They’re in my pocket, Mama. 在我的口袋里, 妈.
MAMA: And your passport? 护照呢?
MIGUEL: It’s in my pocket, too, Mama. 护照也在我的口袋里, 妈.
MAMA: Here’s a present. 来, 这是件礼物.

着迷英语900 句
MIGUEL: Oh, Mama. 噢, 妈.
MAMA: Open it. 打开吧!
MIGUEL: It’s beautiful. 真漂亮.
ARTURO: What is it? 那是什么?
MIGUEL: A gold coin. 一块金币.
MAMA: It’s for luck. 是带给你的好运.
MIGUEL: Thank you, Mama. 谢谢妈.
MAMA: Good-bye, Son. 再见, 孩子.
ARTURO: Good-bye, Miguel. 米盖尔再见.
MIGUEL: Good-bye Arturo. Good-bye, Mama. 阿徒若再见, 妈再见.
CARLO: Aren’t you hungry? 您不饿吗?
ANNA: No, I’m not. Not really. 还好, 不怎么饿.
CARLO: Well, it’s 9:30, and I am. 哦, 已经九点半了, 我可饿了.
ANNA: There’s a cafeteria on the ground floor. 在一楼有一个自助餐厅.
CARLO: But it’s expensive, isn’t it? 可是那家自助餐厅卖得很贵, 不是吗?
ANNA: No, it isn’t. 不贵呀.
CARLO: How’s the food? 菜怎么样?
ANNA: It’s not bad. 还不错.
CARLO: OK. then. Let’s go to the cafeteria. 好吧, 我们就去自助餐厅吧!
CARLO: What’s that in English? 那个英文怎么讲?
ANNA: Stew. Stew.
CARLO: Spell it. 拼出来.
ANNA: S-t-e-w. S-t-e-w.
CARLO: S-t-e-w. Stew, stew. S-t-e-w. Stew, stew.
COUNTERMAN: Next, next. Who’s next? 下一位, 下一位, 下一位是谁?
CARLO: Uh, I’m not ready yet, thank you. 这个... 我还没想好, 不好意思.
COUNTERMAN: Take your time. Next! 慢慢来. 下一位!
CARLO: What are those, Anna? 安娜, 那些是什么?
ANNA: Baked potatoes. 烤的马铃薯.
COUNTERMAN:
Next! 下一位!
MAN: A hamburger and french fries, please. 请给我一个汉堡, 还有一客炸薯条.
COUNTERMAN: Joe, a burger and fries. Next! 乔, 汉堡、薯条一客! 下一位!
ANNA: You’re next, Carlo. 卡洛, 轮到你了.
CARLO: Uh, stew, a salad, and coffee, please. 这个..., 请给我燉肉、一客沙拉、还有咖啡.
COUNTERMAN: Here you are. The coffee’s at that counter over there. Next! 这是你的, 咖啡在那
边的柜檯上. 下一位。
ANNA: Vegetable soup, please. 请给我蔬菜汤.
COUNTERMAN: Here you are. Next! 这是你的. 下一位!
CARLO: What’s that? 那是什么?
ANNA: Pizza. Pizza.
CARLO: No, not in Italian. What is it in English? 不, 不是用意大利文, 英文怎么讲?
ANNA: It’s “pizza” in English, too. 英文也叫Pizza.

着迷英语900 句
CARLO: Oh, really? What are those? 哦, 真的? 那些是什么东西?
ANNA: Baked potatoes. 烤马铃薯.
CARLO: And this? 那这个呢?
ANNA: Uh... an apple. 嗯... 是apple (苹果).
CARLO: Are you sure? 你确定吗?
ANNA: Yes, I’m sure. 当然确定.
CARLO: Spell it. 把它拼出来.
ANNA: A-p-p-l-e. A-p-p-l-e.
CARLO: A-p-p-l-e, apple. Spell “potato”. A-p-p-l-e, apple, 把potato (马铃薯) 拼出来.
ANNA: P-o-t-a-t-o. P-o-t-a-t-o.
CARLO: And... 还有这个...
ANNA: Look! Isn’t that Atsuko, the woman in our class? let’s sit there. Hi, Atsuko. Where’s your
husband? 你看! 那不是我们班上的明子吗? 我们坐那边吧. 明子你好,你的先生呢?
ATSUKO: He’s in line again. He’s hungry tonight. 他又去排队了, 他今天晚上很饿.
CARLO: How’s the food here? 这里的菜怎么样?
ATSUKO: It’s okay. The rice isn’t good, but the sandwiches are okay. 还可以, 这里的饭不好吃,
但是叁明治还不错.
PEDRO: Are you writing letters again? 你又在写信了?
MIGUEL: Huh? 什么?
PEDRO: What are you doing? 你在做什么?
MIGUEL: I’m writing to my mother. 我在写信给我妈妈.
PEDRO: Send her my regards. 代我问候她.
MIGUEL: Where are you going? Isn’t that my new sweater? 你要去哪里? 那不是我的新毛衣吗?
PEDRO: Yes. I’m going to the movies with Marta, the Colombian girl on the fourth floor. 是. 我正
要与四楼那位哥伦比亚女孩子玛它去看电影.
MIGUEL: You are? What about the woman in your office? 你真要去? 那, 你的公司那位小姐呢?
PEDRO: What about her? 她怎么样?
MIGUEL: Aren’t you seeing her tonight? 你今天晚上不是要去看她的吗?
PEDRO: No, tomorrow night. 不是, 是明天晚上.
MIGUEL: And... what’s her name, the girl in the bakery? 还有... 麵包店那个叫什么名字来着的女
孩子?
PEDRO: Yolanda? I’m seeing her on Friday. 幼兰达? 我星期五要看她.
MIGUEL: Marta’s a nice girl. 玛它是个很善良的好女孩.
PEDRO: Who? Oh, Marta. Yes, she is, isn’t she? It’s her birthday next Sunday. 谁? 哦, 玛它. 是的,
她很善良可不是吗? 下星
期天是她的生日.
MIGUEL: I know. April 22nd. 我知道, 是四月二十二号.
PEDRO: We’re going to a party. 我们将要参加一个宴会.
MIGUEL: Aren’t you going to the movies? 你们不是要去看电影吗?
PEDRO: Yes. Tonight Marta and I are going to the movies. Next week, on Marta’s birthday, we’re
going to a party. 是啊!我和玛它今天晚上要去看电影. 在下个礼拜玛它过生日时, 我将要参加
宴会.
MIGUEL: Oh. 喔!

着迷英语900 句
PEDRO: Marta isn’t going to the party. 玛它不参加聚会了.
MIGUEL: Oh? Why? 哦? 为什么?
PEDRO: She’s sick. 她生病了.
MIGUEL: Oh, I’m sorry. What’s wrong? 噢, 真可惜, 她怎么了?
PEDRO: A headache. 头痛.
MIGUEL: A headache? 头痛啊?
PEDRO: Yes, a headache. 对了, 头痛.
MIGUEL: Where are you going? 你要去哪?
PEDRO: To the party. 去参加聚会.
MIGUEL: You’re going alone? 你一个人去吗?
PEDRO: Sure. Are you writing to your mother again? 当然. 你又要写信给你妈妈?
MIGUEL: Yes. 是的.
PEDRO: Send her my regards. Well, I’m going. Good-bye. 请代我问候她. 好了, 我要走了, 再见.
MIGUEL: Bye. See you later. 回头见.
MARTA: Who is it? 那一位?
MIGUEL: Miguel. Pedro’s friend. 米盖尔, 佩德罗的朋友.
MARTA: What a surprise! Come in. 真想不到! 请进.
MIGUEL: Thank you. Here. Happy birthday. 谢谢. 这个给你, 祝你生日快乐.
MARTA: Oh, Miguel. They’re beautiful! Thank you. 米盖尔, 真漂亮, 谢谢你.
MIGUEL: I’m sorry about your headache. 听说你头痛, 我真替你难过.
MARTA: Headache? Oh, yes, my headache. I’m fine now, thank you. 头痛? 噢, 是的, 我是头痛,
但现在已经好了, 谢谢你.
MIGUEL: I’m glad. Let’s go to a movie, then. 我很高兴. 那么, 我们一起去看电影, 好不好?
MARTA: Miguel! What a good idea! 米盖尔! 那真是一个好主意!
BILL: Hello! Nora? Billy? Jack? Suzy? Peggy? I’m home! 喂! 诺拉? 比利? 杰克? 苏西? 蓓姬?
我回来了!
NORA: Hi, dear. You’re home early. 嗨! 亲爱的, 你回来得很早嘛!
BILL: Hi, honey. Where were you? 嗨! 甜心, 你刚才在哪里?
NORA: I was in the bathroom. 我在洗手间.
BILL: Where are the kids? 孩子们到哪里去了?
NORA: Peggy’s at the library. Billy and Jack are at baseball practice. 蓓姬去图书馆, 比利和杰克
练棒球去了.
BILL: And Suzy? 苏西呢?
NORA: She was here a few minutes ago. Maybe she’s in her room. 她刚刚还在这里, 也许在她的
房里吧!
BILL: Gee, I’m tired. 唷, 好累.
NORA: How was your day? 今天怎么样?
BILL: Busy, but not bad. 很忙, 但是还不错.
BILLY AND JACK: Hi, Mom. Hi, Dad. 妈你好. 爸你好.
BILL: Hi, kids. How was baseball practice? 你们好, 棒球练得怎么样?
JACK: Great! I’m hungry, Mom. 非常好. 妈, 我肚子饿了.

着迷英语900 句
BILLY: Jack, we weren’t great, and you know it. 杰克, 我们练得并不好, 你是知道
的.
JACK: Maybe you weren’t. 或许你练得不好.
BILLY: Oh, I see. You were great, but the team wasn’t. 哦, 我懂了, 你练得非常好, 而全队不怎
么好.
JACK: Right. Now you understand. 对了, 你现在才晓得.
BILLY: Jack, you are a... 杰克, 你这个人...
NORA: Dinner’s almost ready. About five more minutes. 再五分钟左右, 晚餐就好了.
BILL: When’s the big game? 什么时候大赛?
BILLY: Next Saturday. This was our last practice before the game. 下星期六. 这是我们比赛前的
最后一次练习.
JACK: I’m hungry. 我肚子饿了.
BILLY: Hey, Jack. Let’s practice until dinner’s ready. 嗨, 杰克. 我们再去练, 练到吃晚餐为止.
JACK: OK. Superman. Let’s go. 好吧, 超人. 走吧!
ALI: Mama, I’m hungry. I want a hot dog. 妈, 我饿了, 我要吃热狗.
MRS. NIKZAD: Ali, be patient. 阿里, 不要急.
MR. NIKZAD: Now let’s see. 我们来看
MR. NIKZAD: On this map there are three restaurants in the Plaza of Nations, 这张地图, 上面有叁
家餐馆在国家广场里,
MR. NIKZAD: Italian, French, and Spanish. 包括义大利风味、法国风味和西班牙风味.
MR. NIKZAD: How about Italian food for lunch? 午餐吃义大利菜怎么样?
ALI: But, Father, I want a hot dog! 但是, 爸, 我要吃热狗嘛!
MR. NIKZAD: Ali, be quiet. I’m talking to your mother. 阿里,别吵, 我在跟你妈说话.
MRS. NIKZAD: Dear, he’s only six. 亲爱的, 他才六岁嘛!
ALI: Look! An ice cream man! May I have an ice cream sandwich, please, please? I love ice cream
sandwiches. 你看! 冰淇淋摊贩! 我可以吃冰淇淋叁明治吗? 拜托! 我最喜欢吃冰淇淋叁明治.
MR. NIKZAD: He’s impossible. 真是拿他没办法.
MRS. NIKZAD: He’s only a child. 他还小.
MR. NIKZAD: You may have your ice cream sandwich after lunch. 吃完午餐以后你才可以吃冰淇
淋叁明治.
MR. NIKZAD: Excuse me, sir. Can you help me? Where is the Italian restaurant? 对不起先生, 您
能不能帮个忙? 请问义大利餐馆在哪?
BILL: It’s in the Italian Pavilion, over there. On the second floor. 就在那边的义大利馆里面. 在二
楼.
MR. NIKZAD: Thank you. 谢谢.
ALI: I can have an ice cream sandwich later, can’t I? 待会儿我可以吃冰淇淋叁明治吗?
BILL: Of course, you can. After lunch. 当然可以, 但要在吃过午餐以后.
ALI: My name’s Ali. 我的名字叫阿里.
MRS. NIKZAD: Come along, Ali. The man is busy. 过来, 阿里, 这位先生很忙.
BILL: That’s OK. Where are you from, Ali? 没关系, 阿里, 你从哪儿来的?
ALI: Iran. 伊朗.
BILL: Really? 真的吗?

着迷英语900 句
ALI: Yes. I can speak two languages. 嗯, 我会说两种语言.
BILL: Oh? Your English is very good. 哦? 你英文说得很好.
ALI: Yes. 嗯.
MR. NIKZAD: Come, Ali! The restaurant’s over here. 阿里,来, 餐馆就在这.
MRS. NIKZAD: Come along, Ali. Good-bye, sir. Thank you for your help. 快来, 阿里.
先生再见,
谢谢你的帮忙.
ALI: Bye-bye, ice cream man. 拜拜, 卖冰淇淋的先生.
BILL: Good-bye, Ali. See you after lunch. 阿里,再见, 午餐后再碰头.
WAITER: Here are your cocktails. 这是二位的? 尾酒.
MR. CRAWFORD: Thank you. 谢谢.
WAITER: The sherry? 雪利酒是哪一位的?
MRS. CRAWFORD: For me, thank you. 我的, 谢谢.
WAITER: And the martini is for you, sir? 这杯马丁尼该是先生的吧?
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes, thank you. 是的, 谢谢.
WAITER: May I take your order now? 二位要不要点菜?
MR. CRAWFORD: Please. 好的.
WAITER: The lobster is very good today. 今天的龙虾很不错.
MR. CRAWFORD: Dear? 亲爱的, 怎么样?
MRS. CRAWFORD: Oh, a fruit salad, please. 噢, 请给我一客水果沙拉.
WAITER: Certainly. And you, sir? 好的. 先生您呢?
MR. CRAWFORD: The lobster, and a salad, please. 请来个龙虾和沙拉.
WAITER: Thank you. Wine, sir? 好的, 先生要不要叫一点葡萄酒?
MR. CRAWFORD: Wine, dear? 亲爱的, 要不要酒?
MRS. CRAWFORD: No, not for me. 不, 我不要.
MR. CRAWFORD: No, thank you. 不要, 谢谢.
WAITER: Very good, sir. 好的, 先生.
PAULO: Hey, Joana. Why aren’t you ready? It’s almost 7 o’clock! 嗨, 琼娜! 你怎么还没准备好?
快七点了!
JOANA: I’m sorry, Paulo. I’m not going. I have to study. 对不起, 保罗. 我不去了, 我要念书.
PAULO: But you can study later. Don’t you want to go? 念书可以待会儿再念, 你不想去吗?
JOANA: No, not really. I don’t like dinner parties. 嗯, 我不太想去, 我不喜欢宴会.
PAULO: But what can I tell the Crawfords? 那么我怎么跟郭佛夫妇说呢?
JOANA: Tell them I’m sick. 告诉他们说我不舒服.
PAULO: But you aren’t sick. Come on, Joana. I don’t like to lie. 可是你没有不舒服呀! 拜托, 琼
娜, 我不喜欢撒谎.
JOANA: And I don’t like to go to dinner parties. 我不喜欢参加宴会.
PAULO: Come on, Joana. You can’t say “no” to the Crawfords. 琼娜帮个忙, 你不能拒绝郭佛家
人的邀请.
JOANA: My English is so bad, and they don’t speak Portuguese. 我的英文那么差, 而他们又不会
说葡萄牙文.
PAULO: Your English is fine. And you have a good accent. 你的英文很好, 而且你的发音很标准.

着迷英语900 句
JOANA: Do you really think so? 你真的这样认为吗?
PAULO: Yes, I do. And you can practice your English at the party. 是的, 我真的这样认为. 何况
你参加宴会, 又可以练习说英文.
JOANA: You’re so confident. 你倒很有信心.
PAULO: Then you’re coming? 这么说, 你是要去了.
JOANA: No, Paulo. I don’t want to go. 不, 保罗, 我还是不想去.
PAULO: Please, Joana. Do it for me. For my career.琼娜, 我求你, 就算是为我好了, 为了我的前途
JOANA: Who’s that? 是谁啊?
PAULO: He’s here. Please, Joana, for me. The door’s open! Come in! 他来了, 琼娜请帮我开开门.
门没锁, 请进!
MICHAEL:
Hi, Paulo. 嗨, 保罗.
PAULO: Hello, Michael. Do you know my sister, Joana? 嗨, 迈克尔. 你认不认识我妹妹琼娜?
MICHAEL: No, I don’t. 不认识.
PAULO: Joana, I want you to meet Michael Crawford. He’s driving us to his parents’ party. 琼娜,
介绍一下, 这是迈克尔·郭佛. 他要载我们去参加他父母的宴会.
JOANA: How do you do? 你好.
MICHAEL: It’s a pleasure to meet you Joana. 琼娜, 很高兴认识.
PAULO: I’m ready, but Joana... 我已经准备好了, 但是琼娜她...
JOANA: Oh, Paulo. Just five more minutes. Sorry to keep you waiting. 噢, 保罗, 再五分钟就好了.
对不起, 让你等.
MICHAEL: Don’t apologize. I’m happy you’re coming. 不用道歉, 我很高兴你们来参加.
MR. CRAWFORD: Michael. 迈克尔.
MICHAEL: Yes, Dad. 爸爸, 什么事?
MR. CRAWFORD: We have to talk. 我们必须谈一谈.
MICHAEL: Oh? What about? 哦? 谈什么?
MR. CRAWFORD: The business, son. 谈有关公司的事.
MICHAEL: What about it? 公司怎么样?
MR. CRAWFORD: It’s growing. I want an assistant, and... 公司在扩大业务,我需要一个助手,而.
MICHAEL: And you want me. 而您需要我.
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes. I’m 57. Soon... 对, 我已经五十七岁了, 没多久...
MICHAEL: Dad. You know I’m an artist. 爸爸, 你知道我是个艺术家.
MR. CRAWFORD: I don’t understand. 我不瞭解.
MICHAEL: I know you don’t. 我知道你不瞭解.
MR. CRAWFORD: You’re 29. You’re intelligent. 你二十九岁, 又很有头脑.
MICHAEL: And I want to paint. 我要画画.
MR. CRAWFORD: That’s a hobby, not a career. 那是一种嗜好, 不是一种职业.
MICHAEL: What about Michelangelo or Picasso? Was it a hobby for them, too? 米开朗基罗跟毕
加索呢? 画画对他们来讲也是一种嗜好吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: No. Of course not. But... 不是, 当然不是, 可是...
MICHAEL: But what? Maybe I’m not Picasso. But I have to try. Give me a year. One more year. 可
是怎么样? 我固然不是毕加索, 可是我不能不试一试. 再给我一年的时间好了, 一年.

着迷英语900 句
FRIEND: Don’t cry, Laura. You don’t have to work there. 劳拉你不要哭, 你不一定要在那里工作.
LAURA: But I need the money! 可是我不能喝西北风! (可是我需要钱呀!)
FRIEND: Why don’t you look for a new job? 你为什么不找一份新的工作?
LAURA: Where? How? I don’t know my way around New York. I feel lost. 到哪里找? 怎么找?
我对纽约不熟, 我感到茫然.
FRIEND: What’s wrong with the job, Laura? What don’t you like about it? 劳拉, 那份工作哪里不
好? 你是哪一点不喜欢呢?
LAURA: My boss. I don’t understand him. 我的老板, 我不瞭解他.
FRIEND: What don’t you understand? 你哪一点不瞭解?
LAURA: I don’t think he’s human. 我觉得他不是人.
FRIEND: What do you mean? 我不懂?
LAURA: For him, business is everything. Business is his life. 对他来说, 生意就
是一切, 生意就是
他的生命.
FRIEND: Oh, Laura. He can’t be so bad. 噢, 劳拉, 他不可能那么差劲.
LAURA: Oh, yes he is. He’s a machine. 他的确那么差劲. 他像机器一样.
LAURA: No friendly words, no smiles, no little compliments. Nothing. Just business. 从来不说一声
友善的话, 从来不微笑, 从来不称赞人家一下. 什么都没有, 就只有生意.
LAURA: He isn’t human. 他没有人性.
FRIEND: What about your work? You like it, don’t you? 你的工作怎么样? 你喜欢, 对不对?
LAURA: Yes, I do. And I know I’m a good secretary, but... 是的, 我喜欢. 而且我知道我是个好
秘书, 可是...
FRIEND: But what? 可是怎么样?
LAURA: To him, I am nothing. A machine. A late machine. I am not a machine. 我在他的眼里一文
不值, 是部机器. 一部过时的机器, 但我不是机器!
FRIEND: Why don’t you talk to him? 你为什么不和他说呢?
LAURA: Because he’s impossible. Leopards don’t change their spots. I have to look for a new job.
因为他不可理喻, 本性难移. 我必须找份新工作.
PAULO: What are you doing? 你在做什么?
JOANA: I’m writing a note to the Crawfords. I want to thank them for dinner. 我在写一封信给郭佛
家人, 以感谢他们的晚餐招待.
PAULO: Why don’t you call them? Here people always use the phone. 为什么不打电话? 这里的
人都是用电话的.
JOANA: Well, okay. 好吧.
PAULO: Why don’t we invite them to dinner? 我们为什么不请他们来吃晚餐?
JOANA: That’s a good idea. I want Mama to meet Mrs. Crawford. 这个主意很好, 我希望妈妈能
认识郭佛太太.
PAULO: What about Mr. Crawford? Don’t you like him? 郭佛先生呢? 你不喜欢他吗?
JOANA: He’s impossible. 他不可理喻.
PAULO: Be nice to him. 你要对他好一点.
JOANA: You can be nice to him. I don’t like him. 你可以对他好, 我可不喜欢他.
PAULO: Are you inviting Michael, too? 你也要请迈克尔吗?

着迷英语900 句
JOANA: Of course. 当然.
PAULO: He was very happy last night. 他昨天晚上很开心.
JOANA: I was, too. 我也很开心.
PAULO: But Michael is always so quiet. And last night, he was talking and laughing. 可是迈克尔总
是那么沉默. 而昨天晚上他有说有笑.
JOANA: What do you think about Michael? 你对迈克尔印象怎么样?
PAULO: I think he’s a great guy, but he isn’t very ambitious. 我认为他人非常好, 可是不太上进.
JIM: Grandfather, don’t lift that. Let me help you. 爷爷, 别提那个, 让我帮你忙.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Thank you, but... 谢谢, 但...
JIM: You have a bad back. 你的背脊骨不好.
MR. YAMAMOTO: I am old, but I’m not helpless. 我年纪大了, 可是还挺得住.
JIM: OK, Grandfather. Can I help you? 好吧, 爷爷. 能为您效劳吗?
CUSTOMER 1: Do you have any lettuce? 有没有萵苣?
JIM: Yes, sir. Over there, in the second case. 有的, 先生, 在那边, 第二个框.
CUSTOMER 1: How much is it? 怎么卖?
JIM: Seventy-nine cents a head. 一棵七毛九.
CUSTOMER 2: Excuse me. How much are the grapes? 请问葡萄怎么卖?
JIM: Ninety -nine cents a pound. 一磅九毛九.
CUSTOMER 2: And the oranges? 橙子呢?
JIM: They’re five for a dollar. 一块钱五个.
JIM: Can I help you? 买什么?
CUSTOMER 1: Please. I can’t find the lettuce. 麻烦你一下, 我找不到萵苣.
JIM: Isn’t there any in the second case? 第二个箱子里没有吗?
CUSTOMER 1: I don’t think so. 好像没有.
JIM: We don’t have a lot of lettuce today. How much do you need? 我们今天没有很多萵苣, 您需
要多少?
CUSTOMER 1: Not much. Only one head. Oh, and a few limes. 不多, 一棵就够了. 对了, 还要几
个酸橙.
JIM: The limes are over there. 酸橙在那边.
CUSTOMERR 1: There aren’t many there. 那边没有几个.
JIM: Oh? How many do you need? 哦? 您要几个?
CUSTOMER 1: Oh, four or five. 大概四五个.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Is anything wrong? 有什么问题吗?
CUSTOMER 1: Oh, hello, Mr. Yamamoto. 噢, 山本先生, 您好.
MR. YAMAMOTO: You know my name? 你知道我的名字啊?
CUSTOMER 1: Of course. Your market is famous. 当然, 您的店很有名.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Is it? 是吗?
CUSTOMER 1: There’s an article about it in the paper. Here, look. “GOING TO THE FAIR? FIRST
STOP: YAMAMOTO’S
FRUIT AND VEGETABLE MARKET.” 报纸上有一篇文章讲它。来, 你看:“打算到博览会去吗?
第一站:山本果菜店。”
JIM: May I buy the newspaper from you? 我能向你买这份报纸吗?

着迷英语900 句
CUSTOMER 1: No, take it, please. Here. 不用, 你拿去好了, 不要客气. 来.
JIM: Thank you. Now the lettuce. Here. There was a head in the case with the cabbage. 谢谢. 现在
找找萵苣看, 有了, 箱子里有一棵和洋白菜放在一起.
CUSTOMER 1: How much is it? 多少钱一棵?
JIM: Seventy-nine cents. 七毛九分.
MR. YAMAMOTO: No. Give it to him for forty cents. It’s the last head. 不必那么多, 算它四毛好
了, 那是最后一棵.
CUSTOMER 1: Thank you, Mr. Yamamoto. Good-bye. 谢谢您, 山本先生, 再见.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Good-bye. 再见.
JIM: OK. Who’s next? Whose oranges are these? 好的, 下一位是谁? 这些是谁要的橙子?
CUSTOMER 2: They’re mine. 是我要的.
JIM: And the potatoes? 马铃薯呢?
CUSTOMER 2: Hers. 是她的.
JIM: That’s $$1.99, please. 一共是一元九毛九分.
ALI: Hello, ice cream man. 您好, 卖冰淇淋的.
BILL: Hello, Ali. Are you alone? 阿里,你好, 你一个人啊?
ALI: Yes. 是的.
BILL: Where are your parents? 你父母在哪里?
ALI: I don’t know. 我不知道.
BILL: Really? Uh... Ali... 真的? 阿里, 这个...
ALI: May I have an ice cream sandwich, please? 我可不可以吃一个冰淇淋叁明治? 可不可以?
BILL: Sure, Ali. Why don’t you sit down and talk to me? 当然可以. 你为什么不坐下来跟我聊聊天?
ALI: OK. Here’s
thirty -five cents. 好. 给您叁毛五分钱.
BILL: Whose money is that? 那是谁的钱?
ALI: It’s mine. 是我的.
BILL: It’s yours? You’re a rich young man! 是你的? 你这个年轻人很有钱.
ALI: Yes. 对啊!
BILL: I like your jacket, Ali. 阿里, 我很喜欢你的外套.
ALI: I don’t. It’s my brother’s. 我不喜欢, 是我哥哥的.
BILL: Don’t you like your brother? 你不喜欢你哥哥吗?
ALI: No. My father and mother like my brother. He’s always good. I don’t like him. 嗯, 我爸爸妈
妈都喜欢哥哥. 他总是很乖, 我不喜欢他.
BILL: I like you, Ali. 阿里,我喜欢你.
ALI: May I come home with you? 我可不可以和您回家?
BILL: Look! Isn’t that your mother? She’s crying, Ali. 看! 那不是你的妈妈吗? 阿里, 她正在喊你.
ALI: Mommy! Mommy! Here I am! 妈! 妈! 我在这里!
第二集
PEDRO: Where were you last night? 你昨晚上哪儿去?
MIGUEL: At the movies. 看电影.

着迷英语900 句
PEDRO: Oh yeah? Which one? 哦, 真的? 哪一家?
MIGUEL: Uh, I forget. 唉, 我忘了.
PEDRO: Oh, you forget, huh? Were you with someone? What was her name? 哦, 你忘了, 嗯? 你
跟谁去的? 她叫什么名字?
MIGUEL: As a matter of fact, I was with... 事实上, 我是跟...
PEDRO: Aha! I’m never wrong. Was it anyone I know? 哈! 我没猜错. 我认识她吗?
MIGUEL: Yes, Pedro, I... 是的, 佩德罗, 我...
PEDRO: No. No. Let me guess. Hmm. It’s someone I know. Was it... 不, 不, 让我猜猜看. ... 嗯, 一
定是我认识的人, 她是...
MIGUEL: Pedro, this isn’t a game. 佩德罗, 这又不是游戏.
PEDRO: Oh, Miguel. You’re always so serious. Relax! Now, who... 唷, 米盖尔, 你就是这么认真.
轻鬆点! 嗯, 她是...
MIGUEL: Pedro... 佩德罗...
PEDRO: Was it the woman in the candy store? You know, the one with blond hair? 是糖果店的哪
位女孩子? 你认识的那位金发小姐?
PEDRO: She’s always smiling at you. 她常对你微笑.
MIGUEL: No, Pedro, it was... 不是, 佩德罗, 是...
PEDRO: Hmm, I’m usually good at these games. How about Danielle? 嗯, 我最会玩这种游戏了.
是不是丹尼尔?
MIGUEL: Shut up! 不要说了!
PEDRO: OK. OK. I give up. 好, 好, 我不猜了.
PEDRO: Who is the myste ry woman? 那神秘女郎是谁?
MIGUEL: Marta. 玛它.
PEDRO: Marta! 玛它!
MIGUEL: Yes. 是的.
PEDRO: Thanks for telling me. Women! What can you do? One minute she’s crazy about me, and
the next minute she’s
going out with you. 谢谢你告诉我. 女人! 你能怎么办? 一分钟前她还为我而疯狂, 一分钟后,
她却跟你出去了.
MIGUEL: I’m sorry, Pedro. 佩德罗, 很抱歉.
PEDRO: It’s OK. 没关系,
PEDRO: It’s your turn. 现在轮到你了.
MIGUEL: You’re wrong. 那你就错了.
MIGUEL: We really like each other. 我们真正的互相爱慕.
PEDRO: Good luck. 祝你好运.
MIGUEL: Pedro! 佩德罗,
MIGUEL: Aren’t you ever serious? 你就不
能正经点吗?
PEDRO: What’s happening, Tom? 汤姆, 发生了什么事?
TOM: Man, you know that chick in the bakery? 老兄, 你认识麵包店那女孩吗?
PEDRO: Yeah, Yolanda. 认识, 叫幼兰达.
TOM: No, man, not that one. Emma. 不, 老兄, 不是那个, 是爱玛.
PEDRO: Emma? 爱玛?

着迷英语900 句
TOM: Yeah. She’s there on weekends. You know her. She’s short. 是啊! 她每个周末都在这儿,你
认识她的,个子矮矮的。
PEDRO: What color is her hair? 她头发是什么顏色?
TOM: It’s blond. 金黄色的.
PEDRO: What color are her eyes? 她眼睛是什么顏色?
TOM: Dark brown. 深棕色.
PEDRO: Is she pretty? 她长得漂亮吗?
TOM: Yeah, she’s pretty, and she’s after you. 是的, 她很漂亮, 她在追你.
PEDRO: Yeah? 是吗?
“TOM: Yeah. She’s always asking me about you.” “How’s your friend?” “ And I say “” “Which
friend?” “You know, Tom. That tall, handsome guy with curly hair.” “是的, 她时常问我有关
你的事.” “你的朋友怎么样?” “我说”“那位朋友啊?” “你知道的, 那位高大而
英俊的男孩”
“TOM: And I say, “” “Oh yeah, him.” “我说”“哦,是他啊!”
PEDRO: Do you know her number? 你知道她的(电话) 号码吗?
TOM: Yeah, 263... 知道, 是263...
PEDRO: Wait a minute. OK. What is it? 请等一下, 好, 几号?
TOM: 263-7954. 263-7954
PEDRO: Thanks, buddy. 谢谢了, 朋友
JIM: He doesn’t watch television! 他不看电视,
JIM: He doesn’t go to the movies! He goes to the store every day. 他不看电影, 他每天去商店,
JIM: He never takes a day off! 他未曾休假过!
PEARL: Jim, calm down. 吉姆, 静下来.
JIM: He never laughs! He never gets angry! 他不曾笑过, 不曾生气过!
FRANK: That’s the way he is, Jim. 他就是那样, 吉姆.
JIM: Is he happy? Is he sad? Do you know, Dad? He’s your father. 他快乐吗? 悲伤吗? 爸, 你知
道吗? 他是你的父亲.
FRANK: He doesn’t think about happiness, Jim. 吉姆, 他不曾考虑过快乐,
FRANK: He thinks about his family and his obligations. 他只想到他的家庭与责任.
JIM: That’s no way to live. 那并非生活之道.
PEARL: Maybe not, but it’s his way. 也许不是, 但却是他的生活方式.
JIM: All right. It’s his way. But... 好吧, 那是他的方式, 不过...
PEARL: But, what? 不过什么?
JIM: Why doesn’t he like me? 他为什么不喜欢我?
JIM: Why does he insult me in front of the customers? 为什么他当着顾客的面侮辱我?
PEARL: He doesn’t, Jim! I don’t believe it. 他不会的, 吉姆, 我不相信.
“JIM: It’s true, Mom. He always says, ““All of the customers know the prices. Why don’t
you?”““ “确实是这样子, 妈, 他
常常说”“所有的顾客都晓得价格, 为什么你就不知道?”““
PEARL: Oh, Jim, that’s the way he is. 噢, 吉姆, 他就是那样子.
JIM: OK. but does he have to be that
way all the time? We work together every day, but we never
talk to each other. Either

着迷英语900 句
he changes or I quit. 好,但是他有必要整天都这样子吗?我们每天一起工作就从来没说过话。
不是他改变,就是我不。
FRANK: You know, Jim, 你知道的, 吉姆,
FRANK: you are his favorite grandchild. 你是他最疼的孙子.
JIM: How do you know? 你怎么知道?
FRANK: He doesn’t say it, but I know. 他没说过, 但我明.
JIM: I give up. 我不说了.
CUSTOMER: Congratulations, Mr. Yamamoto. You’re famous! 恭喜你, 山本先生, 你出名了.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Famous? 出名?
CUSTOMER: Yes. That was a great article about you in the paper. 是啊? 报上有一大篇关于你的
文章.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Ssh. Don’t tell the vegetables. They don’t know yet. 嘘! 不要跟蔬菜说, 它们
还不知道呢!
CUSTOMER: What does your family think about it? 你家人觉得怎样?
MR. YAMAMOTO: They’re very happy about it. It’s good for business. 他们很高兴, 这有助于生意.
CUSTOMER: Where’s Jim today? 吉姆今天到那里去了.
MR. YAMAMOTO: He’s at the Fair. He’s celebrating. 他在博览会, 他庆贺去了.
CUSTOMER: What’s he celebrating? 他庆贺什么?
MR. YAMAMOTO: My new fame and fortune. 我的新名誉和运气.
CUSTOMER: Maybe he’s right. Why aren’t you celebrating with him? 也许他是对的, 你为什么没
跟他一道庆祝呢?
MR. YAMAMOTO: Celebrations are for young people.庆祝是属于年轻人的.
CUSTOMER: Well, maybe. But all of us need a day off, sometimes. Why don’t you go to the Fair,
Mr. Yamamoto? 嗯,
也许是, 不过, 我们大家有时候也是需要休息的. 山本先生, 你何不到博览会去呢?
MR. YAMAMOTO: I don’t really like crowds. 我真不喜欢人群.
CUSTOMER: I can understand that. But you can go on Wednesdays or Thursdays. It’s not so
crowded then. 我能瞭解,
不过, 你可以在星期叁或星期四去, 那时候就没有那么拥挤了.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Yes? Well, maybe. 是吗? 好吧, 也许.
: It isn’t a large room, and the furniture in it isn’t expensive. 房间不大, 里面的家具也不昂贵.
: At one end of the room, there is a small window. 在房间的末尾有个小窗户.
: Next to the window is a large bed. 窗户旁边是张大床.
: In fact, the only large thing in the room is the bed. 事实上, 在这房间里唯一的大东西就是床.
: There are other things, too; a bookcase, a small night table, a desk and chair, a dresser, and clothes.
也有其他的东西: 一个书柜, 一张小床头几, 一张桌子和椅子, 化妆台, 被褥.
: There are shoes and socks under the bed; shirts, pants, and sweaters on the chair; dirty underwear
and ties on the floor;
suits, jackets, and a coat in the small closet. 鞋子, 袜子放在床下;衬衣, 裤子、和毛衣搭在椅上;
脏内衣和领带搁在地板上;西装、夹克和外衣, 挂在小衣橱里.
:
There are several cameras, five maybe six, and photographs of women, hundreds of them --large
ones and small ones

着迷英语900 句
--on the desk and on the walls. 有几架照相机, 五架也许是六架, 有大大小小数以百计的女性照
片摆在桌上或挂在墻壁上.
: The photographs are smiling, laughing, crying, standing, and sitting. 这些照片上的人有的微笑,
有的大笑, 有的哭泣, 有的站着, 有的坐着.
: One thing is very clear. Pedro likes women very, very much. 很明显的一件事实, 佩德罗非常非
常喜欢女性.
: Pedro’s mother doesn’t lik e to go into his room. 佩德罗的母亲不喜欢到他的房间.
“: She does, of course, because she wants to clean, but she is not happy about it. ““The room is full of
women. He doesn’t
need me.”“ she says.” “当然, 她还是会去, 因为她必须加以清理, 但是, 她是不十分愉快的, 她
说”“房子里满是女人, 他根本就不需要我”“.”
: How old is Grandfather? I don’t know. He never talks about his age. 爷爷多大了? 我不知道, 他
从不提他的年龄.
: He’s around seventy, maybe seventy -five. 他大概在七十岁上下, 或许是七十五岁.
: Years ago he was a strong man. 多年前, 他还是个健壮的人.
: He was a farmer, a soldier, and a wrestler. 他以前是个农夫、军人与角力选手,
: He was the pride of his village. 他常以他的乡村为荣.
: Now he’s getting old. He doesn’t see without his glasses, and he can’t lift heavy things. 现在, 他渐
渐老了, 不戴眼镜
便看不见东西, 他无法搬动笨重的东西,
: His hair is thin and almost all white. 他的头发稀疏而且几乎全白了,
: But he has a strong face. 倒是他有个健康的脸色.
: Grandfather loves his store. He needs the store. It’s his only joy. He has friends, but they are all old.
爷爷很喜欢他的
商店, 他需要这商店, 那是他唯一的享受. 他有朋友, 但他们都老了.
: Oh, yes, he has us, the family, and I guess he loves us, but he doesn’t show it. 噢, 对了, 他有我们
这些家人, 我猜他是爱我们的, 只是他从不表现出来.
: He lives in the past. All of his friends are living in the past. At least the past can’t change. 他活在
往事里, 所有他的朋友都活在往事里, 至少往事不能改变.
: They can’t take it away from you. 你无法把过去拿走,
: It’s always there, and you can close your eyes and see it. 它总是在那儿, 即使你闭上眼睛, 仍能
看得见.
: Grandma was a kind lovely lady, and Grandfather’s world is not the same without her. 奶奶是个仁
慈可爱的女人, 没有她, 爷爷的世界就不一样了.
: Pedro is attractive. There’s no doubt about it. Women are crazy about him. But he’s spoiled. 无可置
疑的, 佩德罗是很迷人的,女孩们都为他痴狂, 但他被宠坏了.
: I don’t like that. 我不赞成如此.
:
It’s not right to break a date. 失约是不对的,
: But, it’s funny, I don’t feel bad about it. 但说来奇怪, 我却不觉得那是坏事.
: I’m sure he breaks dates with women all the time. That’s the way he is. 我确知他经常是对女孩子
失约, 那是他的一贯作风.
: Why did I want to go to the party with him? 为什么我要跟他去参加宴会呢?

着迷英语900 句
: Why not? 为什么不去呢?
: Why did I change my mind? 我为什么要改变主意呢?
: A feeling. That’s not an answer, I know. 是一种直觉, 我知道, 那不算是个答案.
: But my feeling was right. I didn’t really want to go out with him. He didn’t really care about me. 不
过, 我的直觉是对的, 我并不真的要跟他出去, 他并不真的在乎我.
: I was only a date for the evening. All right, it wasn’t nice, but he certainly didn’t die of a broken
heart. 我只是那天
晚上一个约会的对象而已, 好吧, 算是不对, 但是他也没有伤心而死.
: Didn’t he go to the party anyway? 他最后不是去了吗?
: Yes, I think he did. I’m sure he did. 对! 我想他去了, 我相信他去了.
: Miguel is different. He is serious and considerate. But he’s young, and he doesn’t know the ways of
the world. And he’s
going home soon. 米盖尔便不同, 他正经而体贴, 只是年轻而不够世故, 而且他没事便回家,
: Oh, well. 噢, 对了!
: He isn’t very handsome, but he has a beautiful smile. 他不十分英俊, 但他有个很美的微笑.
JOANA: Mama, the Crawfords are coming to dinner next Wednesday. 妈, 郭佛家人在下星期叁将
来我们家吃晚餐.
MRS. FARIAS: Mr. Crawford. 郭佛先生?
MRS. FARIAS: Isn’t he one of Paulo’s business acquaintances? 他是不是保罗的生意上的朋友之
一?
JOANA: Yes. 是的.
MRS. FARIAS: I see. When are they coming? 我明白了, 他们什么时候来啊?
JOANA: Next Wednesday, the nineteenth. 下星期叁, 十九号.
MRS. FARIAS: How many people are there going to be? 一共有多少人来呢?
JOANA: Six in all. Mr. and Mrs. Crawford, Michael, Paulo, you and me. 共六位, 郭佛夫妇, 迈克
尔, 保罗, 你和我.
MRS. FARIAS: What are you going to serve? 你准备做什么呢?
JOANA: I’m not sure. 我不太确定.
MRS. FARIAS: Do they like Brazilian food? 他们喜欢巴西菜吗?
JOANA: I don’t know. 我不知道.
“MRS. FARIAS: We could make ““feijoada.”“ Everyone likes that.” “ 我们可以做”“feijoada”“ (咸
八宝饭), 每个人都喜欢这种菜的.”
JOANA: I suppose so. What do you think? 我也这么想, 您认为怎么样?
JOANA: It isn’t very fancy. 那并不很新奇.
MRS. FARIAS: Well, they’re your guests. You decide. 好吧! 他们是你的客人, 你决定.
“JOANA: You’re right. ““Feijoada”“ it is.” “ 您是对的, 就做”“咸八宝饭”“.”
MRS. FARIAS: Tell me about Michael. 告诉我一些有关迈克尔的
事.
JOANA: Well, he’s very tall and handsome. He has big blue eyes and long blond hair. 好啊! 他高
大而英俊, 有一双大大的碧眼及长长的金黄头.
MRS. FARIAS: Oh? How long? 哦! 有多长啊?
JOANA: Down to his shoulders. It’s beautiful. Like gold. 到他肩部, 很漂亮的, 就像黄金一样.
MRS. FARIAS: What does he do, dear? 他做些什么事呢? 孩子.

着迷英语900 句
JOANA: He does many things. 他做许多事,
JOANA: He’s very creative. 他很有创造力,
JOANA: He’s a great painter, really. He also gives free English lessons to the people in his
neighborhood. 事实上他是
个画家, 他还免费帮他的邻居上英文课.
MRS. FARIAS: I see. 我懂了.
JOANA: You’re going to like him. Everybody does. 你将会喜欢他的, 每个人都喜欢他.
MRS. FARIAS: Where does he live? 他住在哪儿啊?
JOANA: He has a small apartment on 88th Street. 他有间小公寓, 在八十八街.
MRS. FARIAS: A small apartment. On 88th Street. 小公寓, 在八十八街.
JOANA: Don’t worry, Mama. 不要操心, 妈,
JOANA: I’m not going to marry him tomorrow. 我不会明天就嫁给他的.
: Michael. Hello. How nice of you to call! 迈克尔, 喂, 你打电话来太好了!
: This Friday night? What a good idea! 这个星期五晚上? 多好的主意!
: Yes. I’m sure Paulo can come. He doesn’t work Friday nights. 是的, 我确定保罗会去, 他星期五
晚上不工作.
: Can I help? I could bake a cake. 要我帮忙吗? 我可以烘蛋糕.
: Don’t be silly. I like to bake, and I love parties. 不要傻了, 我喜欢烘蛋糕和参加宴会.
: Can I see some of your paintings? 我能参观你的一些画吗?
: Yes, really. I paint, too. 是的, 真的吗? 我也画画.
: I never talk about it. I’m not very good. In fact, my paintings are pretty bad. 我从不说它, 我画得
不好, 事实上, 我画得很差.
: No. I don’t have any with me. They’re all home in Brazil. 不, 那些画并没在我身边, 它们全在巴
西的家里.
: Oh, really? Perhaps some afternoon I could go to art class with you. 噢, 真的吗? 或许那天下午,
我能够跟你一起上艺术课.
: Fine. See you Friday, then. 很好, 星期五见.
: Friday, at 8:30. Thank you. Good night. 星期五, 八点半, 谢谢你, 晚安.
NORA: Good morning, sir. May I help you? 早安, 先生, 我能效劳吗?
CUSTOMER: It’s our anniversary today. I’m looking for the same flowers as the ones in her
wedding bouquet. 今天
是我们结婚年, 我要找(买) 一些和内人在婚礼上所拿的相同的花束.
NORA: What do they look like? 是什么样子的?
CUSTOMER: White. They’re white. 白色的, 白色的花束.
NORA: How tall are they? 有多高啊?
CUSTOMER: They’re short, I guess. About the same height as those short flowers over there. 我想,
它是矮矮的, 差不多跟那边的花朵一样高.
NORA: Do they look like roses? 它像玫瑰?
CUSTOMER: No. They look lik
e little bells. 不像, 它们看起来像个小钟形.
NORA: Oh --lilies of the valley. No, I’m sorry. 哦--铃兰, 很抱歉,
NORA: We’re out of them at the moment. 这个时候我们没有铃兰.
CUSTOMER: Oh, that’s too bad. 哎呀, 那太糟了.

着迷英语900 句
NORA: What about roses? 买些玫瑰怎么样?
CUSTOMER: OK. 好吧!
CUSTOMER: How many do you suggest? 你认为需要多少?
NORA: As many as you like, sir. They’re beautiful, aren’t they? 你需要多少就买多少, 先生. 它们
很漂亮, 不是吗?
CUSTOMER: Yes, they are. 是的, 很漂亮.
NORA: Hi, Peggy. Hi, Suzy. 嗨, 蓓姬、苏西,
NORA: What a nice surprise! 真是巧极了.
PEGGY: Hi, Mom. We’re on our way home from school. 嗨! 妈, 我们刚下课正要回家.
NORA: Excuse me a minute, girls. 等一下, 孩子们.
NORA: Jane, can you take care of this gentleman? Now, how was school today? 珍, 你能来招呼这
位男士吗? 好了, 今天在学校怎么样?
SUZY: The same as always. 老样子,
PEGGY: Oh. There was one thing. 哦, 有件新鲜事.
NORA: Oh? 哦?
SUZY: Jack was in a big fight. 杰克跟人家打架.
NORA: Is he all right? 他还好吧?
PEGGY: I think so. But he’s in the principal’s office. 我想是没事, 不过他在校长室.
NORA: Oh, no! 噢, 真糟糕!
SUZY: Why are Billy and Jack so different from each other? 为什么比利与杰克会有这么大的不
同呢?
NORA: I don’t know, dear. I really don’t. 我不知道, 孩子, 我真不知道.
SUZY: When are you coming home, Mom? 妈, 您何时回家?
NORA: It’s Friday. The store is open until 9:00 tonight. 星期五, 这家店营业到九点.
SUZY: Gee, you’re as bad as Dad. 唉! 你跟爸爸一样糟糕.
NORA: What do you mean, dear? 孩子, 这话是什么意思?
SUZY: You’re never home, either. 你也从不回家.
: Of course, sir. We send flowers anywhere in the country. 当然, 先生, 在这个地区里任何地方我
们都送的.
: Well, tulips are very pretty. 嗯, 鬱金香是很漂亮的.
: They look like... uh... well... cups. 看起来像是... 嗯... 杯子.
: Oh, she likes roses. Then send her roses. 噢, 她喜欢玫瑰, 那就送玫瑰给她.
: No, in fact, tulips aren’t as expensive as roses this year. 不, 实际上, 今年的鬱金香不像玫瑰那么
昂贵.
: Fine. How many tulips do you want to order? 好, 你要订多少鬱金香?
: Certainly. For $$10.00 I can send sixteen. 当然了, 十块钱可以送十六朵.
: Yes. We usually include a short note with the flowers. 是的, 我们都在花中夹一便条的.
“: ““To Mom. Happy Birthday.”“ Yes, that’s fine. Your mother’s name and address, please?”
“送给妈妈,祝您生日快乐”,“是的,那很好,你母亲的名字和地址,能告诉我吗?”
: Mrs. G. Crawford. 143-29 Park Avenue. Is that C-R-A-W-F-O-R-D? 郭佛太太, 公园大道一四叁
之29 号, 是不是C-R-A-W-F-O-R-D ?

着迷英语900 句
: Thank you. And your name and address, please? 谢谢你, 请告诉我你的名字和地址.
: Michael Crawford. 342 88th Street. Thank you very much. Have a nice day, sir. 迈克尔郭佛, 八十
八街叁四二号, 谢谢您的惠顾, 祝您有个愉快的日子, 先生.
BILL: Hi, Ali. Where are your parents today? 嗨, 阿里, 你爸妈今天到哪儿去了?
ALI: They’re eating in the Italian restaurant again. 他们又上意大利餐馆去了.
ALI: I like hot dogs more than spaghetti. 我喜欢热狗甚于意大利,
ALI: And ice cream is the most delicious thing in the world. 然而冰淇淋又是世界上最美味可口的
东西了.
ALI: It’s not fair. 那是不公平的.
BILL: What isn’t fair, Ali? 什么不公平, 阿里?
ALI: They can eat as much spaghetti as they want. 他们高兴吃多少条就能吃多少,
ALI: But I can’t eat as many hot dogs and ice cream sandwiches as I want. Do you have children? 但
我想吃多少热狗和冰淇淋叁明治却不能。你有孩子吗?
BILL: I have two boys and two girls, 我有两男两女,
BILL: but they are all older than you. 不过他们都比你大.
ALI: How old are the boys? 男孩有多大?
BILL: Bill, Jr., the oldest, is seventeen. Jack is sixteen. 小比尔最大, 他十七岁, 杰克是十六岁.
ALI: Do they play baseball? 他们打棒球吗?
BILL: They sure do. Do you play baseball? 当然了, 你也打棒球吗?
ALI: Not yet. But I’m going to learn soon. I’m almost seven years old. 还没. 不过, 我很快会去学
的, 我差不多七岁了.
MR. NIKZAD: Ali! I’m sorry, sir. Is my son bothering you again? 阿里! 很抱歉, 先生, 我的孩子
又来打扰你了吗?
BILL: Not at all. He’s a fine boy. 那里, 他是个乖巧的孩子.
MRS. NIKZAD: Thank you, Mr... 谢谢你, 先生...
BILL: O’Neill. 奥尼尔.
ALI: Father, Mr. O’Neill’s sons play baseball. 爸, 奥尼尔先生的孩子都打棒球.
MR. NIKZAD: That’s nice, Ali. 阿里, 那很好啊!
ALI: I want to learn, too. 我也要学,
ALI: But nobody wants to teach me. 但是没人教我.
MR. NIKZAD: You’re too young, Ali. 阿里, 你太小了.
ALI: You always say that. 你老是那么说,
ALI: I’m pretty big for my age. 就年龄来说, 我已经很大了.
BILL: Excuse me, there’s a big crowd over there. Business before pleasure. 对不起先生, 那边有一
大群人, 我先去做生意了.
MR. NIKZAD: Certainly. 那当然, 当然.
ALI: Good-bye, Mr. O’Neill. 再见, 奥尼尔先生.
BILL: Bye, Ali. See you soon. 再见, 阿里, 待会见.
ALI: You know, Father, he isn’t really an ice cream man. He’s just pretending. He’s really a secret
agent. 爸, 你知道
吗? 他不是真的冰淇淋小贩, 他是? 装的, 其实他是个密探.

着迷英语900 句
MRS. NIKZAD: What an imagination you have, Ali! 阿里, 你真会想像!
MR. NIKZAD: More imagination than sense. 想像超过常识.
MRS. NIKZAD: Don’t spoil it for him, dear. Childhood
is the happiest time of life. 不要责怪他, 亲
爱的, 童年是一生中最快乐的时期.
: Hello. 哈.
: Hi, Bill. 嗨! 比尔.
: Oh, no. But it’s Saturday night! 噢, 不, 今天是末晚上!
: Yes, I know. But we never see each other these days. The children never see you, either. 是的, 我
知道, 但这几天我们彼此都没见面, 孩子也没见过你.
: And what about dinner? It’s almost ready. 那晚餐怎么样? 我都快弄好了.
: I know. That’s the way it is. I’m just disappointed. 我知道, 就是这样, 我只是很失望.
: Around 9:00? Well, OK. Wait. Why don’t you let me type your report? Then you could come home
now. 九点左右?
好罢, 等等, 何不将你的报告让我来打字? 那么你现在就可以回来了.
: No. We don’t need any. We have lots of paper at home. 不, 我们不需要, 家里还有很多纸.
: OK. Good. See you around 8:15. Bye, dear. 好罢, 八点十五分再见, 拜拜, 亲爱的.
MR. CRAWFORD: Ms. Segura, step into my office, please. 瑟姑拉小姐,
MR. CRAWFORD: Bring your steno pad. 请带着速记簿到我的办公室来!
MR. CRAWFORD: To Mr. James C. Wilson, President, United Printing Corp. 给联合印刷公司董事
长詹姆斯·威尔逊先生,
MR. CRAWFORD: You can look up the address in the files. 你可在档案中找到他的地址.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
“MR. CRAWFORD: ” “Dear Sir: Please send this office 10,000 copies of the World’s Fair brochure.
Thank you. Sincerely, ” “ and sign my name.” “威尔逊先生,请寄一万份世界博览会手册,谢
谢您。”“ 然后签我的名字。”
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Send that out this morning, Ms. Segura. 今天早上要寄出, 瑟姑拉小姐.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: It’s Mrs. Crawford’s birthday. 今天是郭佛太太的生日,
MR. CRAWFORD: I want to buy her some flowers. 我要买些花给她,
MR. CRAWFORD: Call up the florist and tell him to send my wife a dozen roses. 打个电话给花商,
请他送一打玫瑰给我太太.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的. 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Ms. Segura, 瑟姑拉小姐,
MR. CRAWFORD: here is yesterday’s letter to Bissell Industries. 这是昨天给比塞尔实业公司的信,
MR. CRAWFORD: There is an error in the second paragraph. Please be more careful, Ms. Segura.
在第二段中有个错误, 请多加小心, 瑟姑拉小姐.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Any questions? 有什么问题吗?
LAURA: Only one. 只有一个.
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes? 什么事?
LAURA: When do you want to look for a new secretary? 您什么时候要另外找一个秘书?

着迷英语900 句
MR. CRAWFORD: I don’t understand, Ms. Segura. We don’t need another secretary. 我不明白你
的意思, 瑟姑拉小姐, 我们并不需要另外新的秘书啊?
LAURA: I am giving you two weeks’ notice, Mr. Crawford. 我给您两个星期去物色, 郭佛先
生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Are you resigning from the firm, Ms. Segura? 瑟姑拉小姐, 你真的要辞职吗?
LAURA: Yes, Mr. Crawford. I’m sure you can find someone better than I. 是的, 郭佛先生, 我相信
您一定能找到比我更行的秘书.
MR. CRAWFORD: Very well, Ms. Segura. Put an ad for a secretary in tomorrow’s paper. 好吧, 瑟
姑拉小姐, 在明天报上刊个征求秘书的广告.
LAURA: Yes, Mr. Crawford. 是的, 郭佛先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: This is very inconvenient. 真是麻烦.
LAURA: I’m sure it is. 我相信是很麻烦.
SALESMAN: Can I help you? 我能效劳吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: Yes. I want to paint my son’s bedroom. I think sky blue is pretty color. 是的, 我要
粉刷我孩子的卧室, 我想天蓝色的顏色很棒.
SALESMAN: How big is the room? 房间有多大?
MRS. NIKZAD: Not very big. 不很大.
SALESMAN: How many gallons of paint do you want? 你要多少加仑的油漆呢?
MRS. NIKZAD: I don’t know. 我也不晓得.
SALESMAN: Look, why don’t you tell your painter to buy the paint? 嘿, 你为什么不告诉你的油
漆匠去买油漆呢?
MRS. NIKZAD: I am the painter. 我就是油漆匠.
SALESMAN: Well, then. Do you know the size of the room? 哦, 那么, 你知道房间的尺寸吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: No. I’m sorry, I don’t. 不, 很抱歉, 我不知道.
SALESMAN: Is it larger or smaller than this store? 它比这个商店大或小?
MRS. NIKZAD: It’s about half the size of this store. 大约是这个店的一半大小.
SALESMAN: You need two gallons. 你需要两加仑.
MRS. NIKZAD: Now what do I do? 现在我该怎么办?
SALESMAN: Madam, why don’t you get a painter? 夫人, 你为什么不找个油漆匠?
MRS. NIKZAD: My son and I want to paint the room together. 我儿子要跟我一起粉刷房间.
SALESMAN: All right. Here. Read these instructions. Do you want the paint now? 好, 这里, 看看
这些指导说明, 你现在就要油漆吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: Yes, please. 是的.
SALESMAN: Two gallons of sky blue. That’s $$21.39. 两加仑天蓝色的共是二十一元元角九分.
MRS. NIKZAD: Thank you. What time do you close? 谢谢, 你什么时候关店?
SALESMAN: We’re open till 6:30 tonight. 我们今晚营业到六点卅分.
: I think I’m falling in love with him. Oh, what am I going to do? 我想我正与他谈恋爱了, 噢, 我
怎么办?
: Could I be his wife? 我能成为他的妻子吗?
: How long could I live in a little apartment on a poor street? 我能在这穷巷小屋住多久呢?
: He’s an artist. He doesn’t think about money, but I do. 他是个艺术家, 他不在乎钱的问题. 但是
我在乎,

着迷英语900 句
: I like life’s little luxuries. 我喜欢一点奢华的生活,
: I like to buy pretty things --new dresses and jewelry. 我喜欢买一些漂亮的东西──新的衣服,
珠宝等.
: I could live without them, I guess, but... do I want to? 没有这些固然可以生活, 我想; 但是我希
望这样子
吗?
: I guess I could always find a job. I could work in an office or I could teach Portuguese. 我想我随
时可以找到工作, 我可以在公司里工作, 或教教葡萄牙文.
: Or could I? 我能吗?
: Maybe Mama is right. Maybe I couldn’t live on 88th Street. 或许妈妈是对的, 说不定我无法在八
十八街过下去,
: It’s a long way from home in Brazil. 从这里到巴西太远了,
: Paulo wants to stay here, but Mama is going to go home soon. 保罗希望留在这里, 只是妈就要回
家了.
: She misses Papa and her life there. 她怀念爸爸和在那里的生活,
: And what about me? 而我呢?
: We could live six months here and six months there. 我们可以在这里住个半年, 在那边住半年,
: No. That’s ridiculous. 不行, 那太荒唐了,
: What am I going to do? 我该怎么办呢?
: I love his eyes. Who knows? 我喜欢他的见解, 谁知道?
: We all grow and change. Anything could happen. 我们都会长大而改变的, 任何事情都可能发生.
: It’s not easy to be the mother of four children, take care of a house, and go to work. 当个有四个孩
子, 又要照料家务, 又要出去工作的母亲是不简单的,
: I’m not complaining, though. Really I’m not. 可是我不抱怨. 真的, 我不会抱怨.
: Bill has a good job, and he always works overtime to make as much as he can. But we can always
use some extra money. 比尔有好工作, 他时常尽可能的加班, 而我们也时常需要额外的钱,
: Four children eat a lot of food. 四个孩子要吃的东西是很多的.
: I didn’t go to college. What could I do? 我没读大学, 我能做什么呢?
: I was a mother at nineteen. 我在十九岁的时候当了妈妈.
: I didn’t see much of the world then. 因此我对这世界看到的并不多.
: The children are all in school now, and I want to do something new. 现在孩子们都上学去了, 我
希望做些新的事情,
: I’m not old yet. I want to live and learn and grow as much as I can. 我还不老, 我要尽我所能的生
活、学习和成长.
: This is my first job in eighteen years, and I love it. 这是我十八年以来的第一个工作. 我喜欢它,
: I love to work with flowers. I want to learn about the business, too. 我喜欢跟花一起工作,我也要学
习有关做生意的事。
: Someday, I’m going to own a shop like this one. 有一天, 我自己将会拥有一间像这样的店.
: You know my brother, Ali, but you don’t know me. 你知道我弟弟阿里, 但不认识我,
: I am Hussein M. Nikzad. I’m nine and a half. 我是胡辛M·尼克萨德, 我九岁半,
: I am very strong for my age, and I’m very smart in school. 我很健壮, 在学校里也相当聪明,
: All my teachers say so. 我所有的老师都这么说.

着迷英语900 句
: I do my homework, and I pay attention to my teachers. 我做我的功课, 也听我的老师们的话,
: I like books. I read all the time. 我喜
欢书, 所有的时间都在看书,
: I can add, subtract, multiply and divide. 我能加、减、乘、除,
: I can read and write English and Farsi, 我能读与写英文和波斯语.
: and I know all about the heroes of my country. 我晓得我的国家所有英雄的事,
: I am going to be famous, too. 我也要成为着名的人物,
: I am going to build cities and roads and bridges and everything. 我打算建造城市、道路、桥梁, 以
及一切的一切.
: Ali is a strange kid. 阿里是个奇怪的孩子,
: He thinks everyone is a Martian and ice cream vendors are secret agents. 他认为每一个人都是火
星人, 以为贩卖冰淇淋的人是密探.
: Why does he eat ice cream all the time? 为什么他老是吃冰淇淋?
: Sometimes I think Father is right. Ali acts like a child all the time. 有时候我认为父亲是对的,阿里
的行为始终像个小孩,
: He never could sit still. 从来不曾安静下来过,
: He doesn’t listen to anyone. 他不听任何人的话,
: He’s forgetting Farsi, too. 他也逐渐忘了波斯语.
: What is he going to do next year in Iran? 明年在伊朗他将做些什么呢?
: Ali hates me. It’s not my fault. 阿里憎恨我, 那并非我的错,
: He hate s me because I’m bigger and smarter, and I’m Father’s favorite. 他恨我是因为我长得比
较大也比较聪明, 而且我是爸爸所疼爱的,
: Father doesn’t say that, of course, but I know it. 爸虽然不说, 但是我瞭解,
: And Ali knows it, too. 当然, 阿里他也知道.
: But Ali’s okay, really. 不过阿里真的也还好,
: Sure, sometimes he does crazy things, 当然, 他有时候会做些疯狂的事来,
: but he’s not a bad kid. 但是他不是个坏孩子.
第叁集
LAURA: Hi, Bill. 嗨, 比尔你好.
BILL: Hi, Laura. How are you today? 嗨, 罗拉. 你今天怎么样?
LAURA: Awful. I resigned. 糟透了! 我辞职了.
BILL: You resigned? Why?你辞职了? 为什么?
BILL: You liked the job, didn’t you? 你不是蛮喜欢那份工作吗?
LAURA: Yes and no. I never liked my boss. You know that. 喜欢也不喜欢,我始终都不喜欢我的老
板,这个你是知道的.
BILL: Yes. But it was an interesting job, wasn’t it? 对, 可是那份工作不是蛮有趣的吗?
LAURA: Yes. 是的.
LAURA: We handled all the advertising and promotion for the Fair. 我们负责万博会所有的广告与
宣传促销.
BILL: Well, what are you going to do now? 那么, 你现在打算怎么样.

着迷英语900 句
LAURA: Find another job. Do you need a secretary? 找新工作. 你需不需要一个秘书?
LAURA: I type sixty words a minute.我一分钟可以打六十个字.
BILL: No, not today. But did you look in the newspaper? 今天不需要. 不过你可曾在报纸上找过?
LAURA: Yes. Nobody needs a secretary this week. 找过了, 这个礼拜那里都不缺秘书.
BILL: What about the employment office here at the Fair? 万博会的人事处如何呢?

BILL: Did you check with them? 你到那边问过没有?
LAURA: No, I didn’t. 没有, 我没有.
BILL: Why not? 为什么不去呢?
LAURA: Because they aren’t going to help me. 因为他们不会帮助我的.
LAURA: I resigned from a good job! 我已经辞掉一份很好的工作!
BILL: Maybe you’re wrong. 也许你错了.
LAURA: Oh, Bill. You need recommendations to get a good job. Mr. Crawford isn’t going to give
me a recommendation.
噢, 比尔, 要找一份好工作, 非有以前雇主的推荐不可. 郭佛先生不会帮我写推荐函的.
BILL: Look. 我跟你讲,
BILL: Mr. Crawford is difficult to work for, right? 替郭佛先生作事很艰难, 你说是不是?
LAURA: Right. 是.
BILL: Well, maybe the employment office knows it, too. 也许人事处里也知道这个情形.
LAURA: Is that possible? 有那个可能吗?
BILL: Of course, it’s possible! Maybe you’re his seventh secretary in two years! 当然有可能! 说不
定你是他两年来第七任秘书!
LAURA: Maybe. Thanks, Bill. 也许吧. 谢谢你, 比尔.
BILL: Don’t mention it. Good luck. 不足挂齿, 祝你成功!
RD: Hi, dear. How was your day?嗨, 亲爱的, 你回来啦! 今天过得好吗?
RD: Oh, the same. 噢, 老样子.
RD: How’s your secretary? Does she come in on time now? 你那个秘书怎么样?
她最近准时上班吗?
RD: Yes... well, in fact, she resigned today. 是的... 嗯, 事实上, 她今天已辞职了.
RD: Laura? Resigned? Why? 罗拉? 辞职了? 为什么?
RD: I don’t know. Maybe because I criticized her typing. 我不知道. 也许是因为我
批评她打字技术不好.
RD: She’s a good typist, isn’t she? 她是一位好打字员, 对不对?
RD: Yes, usually. 是, 通常是打得不错.
RD: Well? 怎么讲?
“RD: ““Usually”“ isn’t ““always.”““ “““通常”“ 是不等于”“经常”“ 的.”
RD: You are too critical, dear. 你太挑剔了, 亲爱的!
RD: Please. It’s my business. 拜托, 那是我的事情.
RD: Don’t talk to me that way. And don’t forget, it was my father’s business. You’re
too critical of everything and everyone; of me, of the boys... 不要这样对我说话,你也不要忘了,公
司本来是我爸爸的.你对每一个人,每一件事物都太挑剔, 包括我, 我们的儿子...
RD: Jane, please, don’t bother me. 珍, 我求你不要烦我.
RD: Look, Gary, I live here, too. They are my sons, too. 贾瑞你听我讲,这个家也

着迷英语900 句
是我的,儿子也是我的..
RD: I’m tired, and I don’t want to talk about it. 我很累,我不想讨论这些.
MIGUEL: What a mess! 这里乱透了!
PEDRO: You sound like my mother. Watch out! 你讲话像我妈妈一样,小心啊!
PEDRO: Don’t step on that sweater. 别踩了那件毛衣.
MIGUEL: Hey, that
’s my sweater. 嘿, 这件毛衣是我的!
PEDRO: Uh, yes, I guess it is. 这个... 好像是.
MIGUEL: You’re a slob, Pedro, but you’re a great photographer. 你是个大垃圾虫, 佩德罗. 可是,
你却也是个第一流的摄影师.
MIGUEL: Some of these pictures could be in magazines. 这些照片可以登到杂志上去.
PEDRO: Thanks, Miguel. 谢谢你, 米盖尔.
MIGUEL: Hey, here’s an old picture of you. You had a mustache! 嘿, 这里有一张你以前的照片.
你留了小鬍子!
PEDRO: Let me see. 给我看.
MIGUEL: Yo u’re standing with a guy with long blond hair. He looks American. 你跟一个金黄长
发的家伙站在一起, 他看起来好像是美国人.
PEDRO: Yes, he is. He was my first good friend here. A very creative guy. 是的, 他是我来这边以
后的第一个好朋友, 是一个很有艺术创作力的年轻人.
PEDRO: I met him at the art school downtown. 我是在市中区那间艺术学校认识他的.
MIGUEL: What’s his name? You never talk about him. 他叫什么名字? 你从来没提过他.
PEDRO: His name’s Michael. 他叫麦可,
PEDRO: He was in love with this woman. 他跟这位小姐相恋,
PEDRO: He wanted to marry her. She was beautiful, but crazy. 他想娶她. 她很漂亮, 但是有点神
经兮兮的.
“MIGUEL: What do you mean ““crazy?”““ 你说她神经兮兮的, 是什么意思?
PEDRO: One day, she came to my door. She didn’t love Michael anymore. She fell in love with me.
有一天她来到我家门口. 她不再爱麦可了, 她爱上了我.
MIGUEL: Just like that? 就那样吗?
PEDRO: Well, sure, I flirted with her, but I flirt with everyone! 这个... 当然罗, 我有逗过她, 可是
我谁都逗.
MIGUEL: What happened? 结果怎么样?
PEDRO: You know I can’t resist a pretty face. 你是知道的, 我没办法抗拒漂亮女孩子的魔力.
MIGUEL: And Michael? What did he do? 那么麦可呢? 他的反应怎么样?
PEDRO: He never spoke to me again. About a year ago I tried to call him, but he hung up on me. 他
跟我断绝来往了. 大概一年前我给他打电话, 可是被他挂断了.
MIGUEL: What happened to the girl? 那个女孩怎么样了?
PEDRO: We saw each other a few times. 我们彼此见了几次面,
PEDRO: Then she moved to Florida. 然后她搬到佛罗里达去了.
PEDRO: She has a sister there. Things like that don’t last long. 她有一个姊姊住那里. 像那种事情
是不持久的.
BILL: Hi, Paulo. 嗨, 保罗.

着迷英语900 句
PAULO: Hi, Bill. How’s business? 嗨, 比尔, 生意怎么样?
BILL: Fine. How’s yours? 不错, 你呢?
PAULO: Coming along. We’re opening some new exhibition soon. Oh, by the way, we’re looking
for a secretary. 还好,
我们有一个新展览会快要开幕了, 哦, 对了, 我们正要请一位秘书.
BILL: Really? I know a good one. She wants a new job. 真的? 我认识一位好秘书, 她需要一个新
的工作.
PAULO: Where can I find her?
她在哪里?
BILL: I can give her your number. I see her every day. 我可以给她你的电话号码, 我每天都看到她.
PAULO: OK. Here’s my card. Tell her to call me. Oh, what’s her name? 好, 这是我的名片, 叫她
打电话给我, 对了, 她叫什么名字?
BILL: Laura Segura. 罗拉·瑟姑拉.
PAULO: Segura... Isn’t she Mr. Crawford’s secretary? 瑟姑拉... 她不是郭佛先生的秘书吗?
BILL: She was. She resigned. 那是以前, 她辞职了.
PAULO: I don’t think I can hire her. My office does a lot of work with Mr. Crawford’s office. It
could be embarrassing.
我恐怕不能用她. 我的公司跟郭佛先生的公司有生意来往, 那将会很尴尬的.
BILL: I see. That’s too bad. 我瞭解, 那真可惜.
PAULO: Yes, it is. But perhaps we can find her a job in another department. 是的, 不过, 我们也许
可以在其他部门帮她找到工作.
BILL: Thanks, Paulo. 谢谢, 保罗.
PAULO: Sure, Bill. 不客气, 比尔.
: Dear Mama, 亲爱的妈妈:
: There is so much to tell you, Mama. 我要和您说的事情太多.
: Everything here seems different, but, at the same time, everything seems the same. 这里的一切,
都好像不一样. 可是,在同样的时间, 每件事情又似乎是相同的.
: Yesterday was a good example. 昨天就是一个很好的例子.
: At 7:00 the alarm clock rang and woke us up. 闹钟在七点钟时叫醒了我们,
: I turned on the radio, and we listened to the news. 我打开了收音机, 我们收听新闻报导.
: But the news is in English, not Spanish. 可是, 那是英语新闻, 不是西班牙文.
: For breakfast, we have coffee and bread, but the coffee and bread don’t taste the same as they do at
home. 我们早餐吃麵包喝咖啡, 可是这里的麵包、咖啡跟家里所吃的味道却不一样.
: Even the water tastes different! 就连自来水的味道都不一样呢!
: At 9:00 I left the house. 我九点钟出门.
: At night, after dinner, we talked and watched television. 晚上吃晚餐以后我们聊天看电视.
: The movies here are the same: war stories, westerns, and mysteries. 此地的影片千篇一律: 有战
争片、西部片和侦探片.
: At about 9:30 one of Pedro’s friends stopped in to say hello. 大概九点半左右, 佩德罗的一个朋
友进来寒喧了一下,
: At about 11:00 Pedro called each one of his twenty girlfriends to say good night and told each one a
different story.
大约在十一点左右, 佩德罗给他二十个女朋友一个一个的打电话道晚安, 并分别说了二十个不

着迷英语900 句
同的故事给她们听.
: I like Pedro more and more. 我越来越喜欢佩德罗.
: I learn a little more English every day. 我每天都学到了一些英语,
“: Yesterday, I learned the word ““embarrassed.”““ “我昨天学会了”“尴尬”“ 这个字.”
: love, Miguel 儿, 米盖尔上
: PS You asked for a photograph. Here it is. 再启: 您向
我要的照片随函附上一张.
: The girl next to me is Marta. She lives upstairs. 在我旁边那个女孩子叫玛它, 她住在我的楼上.
: My father died the year I was born. 我爸爸在我出世的那年去世了,
: Life was difficult in Spain in those years. 那个年头, 在西班牙谋生很不容易.
: My mother decided to move to Mexico because people said things were easier there. And there was
no reason to stay in
Barcelona. 我妈妈因为听说在墨西哥生活比较容易, 所以决定搬到那边去, 而认为没有理由留
在巴塞隆纳.
: It broke my mother’s heart to leave, but it also broke her heart to stay. 我妈妈不舍得走, 可是又不
愿留下.
: She sold her diamond ring, the only thing she had, and bought two tickets to Mexico. 她把她唯一
的财产钻戒卖掉, 而买了两张到墨西哥的船票.
: There, in Mexico, I forgot yesterday’s miseries. 到了墨西哥以后, 我把过去的困苦境遇都忘掉,
: After all, I was only a child. 毕竟当时我还只是个小孩子.
: But our new life was not like my mother’s golden dreams. 可是我们的新生活并没有我妈妈想像
的那么美.
: I grew up and had to go to work. 我长大后, 就必须去作事,
: I was very unhappy. 我非常的不快乐.
: We were poor and alone in the world. 在这个世界上我们既穷又孤单.
: At eighteen, I married an older man. 十八岁那年, 我嫁给一个年纪比较大的男人.
: He had a little money, and I spent a few happy years with him. 他有一点钱, 我和他过了几年快
乐的日子,
: I got new clothes and lived in a fine house. 我买了很多新衣服, 并住在一栋很漂亮的房子里.
: But I didn’t love him, and I think he knew it, too. 不过, 我并不爱他, 我想他也知道.
: It wasn’t his fault. He wasn’t a bad husband. 这不是他的过失, 他并不是一个不好的丈夫,
: He wanted a quiet life and a big family. 他希望日子过得很平静, 及子女生得很多.
: I didn’t. We fought about it and made each other miserable. 而我不要, 我们为了这件事而吵架,
弄得彼此都很苦闷.
: Finally we got a divorce. After that I came to New York.最后我们离婚了, 离婚后我就到纽约来了.
: My dear husband, Francisco, 我亲爱的丈夫法兰西斯哥:
: I miss you, my dear, but we are happy and healthy, and the children send their love. 亲爱的, 我真
想念你, 我们都很愉快很健康. 孩子们都向你问好.
: Paulo is busy every minute. 保罗时时刻刻的忙着,
: He is just like you, so sensible, maybe too sensible. 他跟你一样, 脚踏实地. 也许他过度脚踏实地,
: He thinks about business all the time. 一天到晚想着生意的事情,
: He doesn’t have any real friends here. 在这里他没有什么真正的朋友.
: Joana is growing up before my eyes. 琼娜在我眼前迅速长大,

着迷英语900 句
: Every day she grows more mature, less shy, an
d more confident. 她一天比一天成熟, 没有以前害
羞, 比以前更有自信.
: She’s getting serious about art again, so she’s going to take some courses at one of the schools here.
她又对艺术认真
起来, 因此打算在此地的一所学校进修.
: She’s talented, but not very patient. She has a lot to learn. 她有天分, 但没有多大耐心, 还有许多
事情有待学习.
: I am enjoying the Fair, but most of all, I am enjoying the children. 我很喜欢到万博会玩, 但是,
带给我最大的乐趣, 还是孩子们,
: I am very proud of them. 我真以他们为傲.
: At first, Joana was nervous about her English, but now she is almost fluent. 琼娜当初耽心她的英
文不够好, 可是现在几乎和美国人一样流利了.
: As a matter of fact, she is teaching me! 事实上, 她还教我呢!
: So, my dear, how are you? 亲爱的, 你还好吗?
: How are things at home? I miss you. 家里的情形怎么样? 我真想念你,
: I read and reread all your letters. 你的信, 我都看了又看.
: Your devoted wife, 你挚爱的妻
: Alicia 爱丽霞上
: What are we going to do with Ali? 对于阿里我们将怎么做?
: What do you mean, dear? He’s only six. 你是什么意思? 他才六岁.
: He’ll be seven in a few weeks. It’s time to think about his future. 他再过几个礼拜就
七岁了, 该为他的前途着想了.
: Oh, dear. 哦, 亲爱的.
: You spoil him, Zahra. 萨拉, 你太宠他了.
: And you’re too strict. You’re always criticizing him. 但你对他太严了, 你总是对
他吹毛求疵.
: Because he never behaves. Why can’t Ali be more like Hussein. 因为他从不守规矩,
他为什么不能像郝仙那样?
: But dear, they are different people. They’ll never behave the same way. 但是, 亲爱
的, 他们俩个是不同的啊! 他们的举止完全不一样.
: We take him to the Fair, and what does he do? He runs away! 我们带他去万博会,
而他做什么呢? 他跑掉了!
: He’s a very independent child. 他是个很独立的孩子.
: I’ll never understand him. And what an imagination! He thinks ice cream vendors are
secret agents. He talks to animals and toys. 我永远不会瞭解他. 他多么有幻想力! 竟然把冰淇淋
摊贩视为密探, 还对着动物和玩具讲话.
: All children are like that, dear. 所有的小孩子都是那样子的, 亲爱的.
: No, Zahra, all children are not like that. 不, 萨拉, 并不是每一个孩子都是这样子,
: You can’t make excuses for him forever. 你不能永远为他找藉口.
: Last year he misbehaved because he didn’t understand English. 去年他不乖是因为
他不懂英文,
: This year you won’t be able to use that excuse. 今年你不能再用那个理由了.

着迷英语900 句
: Then we
’ll have to find a school for children like Ali. 那么我们必须找一所可以收
容像阿里这样孩子的学校.
: Where will you find a school for stubborn children with bad manners? 哪里有学校可
给又顽强又不懂礼貌的孩子去念?
: He won’t listen to anybody. 他是谁的话都不听的.
: He’s not stubborn; he’s independent. But don’t worry. I’ll look for a school for
creative children. 他并不顽强, 他是独立. 你放心好了, 我将会找到一所给创作力特别强的儿童
念的学校.
: Won’t you ever believe me? 你永远不相信我吗?
: The boy needs discipline. 他需要的是管教.
: Let me try, Simon. Maybe I can find the right school. 塞门, 让我试试吧. 也许我
可以找到适合的学校.
: All right, Zahra. But next year, back in Iran, things will be different. 好的, 萨拉. 可
是明年可是明年回到伊朗以后, 事情将会不一样的.
: Be patient, dear.你要有耐心, 亲爱的.
: Ali will make you proud one day. 有朝一日, 阿里会让你感到骄傲的.
: Where is Ali now? 阿里现在在哪里?
: Watching TV. 他在看电视.
: Are you sure? It’s very quiet in there. 你确定吗? 里面一点声音也没有.
: What are you doing, Ali? 你在作什么? 阿里
ALI: Ssh. You have to be very quiet! 嘘, 安静些!
: Why? What are you doing? 为什么? 你在作什么?
ALI: Can’t you see, Mommy? The Martians are landing. 难道你没注意到吗? 火星人着陆了.
: Oh. Well, we’re eating dinner. 哦, 我们要吃饭了.
ALI: OK. 好.
: Aren’t you coming? 你不来吃吗?
ALI: No, I’m not. 是, 我不要吃.
: Ali, your father will be very angry. 阿里, 你爸爸会非常生气的.
ALI: No, he won’t. He’ll be happy. 不会的, 他会很高兴.
: Why? 为什么?
“ALI: I ruin his dinner. He always says, ““Ali, why do you always ruin my dinner?”““ “我破坏他的
晚餐, 他老是说: ““阿里, 你为什么老是破坏我的晚餐?”““
: He won’t say that tonight. 他今天晚上不会这样说.
“ALI: Then he says, ““Why can’t you be like Hussein?”“ I hate Hussein! I don’t want to be like
him.” 然后他说: u 你为什么不能像赫仙那样?」我恨赫仙! 我不要像他那样!
: Ali, that’s a terrible thing to say about your brother. 阿里, 你这样说你哥哥真是可怕!
ALI: But it’s true. 那是真的.
: Ali, my little Martian, I won’t enjoy my dinner without you. I’ll miss you. Won’t
you come to the table and eat with me? 阿里, 我的小火星人. 你不在我身边,我吃晚餐就没有乐
趣. 我将会想念你的, 请你到餐桌跟我一起吃, 好不好?
ALI: OK. But remember, it’s only for you. 好, 可是要记住, 我是为了你
而已.
: I’ll remember. It’ll be our secret. 我会记住, 那将是我们两个人的秘密.

着迷英语900 句
FRANK YAMAMOTO: Father? 爸?
TO: Yes? 什么事?
FRANK YAMAMOTO: Wouldn’t you like to take a walk to the Fair today? 您今天有兴趣到万博
会去走走吗?
TO: It’s Saturday. I have to be in the store. 今天是礼拜六, 我必须到店里去.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: I’m sure Jim can take care of the store. 我相信吉姆可以照料店里的事.
TO: I don’t like crowds. 我不喜欢人多的地方.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: I know, Father, but it’s early. There won’t be many people there at this hour.
我知道, 爸爸, 现在还早呢. 这个时候不会有很多人的.
TO: I’d rather go on a weekday. 我宁愿平常日子去,
TO: Saturday is our busy day at the store. 礼拜六是店里最忙的一天.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: Take a one-day vacation. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. 休一天假吧, 我敢保证
你会觉得很好玩.
TO: I don’t know, Frank. 我真怀疑, 法兰克.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: People come from around the world to see the Fair. You’re lucky. You live
right around the corner.人们从世界各地到万博会来参观, 您很幸运, 您刚好住在附近.
TO: What’s the weather like today? 今天天气怎么样?
FRANK: It’s a beautiful spring day. It would be good for you to spend a day in the sun. 是个美丽的
春天. 花一天的时间晒晒太阳对您是很有益的.
TO: Can I get to the Fair by bus? 我可以搭公车到万博会吗?
FRANK: It’s not far. Take a taxi. It won’t be expensive. 并不远, 坐计程车去, 不会太贵的.
TO: No. I’ll take the bus. 不, 我要坐公车.
FRANK: OK. Take the number 20. It goes right to the Fair. 好吧! 坐二十路, 它直开到万博会.
TO: Where is my good coat? 我那件好的大衣在哪里?
FRANK: In the hall closet. But you won’t need a coat today. 在走廊的壁橱里, 可是你今天不必穿
大衣,
FRANK: The sun is shining, and it’s going to get warm. 外面是晴天, 而且会逐渐变暖的.
TO: Are you sure it’s not going to rain? 你确定不会下雨吗?
FRANK: I don’t think so, but anything is possible. Your raincoat is in the hall closet, too. 我不这么
认为, 可是天气是无法预料的, 您的雨衣也放在走廊的壁橱里.
TO: You know, Frank, I’m not as young as I was. 我跟你讲, 法兰克, 我老了.
FRANK: No one is, Father. 我们都老了, 爸爸.
TO: You’re right. Help me with my coat, Frank. 你讲得对, 帮我将大衣穿上. 法兰克,
FRANK: Have a good time, Father. 祝您玩得很愉快, 爸.
TO: Thank you, Son. 谢谢你, 儿子.
PEDRO: Excuse me. How much is the bus? 对不起, 请问巴士车票多少钱?
WOMAN: Fifty cents. 五毛钱.
PEDRO: Will the driver change a $$10 bill? 十块钱的钞票司机可以找得
开吗?
WOMAN: I don’t think so. Oh, here’s the bus. 我想不会的, 噢, 车来了.
WOMAN: Oh, no! 噢! 真糟糕.
BUS DRIVER: What’s the matter, lady? 你怎么了? 女士.
WOMAN: Look at me! 你看我!

着迷英语900 句
BUS DRIVER: You look beautiful to me. 你看起来很漂亮呀!
WOMAN: Look at my dress! It’s ruined! 你看我的衣服! 完蛋了!
BUS DRIVER: I’m sorry, miss. 对不起, 小姐.
WOMAN: Is that all you can say? ‘I’m sorry, miss.’ What about my dress? “你就只能说这个吗?
““ 对不起, 小姐. ““ 我的衣服怎么办?”
PEDRO: What are you going to do about this? 这事你该怎么办?
BUS DRIVER: Who are you? 你是谁?
PEDRO: Who do you think I am? 你以为我是谁?
BUS DRIVER: Look, mister. I’m sorry. It’s raining. The streets are wet. 瞧, 先生, 我很抱歉. 外面下
着雨, 街道都是湿的.
PEDRO: Let’s sit down, dear. 我们坐吧, 女士.
BUS DRIVER: Hey, mister! You forgot to pay! 嘿, 先生! 你忘了付车钱!
PEDRO: I did not forget. Is the bus company going to pay for a new dress? 我没有忘记付钱, 汽车公
司将付新衣服的钱吗?
BUS DRIVER: Forget it! Forget it! Sit down. 算了! 算了! 你坐吧.
WOMAN: Very clever. Do you ever pay for the bus? 真聪明, 你经常免费坐车吗?
PEDRO: By the way, my name is... 对了, 我的名字是...
PAULO: And that, Mr. Crawford, is our plan. We’d like your agency to handle the publicity. 郭佛先
生, 我们的计划就是这样子. 我们愿意由你的代理商去负责宣传.
RD: Good. 很好,
RD: Now let me make sure I have all the facts. 让我来确定一下我所知道的整个事情.
PAULO: Certainly. 请便.
RD: The Brazilian Pavilion is planning a competition for young artists. 巴西馆计划
为年轻的艺术家们举办一次比赛.
PAULO: Yes, and by the way, the Pavilion will display many of the entries during the final month of
the competition.
对. 噢, 对了, 在比赛的最后一个月, 很多应征的作品要在巴西馆展览出来.
RD: I see. Now, the entries must all be oil paintings, correct? 好的. 参加比赛的作品都
必须是油画, 对不对?
PAULO: Yes. 对.
RD: Is there an age limit for the participants? 对参加比赛的人, 有没有年龄上的限制?
PAULO: We were thinking of thirty or thirty -five. But you must know more about this than I do. 我
们考虑以叁十岁或叁十五岁为限. 不过, 关于这方面的事, 您知道的比我多,
PAULO: You have more experience. 您的经验比较丰富.
RD: I think thirty is the right limit. How old are you, Paulo? May I call you Paulo? 我
认为叁十岁最好, 保罗, 你几岁了? 我可以叫你保罗吗?
PAULO: Of course, sir. Twenty-nine. 当然可以, 我二十九岁.
RD: Yo u’re the same age as my son Michael. 你跟我儿子麦可一样大.
PAULO: Yes. 喔.
RD: Forgive me. Where were
we? 对不起, 我们刚才讲到哪里?
PAULO: We were discussing the rules of the competition. 我们刚才在讨论比赛的规则.
RD: Yes. Now, you mentioned a grant. 对了, 你提到了奖助金,

着迷英语900 句
RD: What kind of a grant were you thinking of? 你们考虑什么样的奖助金?
PAULO: We were going to offer a scholarship, a living allowance, and air fare to and from Brazil.
What do you think of that idea? 我们打算发给一份奖学金, 还有生活费津贴及到巴西的来回飞
机票, 你认为这构想怎么样?
RD: Excellent. 非常好,
RD: What about the deadline for the entries. 参加的截止日期呢?
RD: Six months from today? 从今天起六个月?
PAULO: Yes. They have to enter by November 1. 是的, 他们必须在十一月一号以前报名,
PAULO: We’ll announce the winner the following month. 而我们将在下一个月宣布得奖者.
RD: Good. Well, I can have sample brochures ready for you in a week. 好. 我有小册
子的样本, 一个星期之内可以给你.
PAULO: Fine. 很好.
RD: Then, I’ll see you a week from today. Is 2:00 convenient? 那么, 一个礼拜以后见.
两点钟, 方不方便?
PAULO: Perfect. 再好没有.
MR. CRAWFORD: Ms. Segura, Mr. Farias is leaving now. Good-bye, Paulo. 瑟姑拉小姐, 法瑞斯
先生现在要走了, 保罗再见.
PAULO: Good-bye, Mr. Crawford. And we’ll see you and Mrs. Crawford for dinner on Wednesday.
郭佛先生再见, 礼拜叁吃晚餐的时候, 我们就可以跟您和郭佛太太见面了.
MR. CRAWFORD: We’re looking forward to it. 我们正期待着.
MR. CRAWFORD: Were there any calls? 有没有电话?
LAURA: Yes. Your wife called fifteen minutes ago. 有. 夫人十五分钟以前打电话来.
MR. CRAWFORD: Did she leave a message? 有没有留话?
LAURA: No, sir. And your next appointment is here. Mr. Robert Gardner. 没有, 下一个人已经来了,
罗巴特·迦德纳先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Send him in, please. 请叫他进来.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
LAURA: Your coat, Mr. Farias. 法瑞斯先生, 您的大衣.
PAULO: Thank you, Ms. Segura, Good day. 谢谢你, 瑟姑拉小姐, 再见.
LAURA: Good day, sir. 再见, 先生.
LAURA: As you see, Claire, the office is very formal.如你所看到的, 这里是非常规规矩矩的.
CLAIRE: Yes, 嗯,
CLAIRE: I realized that when Mr. Crawford interviewed me. 郭佛先生面试的时候我就领会到了.
LAURA: Well, let’s go on. The files are easy. We keep our files in alphabetical order. 好了, 我们继
续吧. 档案很简单, 我们这里的档案按照字母顺序排列.
CLAIRE: Who handles the accounts? 谁管帐?
LAURA: We have an accountant. 我们请到一位会计师,
LAURA: He comes in once a month and goes over the books. 他一个月来查一次帐.
CLAIRE: Laura, may I ask you a question? 罗拉, 我有一件事想问你一下, 可以吗?
LAURA: Of course
. 当然可以.
CLAIRE: May I ask why you’re leaving? 我想问你为什么辞职?
LAURA: I’d rather not say. 我宁可不说.

着迷英语900 句
CLAIRE: I understand. I’m sorry. 我瞭解, 对不起.
LAURA: No, don’t apologize. Where were we? Oh, yes. 没关系, 不用道歉. 刚才我们讲到哪里了?
哦, 对了,
LAURA: Well, we keep the office supplies in this cabinet-paper, typewrite ribbons, pads, pencils,
pens, envelopes, etc.
公司的文具都放在这个柜子里: 纸张、打字机色带、便笺(印色) 、铅笔、钢笔、信封等等.
LAURA: Do you have any questions so far? 到此为止有没有问题?
CLAIRE: Yes. How often do you work late? 有, 你时常工作得很晚吗?
LAURA: Hardly ever. 几乎没有过,
LAURA: Mr. Crawford doesn’t like to pay overtime. 郭佛先生不喜欢付加班费.
CLAIRE: Good. Because I don’t know if I can stay late. I go to school at night. 很好, 因为我不知道
我是否能留得很晚, 我晚上要上课.
LAURA: What are you studying? 你念什么?
CLAIRE: Law. when I was a girl, I wanted to be a lawyer. And I’m going to be one. 法律, 我小的
时候就想作律师, 而我即将就是了.
LAURA: I admire you. 我真佩服你,
LAURA: It must be difficult to work while you’re going to school. 一边上班一边读书一定很辛苦.
CLAIRE: It is, but it’s what I want to do. 苦虽苦, 不过那正是我希望做的.
LAURA: Good luck. Oh, I almost forgot. We publish a World’s Fair newsletter. Henry Leeds is the
editor. His office is across the hall. I think that’s it. 祝好运. 哦, 我几乎忘记了, 我们出版一份万
国博览会期刊, 编辑是里德斯. 他的办公室在走廊对面,我想那就是.
CLAIRE: Uh -where’s the ladies’ room? 嗯... 女用盥洗室在哪里?
LAURA: Oh, around the corner, second door on the left. 噢, 转弯左边第二个门.
CLAIRE: I want to thank you for all your help. 我必须谢谢你帮我这么多的忙.
LAURA: I was happy to do it. Here are the keys. After 5:00 today, it’s all yours. One more thing, be
on time! He gets angry when you’re late. 我很高兴能够帮你忙, 钥匙给你. 今天五点后全交给你
了, 还有一件事, 要准时来! 当你迟到的时候他会生气的.
AA: What am I doing here? What’s wrong with this office? Everyone’s so quiet. Nobody talks,
nobody smiles. 我在这里做什么? 这家公司是怎么搞的? 所有的人都那么沉默, 没有人说话,
没有人微笑.
AA: Oh well, yesterday was only the first day, and things can change. In any case, it won’t last
forever. 不要想了, 昨天只是第一天; 情况总可以改变. 无论如何, 这是暂时性的.
AA: All right. It’s 8:30. Where is everybody? 好了, 八点半了, 人都到哪里去了?
AA: You’re early, Claire. Relax. Look around. I wonder where the newsletter file is. 克蕾尔, 你来
早了, 不要紧张, 熟悉环境,我不知道那个期刊档案在
哪里?
CLAIRE: --Good morning, Mr. Crawford. 您早. --郭佛先生
RD: --Good morning, Ms... Lindstrom. You’re here early. Excellent. -早安, 林斯顿
小姐, 你来早了, 很好.
AA: I don’t know when I’m going find the time to study. I can study during my lunch hour, I guess.
我不知道什么时候才能抽空念书. 大概可以在吃午餐的时候念书吧! 我想
AA: Here they come. 8:55 exactly. 他们来了, 八点五十五分正.
HENRY: --Good morning, Claire. My name is Henry. We met yesterday. I edit the newsletter. --克

着迷英语900 句
蕾尔早, 我叫亨利, 我们昨天见过面的. 期刊是我编辑的.
CLAIRE: --Yes, of course I remember. Good morning, Henry. --对, 我当然记得, 亨利您早.
: Dear Miguel, 亲爱的米盖尔:
: Who is this girl, Marta, in the photograph? 照片上面那个女孩子玛它是谁?
: she is very pretty. 她真漂亮.
: Oh, my poor Miguel! 噢, 我可怜的米盖尔!
: I know you are lonely, but you are so young! 我知道你很寂寞, 但是, 你还很年轻!
: Don’t ruin your life. 不要浪费你的生命.
: You have to continue your studies or you’ll never find a good job. 你一定要继续读书, 否则的话
永远找不到好的工作.
: I’m glad you are having a good time, but we worry about you. 我很高兴你玩得很开心, 不过, 我
们替你担心,
: We don’t even know who she is. 连她是谁, 我们都不知道.
: Is she a nice girl? 她是一个好女孩子吗?
: Is she from a good family? 她有个好家世吗?
: Can you tell me what her father does? 你能不能告诉我她爸爸做什么事?
: You won’t do anything foolish, will you, Miguel? 米盖尔, 你可不能作傻事,
: You don’t know how important you are to us. 你不知道你对我们来说是多么的重要.
: Do you remember the Monteros? 你还记不记得蒙特若夫妇?
: They moved to New York about seven years ago. 他们大概七年前搬到纽约去了,
: They have a daughter, a very pretty girl. 他们有一个很漂亮的女儿,
: She’s just about your age. 跟你差不多一样年纪.
: They won’t recognize you, of course, but they’ll remember us, and they’ll be very happy to see you.
当然, 他们会认不出你是谁, 但是还会记得我们. 他们看到你, 一定会很高兴.
: The girl’s name is Maria. 他们的女儿叫玛丽亚,
: I’m sure you’ll find the number in the telephone book. 我想你在电话簿里一定可以查到电话号码,
: His first name is Fernando. 他的名字叫费南多.
: Forgive me, Miguel. 请原谅我, 米盖尔,
: I know you are a man now, 我知道你已经不再是小孩子了,
: but you are also my son. 可是, 你仍然是我的儿子.
: I worry about you, and I suppose I always will. 我替你担心, 我想, 大概永远会替你担心.
: Love, Mama 妈
: PS Write soon. 再启: 快一点来信.
: It was a warm day, warm for April.是一个温暖如四月的天气.
: People were walking around the Fair with their coats over their arms. 在万国博览会有人一边把大
衣挂在胳膊上, 一边散步.
: The sun was bright, and there were little white clouds in the blue sky. 太阳很大, 蓝色的天空里有
小小的白云,
: The trees wore a light green smile. 树木露出浅绿色的笑容.
: At noon the Saturday crowd was very large. 在星期六的中午一大堆人群,
: Adults were laughing, children were crying, and everyone was having a good time. 大人们在笑,

着迷英语900 句
小孩子们在叫, 大家都玩的很开心.
: A thousand vendors were selling ice cream, hot dogs, and cold drinks. 无数的摊贩在卖冰淇淋、热
狗和冷饮.
: It was a beautiful, spring morning --这是一个美丽的春天的上午,
: the kind you want to last forever. 一种使人们希望它会持续到永远的天气.
: Later in the afternoon, the sun was not so bright, 下午之后, 太阳没那么炎热了,
: the sky was not so blue.天空也不那么蔚蓝.
: The little white clouds were now large and gray. 小小的白云变成了大大的黑云.
: There was a drop here, a drop there... 这里掉了一滴雨水, 那里掉了一滴...
: then ten thousand noisy drops. 然后哗啦哗啦的下了倾盆大雨.
: People shouted and ran in every direction. 人们一边喊叫一边向四面八方跑,
: Then there was silence, the sun, the blue sky, and a rainbow. 然后一切平静下来, 天空中又出现
了太阳、蓝天, 还有一道彩虹.
: I admire Claire. 我真羡慕克蕾尔.
: She works all day and goes to school at night. 她白天上一天的班, 晚上还要去读书.
: She knows where she’s going and what she wants, and she’s willing to work for it. 她掌握了人生
的方向和目标, 而且肯为达到目标而努力.
: Am I? 我能吗?
: In my first job, I was secretary. 我第一份工作是当秘书,
: When I married my husband, I quit. 结婚以后我就辞职了.
: After I left him, I went back to the same office. 离开丈夫以后就回到同一个公司,
: I never thought about other possibilities. 我始终没有考虑走别的路.
: When I came here, I got a job right away. 当我来到这里以后, 马上有了工作.
: I was happy with anything. 那个时候我一点也不挑剔, 对任何事情都感到很快乐.
: Now I’d like a change. 而现在我却想换一个环境.
: First things first. 首先最重要的是,
: What skills do I have? 我有些什么技能?
: --OK. I can do anything. --是的, 我什么都能作.
: --Anything? --什么都能做吗?
: --Yes, anything. --是, 我什么事都能做.
: --Come on now, Laura. Be realistic. --罗拉, 你不要这样子了, 面对现实点吧!
: --All right, almost anything. --好吧, 差不多什么都能做.
: I can speak, read, and write English and Spanish. 我能说、读、写英文和西班牙文,
: I can run an office. 我能负责办公室的一切事务.
: I
’m friendly and competent. 我又合群又能干,
: Uh... there must be more. 嗯... 一定还有,
: Oh, yes, I type and take shorthand in two languages. 对了, 我有两种语言的打字和速记技能.
: --Well, then, if you can do all that, --那么, 你既然有这些技能,
: you don’t have to work for the Mr. Crawfords of the world! 就不必要替郭佛先生这种人工作!
: --But, what will I do, then? --那么我将要怎么做呢?
: --Well, what kind of job would you like? --你想要怎么样的工作?

着迷英语900 句
: Do you want to work in an office again? 你愿不愿意再到办公室去工作?
: There’s so much to think about. 要考虑的事情可真多!
第四集
MICHAEL: Good-bye, Miguel. Nice meeting you. Good-bye, Marta. Thanks for coming. 米盖尔再
见, 很高兴认识你. 玛它再见, 谢谢你的光临.
MARTA: Bye. Don’t forget our English lesson on Wednesday. 再见, 星期叁补习英文, 你可不要
忘了!
MICHAEL: I won’t. I’ll be there. And why don’t you come, too, Miguel? 放心好了, 我会来的, 米
盖尔你也来, 好不好?
MIGUEL: Thank you. I will. And thank you for inviting me to the party. It was a lot of fun. 谢谢,
我会来的, 谢谢你邀请我参加宴会. 我玩得很开心.
MARTA: Thank you again, Michael. I’ll see you next Wednesday. Joana, it was a pleasure meeting
you. 麦可, 谢谢你, 下星期叁见. 琼娜, 很高兴认识你.
JOANA: Thank you. It was a pleasure meeting you and Miguel. 谢谢, 很高兴认识你和米盖尔.
ALL: Good night. 晚安!
MICHAEL: Well.好了,
MICHAEL: Let’s sit down for a few minutes. 我们坐一会吧.
MICHAEL: I can clean up later. 我等一会再清理.
JOANA: No, let me help you. 不, 让我来帮你忙.
MICHAEL: No, that’s all right. I can do it by myself in the morning. 不必; 没关系, 明天早上我可
以自己清理.
JOANA: It was a very nice party. It’s too bad Paulo had to work late. 宴会很成功, 可惜保罗必须
加班.
MICHAEL: Yes, it is, but I’m glad you had a good time.嗯, 很可惜! 不过, 我很高兴你玩得很开心.
JOANA: I liked your friends. 我喜欢你的朋友.
MICHAEL: They liked you, too. I could tell. As a matter of fact, you made everybody feel
comfortable. 他们也喜欢你.
我看得出来, 事实上, 你使大家都感到很自在.
JOANA: That’s easy. You’re a great host. 那很容易, 你是个出色的主人.
MICHAEL: Well, you’re a pretty good hostess. 那么, 你是个很棒的女主人了,
MICHAEL: I was tired of giving parties by myself. 我自己办宴会都办累了.
JOANA: You know, when I was a teenager, 知道吗? 我在少女时代
JOANA: I used to go to parties all the time. 经常参加聚会.
JOANA: I enjoyed myself every minute--parties, dances, boys. 我一天到晚玩得非常开心, 参加聚
会, 去跳舞, 交男朋友.
MICHAEL: It sounds like fun. 听来蛮有趣的.
JOANA: It was. I used to live from
dance to dance. 真的很好玩, 一个舞会结束了, 我就开始期待
着下一个,
JOANA: On the weekends, 到了周末,
JOANA: Paulo and I never used to be home. 我和保罗根本就不惯于待在家里.

着迷英语900 句
MICHAEL: Paulo? I don’t believe it. 保罗? 真难以置信,
MICHAEL: I thought he worked all the time--like my brother. 我还以为他只懂得工作, 就像我哥
哥一样.
JOANA: Your brother? I didn’t know you had a brother. 你哥哥? 我还不知道你有一个哥哥.
MICHAEL: It’s a long story. 一言难尽.
JOANA: We have time. 我们有的是时间.
MICHAEL: OK. How about a cup of coffee? Then I’ll tell you about myself. 好, 要不要喝杯咖啡?
然后我告诉你一些关于我自己的事.
JOANA: Let me help.我来帮忙.
MICHAEL: No. That’s OK. This kitchen is too small for two. Look around. Make yourself at home.
不, 我来就可以了. 这个厨房太小, 不能容纳两个人. 到处随便看看, 不要拘束.
PAULO: Do you remember my idea for an art competition at the Fair? 记不记得我在万博会举行艺
术比赛的构想?
JOANA: Yes. How did they like it? 记得, 他们的反应如何?
PAULO: Very much. In fact, we’re starting the project immediately. And guess who’s in charge? 非
常好, 事实上我们
立刻就要展开活动. 而且, 你猜谁来负责?
JOANA: I don’t know. I give up. 我不晓得, 我不猜.
PAULO: You give up too easily. Your brother! Who else? 你太容易放弃了. 是你大哥! 还会是谁?
JOANA: Congratulations, Paulo! Now maybe you can take a few days off. 恭喜你了, 保罗! 现在,
你或许可以休息几天了.
JOANA: You work harder than anyone else in that office. 那个办公室里, 没有一个人像你这么努
力工作.
PAULO: Joana, 琼娜,
PAULO: you don’t take time off when you want a promotion. 一个人如果想进升的话, 就不能请假.
JOANA: You even eat more quickly than you used to. 你连吃饭都比以前吃得快.
PAULO: Hey, I didn’t ask for a lecture! 嘿! 我没要你来教训我.
JOANA: I’m sorry, Paulo. I think it’s wonderful. Now tell me about the competition. What are the
rules? Can Michael enter? 对不起, 保罗, 我想那是很美妙的, 告诉我一些关于这个比赛的事,
有些什么规则? 麦可可不可以参加?
PAULO: Michael Crawford? 麦可·郭佛?
JOANA: Sure. 是啊,
JOANA: He paints better than anyone I know. 他的画比我所认识的人画得都要好.
JOANA: When does the competition start? 比赛什么时候开始?
PAULO: We won’t announce the contest until Mr. Crawford finishes the brochure. 我们等郭佛先生完
成册子, 再公布比赛.
JOANA: Oh, is he doing the brochure for you? 哦, 他帮你编小册子吗?
PAULO: Yes. 是的.
JOANA: What does his office look like? 他的办公室是什么样子?
PAULO: It’s large enough, and modern and businesslike. And very formal--too formal, perhaps. Why
do you ask? 地

很大, 很摩登很有条理, 而且十分正式--太正式了. 也许你问这些干什么?

着迷英语900 句
JOANA: Just curious. I’m trying to imagine Michael in that office. 只是好奇而已, 我试着想像, 麦可
坐在那个办公室里.
PAULO: What do you mean? 我不懂.
JOANA: Michael gave himself a deadline. Either he does well this year, or he gives up art and goes
into business with his
father. 麦可为自己定下了一个期限. 他今年要是不成功的话, 就放弃艺术, 和他爸爸从事经商.
“PAULO: How well is ““well”“?” “要怎么样才算”“成功”“ 了呢?”
PAULO: How is he going to measure success? 他如何去衡量成败?
PAULO: Does he have to paint as well as the masters? 他是必需要画得和名画家一样好吗?
JOANA: I don’t really know. But he has to prove something to himself. 我并不清楚, 反正, 他要向
自己证明一件事.
PAULO: Then this competition could be his big chance. 那么这个比赛可能是他的一个大好机会.
JOANA: Yes, it could. 是的, 将会是个大好机会.
: Gary, my brother. Gary Whitney Crawford, Jr. 我哥哥瑞·小葛瑞·维特尼·郭佛,
: He looks just like me, you know, Joana. At least he used to. 你知道的, 琼娜他和我长得一模一样,
至少以前很像.
: He’s eighteen months older than I am, but as kids we used to wear the same clothes and pretend we
were twins! 他比我大十八个月, 但是我们小的时候都穿同样的衣服, 假装我们是双胞胎.
: Gary was the greatest brother in the world, and in many ways, he was may father, too. 葛瑞是个全
世界最好的哥哥,在很多方面, 他也可作我爸爸.
: Dad didn’t have time for me. 我爸爸没有时间陪我,
: He was too busy. 他太忙碌了.
: Gary and I went to the same college, but that’s when things started to change. 我和葛瑞上同一间
大学, 可是到那个时候, 情况就开始转变了,
: He studied business. 他学商了.
: Why did he study business? 他为甚么学商业?
: Because my father wanted him to. 因为我爸爸要他这样做,
: He used to study night and day. 他日以继夜的念书,
: I studied art and worked hard at it. 我学艺术, 而且很用功.
: But I had time for my friends, too. 不过, 我还有时间和朋友在一起.
: Gary and I saw each other less and less. 我和葛瑞彼此见面的机会愈来愈少.
: When Gary graduated, he went to work for my father. 葛瑞毕业以后就到我爸爸的公司去作事.
: He stayed at the office until late at night. 他很晚才离开办公室,
: He kept to himself a lot. 不常和别人交谈.
: Like my father, Gary was always busy. 葛瑞像我爸爸一样, 一天到晚忙着.
: Then one night, Gary and my father had a terrible fight. 后来有一天晚上, 葛瑞和爸爸吵架, 吵得
惊天动地.
: The next morning Gary moved out. 第二天早上葛瑞就搬走了,
: We never saw him agai
n. 我们以后再也没有看到他.
: About a year ago, a college friend of mine saw Gary in London. 大概一年以前,我大学时代的一个同
学在伦敦看到葛瑞。
: He was with a woman and a baby. 他和一个女的还有一个小孩在一起.

着迷英语900 句
: My friend was sure it was Gary. 我那个同学确定那是葛瑞,
: He never forgets a face. 他永远不会忘记那张脸.
: I would like to write about two people, a man and a woman. 我要写的是关于两个人, 一个男人和
一个女人的故事.
: They live quiet lives. 他们过着很平静的生活,
: When they go out into the street, no one asks for their autographs, but everyone in their profession
knows and respects
them.当他们出门在街上走的时候, 没有人要求他们的亲笔签名, 但是他们的同行都知道他们,
也都尊敬他们,
: They work as a team. 他们一起工作如同一个小组.
: The woman is a journalist. 女的是位新闻记者,
: The man is a photographer. 男的是位摄影师.
: They met on their first job. 他们是在担任第一份工作的时候认识的,
: They both worked for a famous picture magazine. 两个人同在一个有名的书刊杂志社作事.
: She wrote the articles, and he took the photographs. 她负责写文章, 而他负责照相片.
: The magazine sent them all over the world to cover important events. 杂志社派他们到世界各地去
采访重要的新闻,
: They won many awards and medals. 他们赢得了很多奖赏和徽章.
: One day the magazine went bankrupt. 有一天杂志社破产了,
: Many other magazines and newspapers offered them positions, 很多其他杂志社和报社都提供他
们工作的职位,
: but at this point the man and the woman decided to work independently. 但在这个时候, 他们决定
从事独立作业方式.
: She decided she wanted to write a book about her experiences at the magazine. 她决定写一本描述
她在书刊杂志社工作时的经过,
: He wanted to work on a photographic essay on bonsai. 他则想作一本盆栽的照片专集.
: For once, they did not worry about deadlines and editors. 他们首次可以不用为截稿日期和编辑
而烦恼.
: They enjoyed their work and grew professionally. 他们工作感到很愉快, 而逐渐崭露头角.
: Their books were successful. 他们的书都很畅销,
: When they finished their separate projects, 当完成了个别的计划之后,
: they decided to work as a team again. 他们决定再度合作.
: Now they are ready to go, day or night, on a moment’s notice. 现在他们随时准备出动,
: When there are earthquakes in Honduras, they are there. 当宏都拉斯发生大地震时, 他们在那里
采访;
: When there are battles in the Middle East, they are there. 当中东有战役时, 他们在那里访问;
: When there are local tragedies, they are there, too. 当地方发生悲惨事件时, 他们也在那儿采访.
: My parents
are a great team. 我的父母就是这个伟大小组的成员.
: James Yamamoto 山本杰美斯
: Look at all those people. 看看那许多人,
: They all have good jobs and houses in the country. 他们都有很好的工作, 并且在乡下都拥有房子,
: OK., maybe all of them don’t have houses in the country, but they probably have more than you. 好

着迷英语900 句
吧! 他们不一定每一个人都在乡下有房子, 但是或许他们拥有的比你还多.
: Laura, stop it.得了, 罗拉,
: Don’t feel so sorry for yourself. 不要为自己感到难过,
: Nobody likes to get out and look for a job. 没有一个人喜欢出来找工作,
: I’m getting depressed again. 我又情绪低落了,
: It’s time for a change. 该是换换环境了,
: Maybe I’ll meet someone in an elevator, and he’ll offer me a wonderful job. 也许我会在电梯里认
识一个人, 然后他将提供给我一份理想的工作,
: My worries will be over. 我就没有烦恼,
: Stop it, Laura. Be realistic. 得了, 罗拉, 现实点.
: Yes, it’s time for a change. 对, 我应该换一个环境了,
: I hate offices. 我讨厌办公室,
: I don’t hate work -that’s why I got the job with Crawford -but I don’t like offices. 我不厌恶工作-
所以才到郭佛那里去作事──但是我不喜欢办公室,
: I don’t feel human in an office. 我觉得在公司里不像个人.
: I’d rather work with people than with files and typewriters. 我喜欢和别人接触, 不喜欢和档案、
打字机作伴.
: But how? 要怎么样才可以呢?
: I could be a real estate agent, a travel agent, 我可以当房地产经纪人、旅行经纪人、
: a... anything, as long as it isn’t boring. 或什么都行, 只要不令人无聊就可以.
: Claire’s going to law school. 克蕾尔正读法律学校.
: Crawford’s son, what’s his name? ...Michael, Yes. 郭佛的儿子, 他叫什么名字? ... 麦可. 对了,
: He wants to be an artist. 他想作艺术家.
: Henry Leeds likes his job. 亨利·里德斯喜欢他的工作,
: He doesn’t want to do anything else. 他不想再做其他事情,
: It is possible to be happy at your job. 一个人能从自己的工作得到快乐, 到底不是不可能的.
: I could teach Spanish. 我可以教西班牙文,
: No, I don’t have the patience. 不, 我没有这份耐心.
: I think I’d to be my own boss. 我想我会喜欢自己当老板.
: I like to sew. 我喜欢做针? .
: Maybe I could open a small dress shop. 也许我可以开一家小服装店.
: I wonder how much you need to start a shop. 不知道开一个店需要多少钱.
: My head is spinning. 我头昏脑胀,
: I must be getting hungry. 大概是饿了吧,
: I’m tired, too. 而且也疲倦.
: Maybe I’m getting a cold. 也许我感冒了,
: No. You’re not getting a cold. 不,你并不是感冒,
: You’re just depressed. And scared. 你只是沮丧和害怕.
: A dress shop. I’ll have t
o think about that. 开一家服装店, 这个应该多研究研究.
: Would you like to order now? 小姐想吃什么?
TO: Excuse me, sir. 先生请问您,

着迷英语900 句
TO: Can you tell me where the Japanese Garden is?能不能告诉我, 日本花园在那里?
BILL: It’s quite a long walk from here. Why don’t you take the Fair bus? It stops right over there, in
the Plaza of Nations.
Between the statue and the fountain. 从这里走到那边相当远, 您不妨搭乘博览会公车, 它就停在
那边, 在广场里的雕像和喷水池之间.
TO: The statue? Excuse me, I don’t see as well as I used to. 雕像啊? 对不起, 我不像
以前看得那么清楚.
ALI: Hi, Mr. O’Neill. 嗨, 欧尼尔先生.
BILL: Oh, hi, Ali. 哦, 阿里你好,
BILL: Would you do me a favor? 你愿不愿意帮我一个忙?
ALI: Sure. 好.
BILL: Would you take this gentleman to the bus stop over there? 请你带这位先生到那边巴士站,
好不好?
ALI: Sure. Hi. Where do you want to go? 好, 嗨, 你要去那里?
BILL: The gentleman wants to go to the bus stop, Ali. 这位先生要到巴士站, 阿里.
ALI: But where are you going after that? 然后你要去那里呢?
BILL: He asks a lot of questions. 他问了许多问题.
ALI: My father says I shouldn’t ask so many questions. 我爸爸说我不该问这么多问题,
ALI: He says it’s not polite. So I’m sorry. But I still want to know. 他说这样不礼貌. 所以我道歉,
但是我还是想知道.
BILL: Ali, the next bus will be here any minute. 阿里, 下一班车随时会来.
TO: I’m going to the Japanese Garden. 我要到日本花园去.
ALI: Are you Japanese? I’m from Iran. 你是不是日本人? 我是伊朗人.
TO: I was born in Japan. 我在日本出生.
ALI: I went to the Japanese Garden last week. 我上个礼拜到日本花园去过.
TO: Did you? 噢, 你去过啦?
ALI: Yes, it’s very pretty. My mother liked it very much. I think it’s too quiet there, 是的, 非常漂
亮, 我妈妈很喜欢. 我觉得那边太安静了,
ALI: but I’ll go with you if you want. 不过, 如果你要去的话, 我就陪你去.
TO: Thank you. But if you come with me, your parents won’t know where you are.
谢谢. 不过, 你如果陪我去, 你父母就会不知道你到那里去了.
ALI: If you wait, I’ll tell my parents where I’m going. 你若能等我一下, 我就告诉我爸爸妈妈我
要去那里.
TO: You are a good boy. 你真乖.
TO: Maybe some other time. 或许, 改天吧.
ALI: Do you come here a lot? I’m here every afternoon. My father works in that bank. That’s my
friend, Mr. O’Neill, the ice cream man. 你常常来这里吗? 我每天下午都在这里. 我爸爸就在那
个银行里上班, 那位是我的朋友, 欧尼尔先生, 冰淇淋摊贩.
TO: Here’s the bus. Good-bye, Ali. And thank you. 巴士来了, 再见, 阿里,
谢谢你!
MIGUEL: Marta, how did you meet Michael Crawford? 玛它, 你是怎样认识麦可·郭佛的?
MARTA: It’s a funny story. One day while I was coming down 88th Street, 说起来真好笑, 有一天
我顺着八十八街走的时候,

着迷英语900 句
MARTA: I tripped and fell. 失足跌倒了,
MARTA: My packages spilled all over the sidewalk. ? 带的东西都散落了整个人行道.
MARTA: I twisted my ankle, and I couldn’t stand up. 我的脚踝扭伤, 简直无法站起来.
MIGUEL: Didn’t anyone help you? 没有人帮你吗?
MARTA: A couple was passing by and helped me pick up my groceries. They even carried them
home for me. The guy was Michael. 刚好有一对男女走过, 他们帮助我把东西拣起来, 还替我拿
回家去, 那个男的就是麦可.
MIGUEL: How long ago was that? 多久以前的事?
MARTA: Oh, about a year ago, I guess. Then, as we were walking home, he mentioned he lived in
the neighborhood. So
I made a friend. 噢, 大概一年以前。我想然后在回家的途中, 他说他就住在附近, 于是我们交了
朋友,
MARTA: He gives me English lessons, too. 他还替我补习英文.
MIGUEL: But he’s a painter, isn’t he? 咦? 他不是一个画家吗?
MARTA: Yes, I think so. Why? 嗯, 好像是, 你为什么问这个?
MIGUEL: I’m just putting two and two together. 举一反叁嘛!
MARTA: What do you mean? 什么意思?
MIGUEL: I saw a picture of Michael on Pedro’s desk. 我在佩德罗的书桌上看到麦可的照片.
MARTA: Michael and Pedro! 麦可和佩德罗!
MARTA: I didn’t know they knew each other. 他们彼此认识, 我倒还不知道.
MIGUEL: Neither did I. But apparently, they used to be best friends. 我也不知道. 不过, 很显然的,
他们一度是最好的朋友.
MARTA: Really? 真的?
MARTA: They don’t seem to have much in common. 他们好像并没有什么共同点,
MARTA: What happened? 是怎么回事?
MIGUEL: To make a long story short, Michael’s old girlfriend fell in love with Pedro. 长话短说,
麦可以前的女朋友与佩德罗相爱了.
MARTA: Oh. 噢,
MARTA: That sounds like Pedro. 听起来就像是佩德罗干的.
MIGUEL: No, it wasn’t exactly Pedro’s fault, but Michael wouldn’t speak to him after that. 不, 这
不完全是佩德罗的过失,但是从那个时候起, 麦可就不愿意和他说话了.
MARTA: That’s understandable. 那是可以瞭解的.
MIGUEL: Maybe. But it’s a shame. 也许. 不过, 我总觉得那是很丢人的.
MARTA: Well, Michael is sensitive. That’s why he’s so charming. 嗯, 麦可就是敏感一点, 所以
才那么令人着迷.
MIGUEL: Yes, but now that Michael is seeing Joana, I hope he’ll forgive Pedro.不错, 但是麦可既
然和琼娜在谈恋爱, 我希望他会原谅佩德罗.
MARTA: You don’t have to worry about Pedro. 你用不着替佩德罗担忧.
MIGUEL: I know, but I think a good friendship deserves a second chance. 我知道, 但是我认
为深
厚的友情应该有言归于好的机会.
MARTA: So do I, but... 我也这样觉得, 不过...
MIGUEL: And Pedro needs his old friend. He’s very lonely. 尔且佩德罗需要他的老朋友, 他非常

着迷英语900 句
孤单.
MARTA: Lonely? Every time I see him he’s with a different woman. 孤单? 每次我看到他都和不
同的女孩子在一起.
: Captain, would you tell me who is responsible for catching the thieves? I’d like to
thank him personally.
警长, 您可不可以告诉我, 逮捕那些贼的人是谁? 我想亲自向他道谢.
N: You know him. 你认识他的.
: I do? 真的?
N: But I must ask you not to tell anyone who he is. 不过, 我必须请你不要告诉任
何人他是谁,
N: He’s one of our undercover men. 他是我们的一个便衣警员.
: Certainly. 那当然!
N: Sergeant O’Neill. Would you step into my office? 欧尼尔警官, 请到我的办公
室来一下.
BILL: Captain? 什么事, 警长?
: Mr. O’Neill. The ice cream vendor! I don’t believe it. Ali was right. 欧尼尔先生, 那
个冰淇淋贩! 我真想不到!原来阿里是对的!
N: Who was right? 谁对了?
: My son, Ali. 我的儿子阿里.
: He never stops talking about Mr. O’Neill. 他一天到晚都在讲欧尼尔先生.
“: He always says, ““Mr. O’Neill is a secret agent.”““ 他总是说: 「欧尼尔先生是个
密探.」
N: Sergeant, you didn’t say anything to the boy, did you? 警官, 你该没有对那个小
孩说什么吧?
: Captain, I’m sure he didn’t have to. Ali is very... what is the word in English...
imaginative. 警长, 我相
信他用不着说. 阿里这孩子非常... 英文怎么讲... 想像力很丰富.
: He enjoys pretending to be you, Sergeant. You are his hero. 警官, 你是他心目中的
英雄, 他崇拜你, 很喜欢学你.
BILL: He’s a fine boy. 他是个好孩子.
: And he loves talking to you about baseball. 他也很喜欢和你谈棒球.
: He keeps trying to learn, 他一直试着学,
: but I don’t know how to play, so I can’t teach him. 可是我不会玩, 所以就没办法教他.
: But tell me Sergeant, how did you know those three were thieves? 那么, 警官请你
告诉我, 你怎么知道那叁个人是强盗?
BILL: I suspected something right away. 我一开始就起疑心.
BILL: They kept walking back and forth in front of the bank. 他们在银行的门口一直走来走去,
BILL: After watching them for three days, I knew something was going to happen soon. 在注意他们
叁天以后, 我就知道不久即会有事情发生了.
: Why did you wait three days before acting? 你为什么要等叁天才采取行动呢?
BILL: We needed more proof, 因为我们需要更多的证据,
BILL: so I started noting their movements
carefully. I sold ice cream right under their noses. 所以我

着迷英语900 句
开始细心地观察他们的行踪. 我就在他们的跟前卖冰淇淋.
: I am impressed, Sergeant, impressed and grateful. But what a shame. Ali can never
know he was right.我真钦佩你, 警官, 钦佩又感激. 但是, 真可惜, 阿里永远不会知道他是对的.
HUSSEIN: Ali! Did you hear? There was a robbery at Dad’s bank! 阿里! 你知不知道? 爸爸的银
行被人抢劫!
ALI: Wow! Did they take a lot of money? 哇! 他们抢了很多钱吗?
HUSSEIN: No. Some undercover policemen at the Fair caught the thieves. 没有, 万博会有便衣警
察把强盗抓到了.
ALI: I bet Mr. O’Neill did it! 我想一定是欧尼尔先生抓的,
ALI: When I grow up, I want to be a secret agent like Mr. O’Neill. 我长大了以后, 我要当密探, 就
像欧尼尔先生一样.
HUSSEIN: Ali, Mr. O’Neill is an ice cream vendor! 阿里, 欧尼尔先生是冰淇淋摊贩!
PEDRO: It’s been a long time. 好久不见了.
MICHAEL: Yes, it has. 是的, 很久不见了.
PEDRO: How have you been? 你好吗?
MICHAEL: Much better since I spoke to you last. 比上次和你讲话时好多了.
PEDRO: You know, Michael, I’m sorry about... 我要告诉你, 麦可, 我很抱歉关于...
MICHAEL: You don’t have to be. 不用道歉.
PEDRO: Then why are you still angry? Anyway, I am sorry. 那么你为什么还生气? 不管怎么样,
我是很遗憾.
MICHAEL: I am, too. I thought we were friends. 我也是, 我想我们是好朋友.
PEDRO: We were. 是的, 我们是好朋友.
MICHAEL: How’s Marian? 玛丽安她好吗?
PEDRO: I don’t know. 我不知道.
PEDRO: I haven’t seen her for almost three years. 我已经快叁年没有看到她了.
MICHAEL: Didn’t she stay with you? 她没有跟你在一起吗?
PEDRO: No. I saw her for a few weeks, and then she left. she went to Florida. 没有, 我们交往了几
个星期, 她就离开了. 她到佛罗里达州去了.
MICHAEL: Haven’t you kept in touch? 你们没有保持联络吗?
PEDRO: No. There was no reason to. 没有, 没有这个必要,
PEDRO: I was happy to see her go. 我很高兴她走了.
MICHAEL: Then why did you... 那么你为什么要...
PEDRO: Now wait a minute, Michael. 慢着, 麦可.
PEDRO: I didn’t go looking for her. 我不会去找她的,
PEDRO: She came to me. 过去是她找上门来的.
PEDRO: Michael. It’s over. I’m sorry. What more can I say? Let’s have a beer and forget the whole
thing. 麦可, 事情已经结束了, 我很抱歉, 我还能说什么? 让我们喝杯啤酒去. 将这所有事情都
忘掉吧!
MICHAEL: Hello, Pedro. How have you been? 佩德罗你好, 最近怎么样?
PEDRO: Okay, Michael. It’s been a long time. 还不错, 麦可, 好久不见.
MICHAEL: Are you still interested in photography? 你仍然对摄影有兴趣吗?
PEDRO: Yes, and I’ve done a lot of new things. Come on, I’ll tell you about them.
是的, 而且我还

着迷英语900 句
作了很多新的尝试. 来,让我来告诉你.
MICHAEL: How’s your mother? I’ve missed her. 你妈妈好吗? 我真想念她.
MICHAEL: She’s fine. 她很好,
MICHAEL: She’ll be glad to see you again. 她会很高兴再看到你.
PEDRO: She’s missed you, too.她也想念你,
PEDRO: So has the rest of my family. 我们一家人都想念你.
: Eighty -eighth Street is usually a busy street, especially during the summer. But sometimes, early in
the morning and in the heat of the afternoon, it is quiet. 八十八街通常是很热闹的, 尤其是在夏天
的时候. 不过, 有时候在一大清早和炎热午后里,八十八街却很安静.
“: No, not ““quiet”“, quieter.” 不, 不应该说很安静, 应该说比较安静一点才对,
: There are always kids playing ball. 随时都有小孩子在那里打球.
: They don’t seem to notice the heat, the darkness, or the passing cars. 闷热的天气、黑暗的夜晚以
及往来的车辆, 他们似乎并不在意.
: It’s a street like many others. 这条街和其他许多街道一样,
: Children run, and jump, and fall. 街上的小孩, 跑的跑, 跳的跳, 摔倒的摔倒.
: Parents push baby carriages. Young men and women walk slowly, arm in arm, or hand in hand. 爸
爸妈妈们推着婴儿车走, 青年男女臂挽着臂或手牵着手慢慢地走着,
: The people of the neighborhood know each other. 左右邻居彼此都认识.
: When friends meet, they stop and say a word or two. 当朋友相遇的时候, 他们总会停下来寒喧
一下.
: Two women, both lost in thought, walk toward each other. 两个沉思的妇女彼此迎面走近,
: As they pass, they look up. 她们走过彼此身边的时候, 都抬起头来看.
: They stop. They smile. 她们止步, 她们微笑.
: They start to speak at the same time. 然后同时开始讲话.
: They laugh, happy to see each other. 她们都很高兴彼此碰面.
: After a minute or two, one turns around and walks the other to her door. 过一两分钟, 其中的一个
妇女转身送另外一个妇女到她家门口.
: They stand and talk a few minutes more. 她们站在那里继续谈上几分钟,
: Then each one takes a few steps, turns, and waves good-bye. 然后一个走上几层台阶, 转身挥别.
: At noon on June 3, three men bought sandwiches and ice cream and sat on one of the benches in
front of the
International Bank. 在六月叁日中午, 有叁名男子买了叁明治和冰淇淋后在国家银行前的橙子
上坐下.
: This behavior continued on June 4 and 5. 他们在六月四、五号这两天继续这样做.
: They were trying to look and act like tourists, but they obviously were not. 他们尽力装出观光客
的模样和作风, 但是很显然的, 他们并不是.
: They never smiled. 他们始终没有露出笑容,
: They were not enjoying themselves. 心情也并不愉快.
: The suspects carefully noted the mov
ements of each of the bank’s employees. 叁名嫌疑犯密切注
意银行每一个职员往来的情形.
: They even noted when and where I moved my ice cream cart. 他们甚至注意我推冰淇淋车的时间
和地点.

着迷英语900 句
: On June 5, at exactly 2:20, when two of the four guards were out to lunch, the three suspects moved
toward the
entrance of the bank.在六月五日下午两点二十分整, 当银行四个警卫中的两个人外出午餐的时
候, 这叁名嫌疑犯走向银行的入口.
: I immediately called for help. Then I moved the ice cream cart closer to the entrance of the bank. 我
立刻通知同仁协助, 然后把冰淇淋车移近银行的入口,
: I wanted to be able to stop them from leaving the area. 希望能够阻止他们离开那个区域.
: One of the suspects stood at the door of the bank. 其中的一名嫌疑犯站在银行的门口,
: The other two entered the bank and stood in line. 另外两名则进去银行排队.
: When they got up to the tellers, they took guns out of paper bags. 当他们走到出纳员面前时, 就
从牛皮纸袋取出枪.
: Most of the people in the bank didn’t know what was happening. 银行里的人大多不知道有事情
发生.
: I could see this through the windows of the bank. 这件事情经过, 我从银行的窗外可以看到.
: Meanwhile, the other non-uniformed policemen arrived. 在此同时, 其余的便衣警员也到达了现场.
: We spread out. 我们分布各处.
: Some went into the bank and some stood near the front. 有的到银行里面去, 有的站到门口近处.
: We wanted to wait until they had the money in their hands. 我们等待直到他们拿到了钱,
: Then we got them. 然后把他们逮捕,
: It was all over in twenty seconds. 这件事情只花二十秒钟的时间就结束了.
: I never stopped selling ice cream, although I gave one man too much change. 我始终一直地继续
卖冰淇淋, 虽然我多找给一位男士太多的零钱.
“: ““I like this old bar.” 我很喜欢这家老酒馆,
: I know it’s old-fashioned, but that’s what I like about it. 我明知它有点老式, 不过就因为这样我
才喜欢它.
: Sure, it’s dark. 当然啦, 里面固然很黑,
: Most bars are. 但是大多数的酒馆都是这样子.
: But that’s all right, some things look better in the dark. 那没关系, 有些东西要在黑暗里才好看.
: Besides, you don’t go to a bar to read, do you? 尔且, 人上酒馆不是为了看书, 对不对?
: This is a friendly place. 这是一个亲切的地方.
: You can get a beer on your way home from work, 你可以在下班后喝杯啤酒再回家,
: find some friends, relax,找几个朋友把身心放轻鬆,
: and forget about your kids, your job, and your mother-in-law. 把孩子、工作和丈母娘都忘掉.
“: Times are changing, but ““Joe’s”“ stays the same.” 时代在改变, 但是「乔之酒吧」没有变.
: Oh,
there’s a difference. 哦, 对了, 有一点不同.
“: This kind of place used to be ““for men only.”““ 这个地方过去是「女宾止步」,
: Now, everybody’s welcome. 尔现在却是来者不拒.
: If your money’s good, we’re glad to have you. 只要你喝完付帐, 我们就欢迎你来.
: I’ve been a bartender here for thirty years, and I’m still happy to come to work and see the old
mahogany bar. 我在这里当酒保已经叁十年, 每天上班, 看到这个老桃木盖成的酒吧, 仍然感到
开心.
: It still makes me happy to see the liquor bottles beside the old French mirror. 看到这个老式法国镜

着迷英语900 句
子旁边的酒瓶, 也仍然感到开心.
: It’s not a bad life. 这个日子过得还不坏.
: And, you know, it’s funny. 还有我告诉你一件很滑稽的事情,
“: I don’t drink.”““ 我从来不喝酒.
第五集
ALI: Hello, Mr. Vegetable Man. Do you remember me? My name is Ali. 卖菜先生你好. 你还记不
记得我? 我叫阿里.
TO: Yes, Ali. I remember you. 嗯, 阿里, 我记得你.
ALI: I met you when you were going to the Japanese Garden. 当我遇到你的时候你正要到日本花
园去,
ALI: Did you have a good time? 你玩得开不开心?
TO: Yes, thank you, Ali. Is this your mother, Ali? 很开心, 谢谢你, 阿里. 这位是
不是你母亲?
ALI: Yes, it is. Mommy, I told you about this man... 是的. 妈, 我跟你讲过这个人...
: His name is Mr. Yamamoto, Ali. Be polite. 阿里, 他叫山本先生. 礼貌一点.
ALI: How do you know his name, Mommy? 妈, 你怎么知道他的名字?
: Because many of my friends have told me about him and his excellent shop. It’s nice
to meet you, Mr.
Yamamoto. Our name is Nikzad. 因为我有很多朋友曾经跟我谈过他以及他经营得很不错的商店.
很高兴认识你, 山本先生, 敝姓尼克萨德.
TO: How do you do, Mrs. Nikzad? 尼克萨德太太你好.
TO: Your son helped me find my way around the Fair.令郎帮我在万博会附近找到路.
ALI: Are you famous, Mr. Yamamoto? How come? 山本先生, 你是不是很出名? 为什么你会出
名呢?
TO: Because I have lived in this neighborhood a long time.因为我住在这附近很久了.
ALI: But that isn’t enough, is it? 但是这还是不够, 对不对?
TO: You have to answer that question for yourself. 这个问题你得要自己答覆.
ALI: No. 不,
ALI: You have to do something special to be famous. 一个人必须作某种很特殊的事情才会出名,
ALI: You have to kill a dragon. 他必须杀死一条龙.
TO: I’ve never done that. I have seen many and fought with a few. But to my
knowledge I haven’t killed any yet. 我倒没有杀过龙. 我看过不少龙, 还有几次和龙打斗, 不过
据我所知, 我还没杀死过龙.
CUSTOMER: Excuse me, do you have any lettuce? 老板, 对不起,
有没有萵苣?
ALI: Wow, have you ever...? 哇! 你曾经...
: Mr. Yamamoto is a busy man. Perhaps, Ali, 山本先生很忙, 说不定阿里,
: we have already taken too much of his time. 我们已经打扰他太久了.
TO: I’ll be with you in a moment. 我马上来.
TO: Not at all, Mrs. Nikzad. If I don’t have enough time, it is because I am old, not
because I am busy.一点也不, 尼克萨德太太. 就算我时间不够, 那是由于我老了, 并不是因为我

着迷英语900 句
事情忙.
ALI: I don’t understand. 我不懂.
: Mr. Yamamoto is very wise. When you have lived a little longer, you will
understand. 山本先生是个很聪明的人. 当你长大一点以后, 你就会懂得了.
ALI: I want to understand now. 我现在就要懂.
TO: Then you must visit me again. 那么你必须再来看我.
ALI: Can I? I mean, may I? 我能吗? 我是说, 我可以再来拜访你吗?
: When is Michael coming to pick you up? 麦可几点钟来接你?
JOANA: He said seven. Would you get the door please, Mama? 他说七点. 妈, 请您开门好吗?
: Hello, Michael. How are you? 麦可, 你好吗?
MICHAEL: Fine, thank you, Mrs. Farias. And you? 很好, 谢谢法瑞斯太太, 您呢?
: Well, as a matter of fact, 哦, 事实上,
: I’m not feeling very well today. 我今天有一点不舒服.
MICHAEL: What’s the matter? 怎么了?
: Oh, I’m sure that it’s nothing serious. Joana, Michael’s here! 噢, 我相信并不严重.
琼娜, 麦可来了.
JOANA: Hi, Michael. 嗨, 麦可.
MICHAEL: Hi, you look great! 嗨, 你今天可真漂亮!
JOANA: Thank you. 谢谢.
: Will you two please excuse me? I have some things to do in the kitchen. 二位失陪了,
我厨房里还有一点事.
MICHAEL: Certainly. What’s up? 不要客气. 什么事情?
JOANA: I have some exciting news. 我有一个令人兴奋的消息.
MICHAEL: What is it? 什么消息?
MICHAEL: I hope you aren’t going back home. 你不会是就要回国了吧?
JOANA: No. Right now I can’t think of any place I’d rather be than here. But... 没有, 我现在除了
这里以外, 想不出任何更喜欢的地方. 但是...
MICHAEL: What is it, then? 到底什么事情嘛?
JOANA: How would you like to go to Brazil for two years?你有没有兴趣到巴西去住两年?
MICHAEL: What? How? With whom? 什么? 怎么去? 和谁去?
JOANA: The Brazilian Pavilion is holding an art competition. 巴西馆要举办艺术比赛.
JOANA: The person who wins gets a grant to study and paint anywhere in Brazil. 赢的人获得奖学
金, 可以到巴西任何一个地方读书或画画.
MICHAEL: Really? How do you apply? 真的!? 怎么申请?
JOANA: All you have to do is submit a painting to the Brazilian Pavilion by December 1. You’ll love
Brazil. I’ll show you all the sights. We’ll have a wonderful time. 只要在十二月一
号之前把一幅画送
到巴西馆就可以. 你一定会非常喜欢巴西的, 我会带你去看所有的名胜, 我们会玩得非常愉快.
MICHAEL: Hold on. I can enter. That doesn’t mean I’ll win.慢一点. 我可以参加, 但是不一定会赢.
JOANA: Michael, no one else has a chance! 麦可, 别人都不可能得胜.
MICHAEL: Oh, come on. 噢, 算了!
JOANA: No, really. 不, 我是说真的.
JOANA: Name one modern artist whose paintings are better than yours. 你说, 哪一个现代艺术家

着迷英语900 句
的画比你的画好?
JOANA: Name one artist whose paintings the judges could possibly like more than yours. 除了你的
画以外, 评判还会更喜欢谁的画? 你说.
MICHAEL: It’s nice to have someone who believes in you. 有一个人对我有信心, 我感到很欣慰.
MICHAEL: Too bad you’re not one of the judges. 可惜你不是评审之一.
JOANA: Which picture are you going to send in? 你要送哪一幅画去?
MICHAEL: I don’t know. I’ll have to do something new--something totally new--something
spectacular. 我不知道。我必须要有新的创作──一些全新的作品,──一些惊人的作品.
MICHAEL: Dear Mama, 亲爱的妈妈:
MICHAEL: I can’t believe it! 真难以置信!
MICHAEL: I’ll be home in a couple of weeks. 再两个星期我就要回家了,
MICHAEL: This has been the greatest vacation I’ve ever had. 这是我有生以来最愉快的假期.
MICHAEL: My English is pretty good now. I can understand almost everything --except on the
phone. 我的英文现在很
不错, 除了在电话中, 我几乎什么都可以听得懂.
MICHAEL: I’ve made many new friends and learned lots of new things. 我认识了很多新朋友, 也
学到了很多新的知识,
MICHAEL: For example, Mama, believe it or not, some Americans spend more hours watching TV.
than working at their
jobs. 譬如, 妈, 相信不? 有些美国人看电视的时间比上班工作的时间还要多.
MICHAEL: It’s true! 是真的!
MICHAEL: I read it in an American paper. 我是从报纸上看到的.
MICHAEL: I called the Monteros last week. 我上个星期拜访了蒙特若家,
MICHAEL: They were very happy to see me. 他们看到我很高兴.
MICHAEL: You’re right. They have a daughter my age. 您说得对, 他们有一个女儿和我一样年纪,
MICHAEL: She is happily married, has two children, and sends her regards. 她已婚, 有两个孩子,
生活很美满. 她向您问好,
MICHAEL: They all send their regards. 他们都向您问好.
MICHAEL: Mrs. Montero cried when we talked about the people she hasn’t seen in years. 我们谈到
蒙特若太太多年没见面的那些人的时候, 她流? 了,
MICHAEL: I felt a little sorry for her. 我有一点替她难过.
MICHAEL: She wants to go back to Colombia for a visit, but I don’t think they have the money. 她
想回到哥伦比亚去看看这些人, 但是我不认为他们会有钱去.
MICHAEL: On the brighter
side, I’m sending you another photograph of Marta. 说一点开心事, 我又
附了一张玛它的照片.
“MICHAEL: Don’t worry. I’m not going to do anything ““foolish,”“ but I want you to be able to
recognize her.” “ 您放心好了, 我不会做出任何”“傻事”“; 我只是希望您能够认识她.”
MICHAEL: Love, Miguel 米盖尔敬上
NARA: Hi, kids. 嗨, 孩子们:
NARA: It’s Friday again, so I won’t be home from work until 9:15. 又是星期五了; 因此我要到九点
十五分才会下班回家.
NARA: Dinner is in the refrigerator. 晚餐摆在冰箱里.

着迷英语900 句
NARA: Peggy, you can heat up the stew and make the salad. 蓓姬, 你可以把燉肉热一热, 并做些
沙拉.
NARA: Suzy, you can set the table. 苏西你可摆餐具.
NARA: Billy and Jack, I want you to clear the table, wash the dishes, and put them away. 比利和杰
克: 我希望你们清理餐桌, 把盘碗洗净收起来.
NARA: And you can get started on the weekly chores. 还有每周一次的家务, 也可以着手作,
NARA: No chores, no allowance. 不作家务, 就不给你们零用钱.
NARA: Peggy, please scrub the bathroom. It’s filthy. 蓓姬, 浴室肮脏不堪, 麻烦你洗刷干净.
NARA: Jack, you know how to use the vacuum cleaner. 杰克, 你知道吸尘器怎么用,
NARA: Would you please do the rugs and the floors? 请你清理地毯和地板, 好不好?
NARA: And you, Billy, please clean up the mess in the basement. 还有你比利, 地下室又脏又乱,
请你清理干净.
NARA: I don’t know what you were doing down there, but you left tools all over the place. 我不知
道你在那里干什么的, 工具散乱得到处都是.
NARA: And Suzy, you can help Billy sweep up. 苏西, 你要帮助比利打扫.
NARA: Dad will be home around 6:30. 爸爸大概六点半回来.
NARA: Why don’t you have dinner ready by then? OK. kids? Enjoy your dinner. 你们不妨将晚餐
准备好, 可以吗? 孩子们,希望你们吃得愉快.
NARA: Oh yes, for dessert, you can have the chocolate cake. 哦, 对了, 餐后甜点, 你们可以把那个
巧克力蛋糕拿出来吃.
NARA: But please leave a little piece for your hard-working mother 不过, 拜托留下一小块给你们
工作辛苦的妈妈.
NARA: Love, Mom 妈妈留
: THE WORLD’S FAIR NEWSLETTER 万国博览会通讯报
: Volume 1 No. 5 一卷五期
: Published by THE WORLD’S FAIR CORPORATION 发行人: 万国博览会股份有限公司
: and THE GW CRAWFORD AGENCY, INC. 及郭氏广告股份有限公司
: THE SPACE BUILDING OPENS by Henry Leeds 太空大厦开幕亨利·里斯着
HENRT LEEDS: Yesterday was the opening of the Space Building here at the World’s Fair. 昨天是
万国博览会这里太空大楼的开幕典礼,
HENRT LEEDS: Many famous scientists, architects, and diplomats were present. 有许多着名的科
学家、建筑师和外交官参加.
HENRT LEEDS: There was something for everybo
dy.对每一个人而言, 那边确实有看头.
HENRT LEEDS: Messrs. Wood, Glass, and Stone, who are the architects of the building, attended
the ceremonies. 设计该大厦的建筑师乌德、葛拉斯和斯敦叁位先生均参加典礼.
HENRT LEEDS: The building, which looks like a big glass cube, is as modern as its exhibitions. 这
座建筑物看起来像巨大的玻璃立方体, 与所展示的陈列品一样现代化.
HENRT LEEDS: A large crowd listened to the many speeches of the diplomats 一大群民众听了外
交官们一个接一个的演说.
HENRT LEEDS: Among the listeners was a little boy. He was about seven years old, had curly black
hair and big brown eyes, and was eating an ice cream sandwich. 其中有一位小男孩, 他大约七岁
左右, 有一头黑色的捲发和一双咖啡色大眼睛, 他正吃着一个冰淇淋叁明治.

着迷英语900 句
“HENRT LEEDS: ““Are you enjoying the speeches?”“ I asked.”我问他:「这些演说, 你喜不喜欢听?」
“HENRT LEEDS: ““No,”“ he said, ““they’re boring.”““ 他回答说:「不喜欢, 都很无聊.」
“HENRT LEEDS: ““Then why are you here?”““ 「那么你为什么要来这里呢?」
“HENRT LEEDS: ““Because it’s not as boring as home.”““ 「因为这里并不像家里那么无聊.」
HENRT LEEDS: There you have it. 各位现在知道了.
HENRT LEEDS: Another day at the Fair. 这又是万博会上的一天.
ALI: Mommy. I’m going to be seven soon, right? 妈, 我快要七岁了, 对不对?
: Yes, July 17. 是啊, 就在七月十七号.
ALI: What day is that? 星期几?
: It’s a Monday. 星期一.
ALI: May I have a birthday party? 我可不可以举行生日派对?
: I’m sure you can. However, we’ll have to talk to your father. 我想你可以. 不过,
我们得和你爸爸说说.
ALI: I’ll be good. I promise. I’ll do whatever he says. 我会乖, 我发誓. 他叫我做什么我都会做,
ALI: I’ll be so good that he won’t know I’m here. 我会非常非常乖, 使他都不知道我在家.
ALI: Can we call him? 我们可以打电话给他?
: No. He’ll be home any minute, Ali. It can wait till then, I’m sure. We’ve never had a
big party in this apartment. I wonder... 不行, 他就要回来了. 阿里, 这件事可以等到他回来再说.
我想我们从来没有在这个房子里举行过大的派对, 不知道...
ALI: Oh, I don’t want the party here! 噢, 我不要在这里举行!
: No? Where do you want it?你不要啊? 你想在哪里举行?
ALI: At the Ice Cream Parlor. You know, the one that has 101 flavors. 在冰淇淋馆. 你知道吗, 那一家
有一百零一种口味.
: The Ice Cream Parlor? 冰淇淋馆?
: Do you mean the one which is near your father’s bank at the Fair? 你是说在万博会爸
爸的银行附近那一家?
ALI: Yes, that’s the one. Jimmy’s birthday pa
rty was there, 对, 就是那家. 吉米的生日派对是在那
里举行的,
ALI: and the party that he had was great. 他那次派对真棒.
: Hello, dear. How was your day? 哈罗, 亲爱的, 今天过得好不好?
: Hello, Zahra. Hi, Son. I’m in such a good mood that I feel like celebrating. 哈罗, 萨
拉, 嗨, 儿子, 我心情好得很, 真想庆祝一番.
: Let’s go out to dinner tonight. 我们今天晚上在外面吃饭吧!
ALI: Whoopee! 好棒啊!
: Ali has something to ask you. 阿里有件事情想要求你.
: What is it, Ali? 什么事, 阿里?
ALI: Father, may I please have a birthday party? 爸爸, 我可不可以开生日舞会?
: Of course, Ali. Why not? 当然可以, 阿里, 为什么不可以?
ALI: Thanks, Daddy. 谢谢爸爸.
: What kind of party do you want, Ali? 阿里, 你想要什么样的舞会呢?
ALI: An ice cream party! 一个冰淇淋舞会!

着迷英语900 句
: Is that what you want?那就是你想要的吗?
: Wouldn’t you like to go to a baseball game instead? 你不想去看棒球赛吗?
ALI: Daddy, this is much better! 爸, 这样好多了!
ALI: You eat lots and lots of ice cream. They put it in a big bowl. And then, when you’ve eaten so
much ice cream that you can’t eat any more, you eat some more anyway. 你可以吃很多很多的冰淇
淋. 他们用好大的碗盛着, 然后, 当你冰淇淋吃到不能再吃下去的时候, 你不愿一切的继续吃.
: It sounds terrible. 听起来好恐怖.
: I guess it sounds wonderful to kids. What do you think, dear? 大概对小孩子来说,
似乎蛮好的. 亲爱的, 你认为怎么样?
: Okay, Ali. It’s a deal. 好的, 阿里, 一言为定.
ALI: Oh, boy! 哇! 好棒!
: Packing is very upsetting. 收拾行李实在令人很烦,
: I wish someone would do it for me. 我希望有人能为我整理.
: In fact, I wish I were home now and the plane trip were over. 事实上, 我真希望现
在已经下了飞机回到家里,也结束了旅程.
JOANA: You don’t have to pack tonight. 你不必要今天晚上就收拾行李呀!
: I know, but I want to see how much room I have in my suitcase. Tomorrow I have to
buy presents for everyone back home.我知道, 但是我想看看箱子里能装多少东西, 明天我要去买
礼物送给家乡所有的亲友.
JOANA: Sometimes I wish I were going with you. 有时候我真希望能和你一道走.
: Sometimes I wish you were, too, dear. 我有时候也会这样想, 亲爱的.
JOANA: I know, but you mustn’t worry about me, Mama. I’ll be all right. Paulo doesn’t let me out of
his sight! 我知道, 不过, 妈, 你千万不要替我操心, 我不会有事, 保罗一天到晚监视我.
: I know you’ll be all right. 我知道你不会有事的,
: I’m worrying about myself. 我担心的
是我自己,
: The house will seem so empty without you and Paulo. And what if you decide to stay
here? 没有你和保罗在, 这房子会显得很空洞. 还有, 万一你决定在这里定居怎么办?
JOANA: Oh, Mama! 噢! 妈.
JOANA: Anyway, you were about to mention the gifts you had to buy. 不管怎么样, 你刚才提到你
要买些礼物.
: Yes. What do you think I ought to get for your father? 是啊, 你认为我该买什么给
你爸爸?
JOANA: He has just about everything, doesn’t he? 他几乎什么都有, 对不对?
: That’s the trouble. 麻烦就在这里.
PAULO: Hi, Mama. Hi, Joana. 嗨, 妈, 嗨, 琼娜.
: I’m glad you’re home early. Do you know how to fix the lock on that suitcase? It’s
stuck. 很高兴你回来得早, 那个皮箱的锁你知不知道怎么修理? 它卡住了.
PAULO: It probably needs a little oil. 大概需要上一点油.
: Paulo, I don’t know what to get for your father. Do you have any suggestions? 保罗,
我不知道应该买什么东西给你爸爸, 有没有任何建议?
PAULO: Why don’t you get him a pocket calculator? 为什么不给他买一个袖珍型计算机.
: That’s a wonderful idea! 这个主意出得很好!

着迷英语900 句
: I hope he doesn’t already have one. 但愿他还没有.
PAULO: I doubt it. There, the lock’s okay now. 我想大概没有. 好了, 锁修好了.
: Good. Thank you, dear. Where should I look for a calculator? 很好. 谢谢你, 亲爱
的. 电子计算机应该到哪里去选购?
PAULO: I know a place where I can get one on sale. I’ll pick one up for you tomorrow. 我知道有个
地方可以买到减价的。我明天帮你买一个.
: Thank you, dear. You know, when I get home, 谢谢, 亲爱的, 说真的, 回家以后,
: I’m going to wish I were back here. 我会希望我仍在这里,
: I wish there were some way for all of us to be in the same city, or at least, the same
country. 如果有个办法使我们都能住在同一个城市, 或者至少同一个国家, 那该多好.
MICHAEL: Hi, Pedro. How are you doing? 嗨, 佩德罗. 最近怎么样?
PEDRO: Fine. I just wanted to stop by and say hello. 很好, 没事... 只是想过来打个招呼.
MICHAEL: Come on in. How about some coffee? 进来. 要不要喝点咖啡?
PEDRO: Sounds good. 似乎很棒.
MICHAEL: What’s new? You look tired. 最近在作什么? 你看起来好像很疲倦的样子.
PEDRO: I’m trying to find a present for Miguel. He’s leaving at the end of next week. 我要找个礼
物送给米盖尔, 他下个周末就要走.
MICHAEL: That’s too bad. 真可惜.
PEDRO: He thinks so, too. 他也这样觉得.
MICHAEL: What about Marta? 玛它怎么样了?
PEDRO: Who knows? I don’t ask any questions. 谁知道? 我不过问任何事.
PEDRO: They act like teenagers in love. 他们像恋爱中的少年少女一样,
PED
RO: They cling to each other as if there were no tomorrow. 他们如胶似漆的像是没有明天了.
MICHAEL: You’re cynical today. 你今天有点不对劲.
PEDRO: Realistic. 说真的,
PEDRO: In a week, she won’t remember his name. 一个星期内, 她不会再记得他叫什么名字.
MICHAEL: Come on, Pedro. 佩德罗, 拜托.
PEDRO: I’ll make you a bet. How much? Five dollars? 我和你打赌. 多少? 五元?
MICHAEL: OK. A five-dollar bet. Shake. 好, 赌五块钱, 握手为定.
MICHAEL: You take your coffee black, right? 你喝纯咖啡, 对不对?
PEDRO: Right, thanks. 是的, 谢谢.
MICHAEL: I have a favor to ask. 我想请你帮我一个忙.
PEDRO: What is it? 什么忙?
MICHAEL: I’m entering an art competition, and I’d like to use your name. 我要参加一项艺术比赛,
我想用你的名字.
PEDRO: What do you mean? 我不懂你什么意思.
MICHAEL: I don’t want my father to know I’m entering the competition. 我不希望我爸爸知道我
参加比赛.
PEDRO: OK., if you want it that way. You finish the painting, and I’ll be happy to sign my name. I
love to see an artist working. 好的, 如果你想这么做, 你的画完成之后, 我将会很乐意签上我的
名字, 我最喜欢看艺术家绘画.
“MICHAEL: Here’s the brochure. They call the contest ““Young Artists’ Competition.”““ 这是简章,

着迷英语900 句
这个比赛叫做「年轻艺术家的比赛」.
PEDRO: Money, Brazil, and Joana! Did they design this contest especially for you? Good luck. Are
you submitting something new? 金钱、巴西、还有琼娜! 这个比赛是不是专为你策划的? 祝你成
功, 你是不是要用新的作品参加?
MICHAEL: Yes. 是的.
PEDRO: May I see it? 可不可以看看?
MICHAEL: There’s nothing to see. 没什么可看的,
MICHAEL: I’ve finished painting my canvas white, 我已经把画布涂上白色,
MICHAEL: and now I’m stuck. Maybe I need a break. Have you had dinner yet? 但现在不知如何
下笔了, 或许我需要休息一下, 你吃过晚餐没有?
PEDRO: NO. 没有.
MICHAEL: I haven’t, either. 我也没有,
MICHAEL: Do you want to go downtown? 要不要到闹区去?
PEDRO: I’m broke. 我没钱了.
MICHAEL: OK. I’ll call that place around the corner and have them deliver a pizza. How’s that? 好,
那我打个电话叫拐角的那家店送一个意大利馅饼来, 怎么样?
PEDRO: Fine. 很好.
JOANA: How’s the painting coming? 你的画有没有进展?
MICHAEL: I don’t know. Last night I was up till 3:30 or 4:00, and even though I’m exhausted, I
can’t sleep. I haven’t been sleeping well for a we ek. 我不晓得, 我昨天晚上叁点半或四点钟还醒
着. 我虽然已筋疲力竭, 可是仍然睡不着觉. 我已经一个星期没睡好觉了.
JOANA: That’s probably because you’re too tense. 大概是因为你太紧张.
MICHAEL: I don’t know what’s wrong. 我不知道是怎么回事.
JOANA: Gre
at paintings aren’t created overnight. Try to relax. 伟大的作品不是一夜之间所能创作出
来的, 儘量轻鬆一点.
MICHAEL: That’s easier said than done. 说的比做的容易.
JOANA: I’m sorry. 对不起.
MICHAEL: No, don’t apologize. 不, 不要道歉.
JOANA: What’s the subject of the painting? 这画的主题是什么?
MICHAEL: That’s the problem. I want to do a portrait. 问题就在这里, 我想画一幅肖像.
JOANA: Of whom? 谁的肖像.
MICHAEL: A woman. A modern woman. But that’s all I know. I’ve been drawing all week, but I
don’t like anything I’ve done. 一个女人, 一个现代女性, 但是我只知道这么一点而已. 我这个星
期一直在画图, 但是画出来的东西没有一个令我满意.
JOANA: What’s the problem? Do you know? 问题在哪里? 你知不知道?
MICHAEL: Me. I’m the problem. I think I’m going stale. I’ve been painting for ten years. 在我, 问
题就是我. 我想我要老朽了(失去了创造力). 我画画已经十年了,
MICHAEL: I should be able to do better than this. 应该有能力可以画得比这样子更好.
JOANA: I’m sure you will. Even if you spend a few sleepless nights, it’s worth it. 我敢肯定, 你会
成功的, 即使你花几个晚上不睡觉, 也是值得的.
MICHAEL: What do you think I should do? 你认为我应该怎么做?
JOANA: Take a break for a few hours. 休息几个钟头.

着迷英语900 句
MICHAEL: No. I mean, do you think I should give up and go into business with my father? 不, 我
的意思是说, 你认不认为我应该放弃画画而去跟爸爸作生意?
JOANA: What I think doesn’t matter. You’ve got to be happy with what you do. Besides, that
decision was made years ago, wasn’t it? 我怎么想都无关紧要, 你要作自己喜欢的工作, 而且, 你
好几年前就作决定了, 对不对?
MICHAEL: It was. But things change. 是的, 但是情形会改变,
MICHAEL: Which is better for us now? 现在对我们来说, 哪条路最好?
JOANA: Michael, what do you want me to say? It’s got to be your decision. 麦可, 你叫我怎么说?
这必须由你决定.
MICHAEL: I’m not asking you to decide for me. 我不是叫你替我决定,
MICHAEL: I just want to know what you think. 我只是想知道你的想法如何.
MICHAEL: You must have your likes and dislikes. 你一定有自己的喜恶.
JOANA: Maybe I don’t. Maybe I don’t know what to think. 也许我没有, 也许我不知道应该怎么
认为.
MICHAEL: I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you. 对不起, 我不是有意烦你.
JOANA: All I mean, Michael, 我的意思麦克
JOANA: is that I agree with what you’re doing. 只是说我同意你现在的作法,
JOANA: If you can be a successful artist, fine; if you can’t, go into business with your father. But at
least give yourself the chance to find out. 你如果能够成为一位成功的艺术家, 那最好; 要是你不
能的话就到你爸爸
的公司里作事, 但是最起码你要给你自己找些机会.
MICHAEL: There’s something else, of course, Joana. If I go into Dad’s business, I have to stay here.
You know that. 还有一点, 当然, 琼娜, 我如果到爸爸的公司作事的话, 就必须留在这里, 这一
点你是知道的.
HENRY LEEDS: THE WORLD’S FAIR NEWSLETTER 万国博览会通讯报
HENRY LEEDS: Volume 1 No.10 一卷十期
HENRY LEEDS: Published by THE WORLD’S FAIR CORPORATION and THE GW
CRAWFORD AGENCY 发行人: 万国博览会股份有限公司及郭氏广告公司
HENRY LEEDS: SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE by Henry Le eds 应有尽有亨利·里德斯着
HENRY LEEDS: In case you’ve never stopped in at the World’s Fair Ice Cream Parlor, 您或许从来
没有光临过万国博览会冰淇淋馆,
HENRY LEEDS: let me introduce you to it. 那么, 让我来为你介绍.
HENRY LEEDS: First, the facts: Our World’s Fair Ice Cream Parlor is one of the largest ice cream
parlors you will find anywhere in the world. 首先, 事实上您将发现: 我们万国博览会的冰淇淋馆
是全世界最大的冰淇淋馆之一.
HENRY LEEDS: It is open until midnight, seven days a week, and the staff is always ready to serve
you and your friends. 一个星期开放七天, 每天营业到午夜, 冰淇淋馆的人员随时准备为您和
您的朋友服务.
HENRY LEEDS: Our ice cream parlor hasn’t really been there for a hundred years. 我们万博会的
这家冰淇淋馆并没一百年的历史,
HENRY LEEDS: It just looks that way. 它只是看起来像罢了.
HENRY LEEDS: In fact, they have been selling ice cream for only two months now. 事实上, 他们
开幕才两个月.

着迷英语900 句
HENRY LEEDS: Inspired by a more elegant age, the careful manners and the old-fashioned
costumes of the staff were designed to make you, the customers, feel at home. 工作人员礼貌的作风
和仿古的服装及文雅的动作, 目的是让客人们有宾至如归之感.
HENRY LEEDS: Let me now tell you about the ice cream. 现在让我来谈谈他们的冰淇淋了.
HENRY LEEDS: They tell me that the recipe they use has been making ice cream lovers happy since
1865. 我听说他们用的配製法, 从一八六五年以来一直受爱吃冰淇淋的人欢迎.
HENRY LEEDS: They have flavors that you’ve never heard of. And all of them are delicious. 他们
有各种各样的味道, 有的还是一般人未曾听过的, 而都美味可口.
HENRY LEEDS: I will describe only one of their specialties. It is called the Kitchen Sink. “他们有
数种拿手甜点, 我只介绍其中的一种, 叫做”“百味盘”“,”
HENRY LEEDS: What is a Kitchen Sink? “““ 百味盘”“ 是什么?”
HENRY LEEDS: It is a huge stainless steel dish, about twelve inches wide, eighteen inches long, and
about eight inches deep, 是一个大约十二寸宽, 十八寸长, 大约八寸深的巨大不銹钢盘子,
HENRY LEEDS: which is filled with
twenty different kinds of ice cream. 装满了二十种不同的冰
淇淋.
HENRY LEEDS: On top of all this are piled whipped cream, nuts, fruit, and chocolate syrup. 上面
堆满了泡沫奶油、干果、水果和巧克力酱.
HENRY LEEDS: I warn you, this dessert is only for the strongest of stomachs. 我可要警告你, 这
种甜点只是为有钢铁胃的人而设计的.
HENRY LEEDS: Don’t worry, though. 不过, 没关系,
HENRY LEEDS: They have desserts for every taste and pocketbook. 他们有各种不同的甜点, 给
各种不同口味及经济能力的人吃的.
: Dear Joana and Paulo, 琼娜、保罗:
: I just wanted to tell you that I arrived here safe and sound. 妈已经平安回来了, 致
函告知.
: Your father was fine. 爸爸一切都很好,
: He was a bit lonely while I was away, but it was nice to find out how much we
missed each other. 妈不在的这段日子, 他确实有一点寂寞, 但是能够发现我们是彼此多么地想
念, 很是安慰.
: He’s really a good man. 他真是一个很好的人,
: You know, he was sick while I was visiting you, but he never told us because he
didn’t want us to worry.你们知道吗? 当我去探望你们的时候, 他生病了, 但为了不希望我们耽
心, 他一直没告诉我们,
: He was probably right. He knows how I worry. 他这样做大概没有错, 因为他知道
妈很容易发愁.
: Anyway, he ’s better now, although I wish he would take better care of himself. 反正,
他现在已经痊愈了, 但是, 只有他更珍惜身体, 妈才会放心.
: How are you, Paulo? 保罗你好吗?
: How I admire your ability to learn languages! 你学语言的能力那么高, 妈真佩服
不已.
: I must tell you how nice it was to come home to Brazil where everyone in the street
speaks Portuguese. 妈禁不住要告诉你们, 能回到人人都讲葡萄牙文的巴西老家, 真是棒极了!

着迷英语900 句
: I realize now how much energy it took to speak English! 妈现在才知道想说好英语
要费多大的精力.
: And Joana, keep me informed of your plans. 对了, 琼娜, 随时告诉妈你有什么打算.
: I wish your father could meet Michael. 妈在想, 你爸爸若能和麦可见面多好.
: Your father wants to add a few words at the end of the letter. 你爸爸想在信尾补充
几句.
: Take care of yourselves, and please write when you get a minute. 两位要保重, 且有
空时来信.
: Love, Mama 妈
: Your mother had a wonderful time with you both, but I’m glad to have her back home.
妈妈跟你们在一起时很愉快, 但爸很高兴她已回家来了.
: Paulo --one of my clients, Mr. Crotisoz, will be in New York next week. 保罗: 我有
一位客户苛蒂苏斯先生下星期要到纽约去,
: If it
is not too much trouble, I’d like you to do whatever you can to make his stay more
pleasant. 如果不太麻烦的话, 爸希望你尽你所能使他能在纽约玩得更愉快些,
: If he doesn’t call you, fine. 如果他没给你电话没有关系.
: I’ll be in New York on business in October. I’ll see you both then. 我将在十月到纽约洽
谈商务, 到时候见!
: Take care, 多保重.
: Papa 爸
JIM YAMAMOTO: From the earliest times, people have held sports competitions. 自古以来, 人们
便举行运动比赛.
JIM YAMAMOTO: The athletic few compete on the field while the rest of us participate from the
safety of our seats.少数有运动能力的人在运动场比赛, 而我们其余的人都安全地坐在椅子上以
观众的身份参加.
JIM YAMAMOTO: Today sports are certainly as popular as ever, and because of radio and television,
如今体育活动确实和以往一样受人重视; 而且由于广播和电视的发明,
JIM YAMAMOTO: we can now compete from a distance. “ 我们现在可从千里外”“参与”“ 比赛.”
JIM YAMAMOTO: In fact, for important competitions, the whole world becomes one big stadium.
甚至于举行重要比赛时, 全世界就成为一个大运动场.
JIM YAMAMOTO: It is hard to say why humans like organized games. 人类为什么会喜欢有组织
的竞技活动呢?
JIM YAMAMOTO: The reasons that we enjoy sports probably differ from person to person. 运动带
给我们乐趣的原因大概因人而异.
JIM YAMAMOTO: Whether little kids are kicking a ball around a city 不管是一群小孩子在市区的游
戏场把球踢来踢去,
JIM YAMAMOTO: playground, or million-dollar-a-year athletes are playing in a modern stadium,
或者是年薪高达百万美元的运动员在最现代化的体育场比赛,
JIM YAMAMOTO: the excitement of competition, motion, discipline, and beauty are in the air. 都
充满着竞争、动作、纪律和美感及令人兴奋的气氛.
JIM YAMAMOTO: Who doesn’t stop to watch a ball game in the street or a swimmer in a pool? 若
是有人在街上打球或在游泳池里游泳, 谁不佇足观看的?

着迷英语900 句
JIM YAMAMOTO: What parents are not proud to see their children carried off the field by thankful
fans? 哪家父母亲看到自己的孩子被感激的球迷们从球场扛下去而不引以为荣的?
JIM YAMAMOTO: For the players, the joys of sportsmanship can include punishing self-discipline
and the friendship of teammates. 而对运动员来说, 严厉的自律以及对队友们的友谊也是运动道
德的乐趣.
JIM YAMAMOTO: Then there is that special thrill that comes only to a lucky few. 还有一种特殊
的快感, 是少数最幸运的人才能体验得到的.
JIM YAMAMOTO: It is the thrill that comes from hearing a thousand voices shout your name. 那就
是听到成千上万的人喊出你的名字的时候, 心里所感受到的喜悦.
JIM
YAMAMOTO: But personal victory is only one kind of victory. 但是个人的胜利只是很多种
胜利里面的一种,
JIM YAMAMOTO: In every game someone must lose, but mankind wins every time an athletic record
is broken. 每场比赛难免有输的一方, 但是每逢有运动记录被打破之时, 人类就赢得了胜利.
JIM YAMAMOTO: It is this aspect of sports that brings people together. 运动之所以能使人感到共
鸣的原因就在这里.
“JIM YAMAMOTO: Even in defeat, no one says to an athlete, ““So what?”““ “即使在运动员失败
的时候, 也没有人会责备他说: ““这算什么?”““
“JIM YAMAMOTO: You say, ““Good try!”““ “ 我们都说: ““可圈可点!”““
“JIM YAMAMOTO: And when your pride gets hurt and your muscles are sore, you say to yourself,
““That’s part of the game. I’ll win next time!” “而当我们自尊受损、肌肉酸痛之际, 我们心里就
会想: “这是比赛的一部份, 我下次会赢的!”
第六集
MARTA: Airports are sad places. 飞机场是令人伤感的地方.
MIGUEL: Sometimes, I guess. But, we’ll write. You’ll come down at Christmas. 有时候大概是吧.
但是我们会写信的. 在圣诞节你会来这里的.
MARTA: If we can find the money. 如果能? 够钱的话.
MIGUEL: Don’t worry, Marta. 玛它你放心好了,
MIGUEL: Everything will be taken care of.一切都会安排好的.
MIGUEL: They say that fares are going to be reduced in the next six months. And when I graduate,
well... 听说机票在六个月以内会减价. 而且当我毕业后, 就...
MARTA: That’s two years from now. 那是两年以后的事.
MIGUEL: Two years is a long time. 两年是一段很长的时间.
MIGUEL: The time will pass quickly. 时间会过得很快.
MIGUEL: You’ll see. I might even be able to come back to New York next summer. 说不定. 我明
年夏天也许能够再回到纽约来也不一定.
MARTA: Oh, Miguel, you’ll forget all about me. Your mother will find you a nice girl, you’ll get
married, and live happily ever after. 米盖尔, 你会把我拋到九霄云外. 你妈妈会替你找一个合适
的女孩子, 然后你会结婚, 并且以后会有幸福美满的生活.
MIGUEL: No, I won’t. I swear I won’t. Don’t you believe me? 我不会的. 我发誓不会. 你不相信
我吗?

着迷英语900 句
MARTA: I don’t want to talk about it. All I know is that you are going to be taken away from me. 我
不想谈. 我只知道,你要被别人抢走了.
MIGUEL: That’s ridiculous! I’ll write every day, whether you answer me or not. 胡说! 我每天都会
写信, 不管你回信不回信.
MARTA: Don’t be silly. You’ll have other things to do. 别说傻话. 你会有别的事情够你忙的了.
MIGUEL: Don’t cry, Marta, please. 玛它, 不要哭, 我求你.
MIGUEL: Look, here come Mrs. Ortega and Pedro. 你看, 欧特迦太太和佩德罗来了.
MARTA: I wish the
y would go away. 我真希望他们走远一点.
MIGUEL: You don’t really mean that, Marta. 玛它, 你不是真的这样想吧.
PEDRO: I hope we’re not interrupting anything. We want to say good-bye, too. 希望我们没有打扰
你们. 我们也想道别一下.
: Let me give you a kiss, my boy. Remember me to your mother and father. 孩子, 让
我亲你一下. 替我问候令堂令尊.
: I hope to see them again. I’ll miss you, Miguel. 我希望能再看到他们. 米盖尔,
我会想你.
MIGUEL: I’ll miss you, too. It’s been a wonderful summer. Thank you. Take care of Pedro. He still
needs his mama.
我也会想您. 这个夏天过得可真愉快. 谢谢您. 您要照顾佩德罗. 他还需要妈妈.
PEDRO: Good-bye, kid. 再见, 老弟.
LOUSPEAKER: Last call for Flight 629 for Bogota, leaving from Gate 10. 搭乘六二九次班机飞往
波哥大的乘客请到十号登机处,这是最后一次广播.
MARTA: You’d better hurry, Miguel. 米盖尔, 要快一点.
MIGUEL: Don’t cry, Marta. 玛它, 不要哭了.
OFFIDER: Sorry, Miss. 这位小姐, 很抱歉.
OFFICER: Only passengers are allowed beyond this point. 只有乘客才可以过去.
MIGUEL: Marta?... 玛它?...
MARTA: Good-bye, Miguel. 米盖尔, 再见.
ALI: How many days to my birthday? 我的生日还有几天到?
: Five. 五天.
ALI: Are we going to invite Mr. Yamamoto, the vegetable man, to my party? 我们要不要邀请山本
先生, 卖菜的, 参加我的派对?
: I don’t think so, dear. 我想不邀请他, 孩子.
: We don’t know him very well, 我们和他不很熟,
: and he might be too busy to come. 而且他可能太忙.
: I understand his store is being renovated next week. 我听说他的商店下个星期要
整修内部.
ALI: Oh. And what about Mr. O’Neill? Is he coming? 噢, 那欧尼尔先生呢? 他来不来?
: He’s been invited. 他已经被邀请了.
ALI: But is he coming? 但是他会来吗?
: We haven’t heard from him yet, Ali. 阿里, 他还没有答覆我们呢.
ALI: I hope he comes. 我希望他能来.
: Don’t worry, Ali. I’m sure he’ll try his best.阿里, 你放心好了. 我相信他会儘量赶

着迷英语900 句
来的.
ALI: What about Mr. Yamamoto? 那么山本先生呢?
: I don’t know, dear. 我不知道, 孩子.
ALI: But I want to invite him. 我要请他来嘛.
: Let’s wait and ask your father. 我们等一下问你爸爸好了.
ALI: Do we have to wait? 我们一定要等吗?
: Of course, Ali. But don’t be upset. The invitation can be sent out first thing in the
morning. 阿里, 当然要等. 但是不要那么烦恼了. 明天早上第一件事就是将请帖寄出去.
ALI: I’m going outside. OK? 我要到外面走走. 好不好?
: All right, dear. Don’t be too long. It’s almost lunch time. 好的, 孩子. 别出去太久.
快要吃午餐的了.
: Hello, Simon. Have you seen Ali this afternoon? 塞门你好. 你今天下午有没有看
到阿里?
: No, Zahra. Why? 没有, 萨拉. 出了什么事吗?
: Oh, dear. I can’t find him anywhere. I thought he might have gone to the Fair. I’ve
looked all over. 噢,亲爱的. 我到处都找不到他. 我以为他可能是到万博会去了. 我已经到处找
过了.
: I don’t know what to do. 我不知道怎么办才好.
: He should have been back an hour ago. 他一个钟头前就应该回来了.
: Don’t worry, Zahra. Probably, he’s visiting a friend and forgot about the time. 萨拉,
别着急. 大概他去找朋友而忘了时间.
: But an hour and a half? 但会一个半钟头吗?
: That’s not like him. 这不像他.
: He could have had an accident. 他可能发生了意外.
: Yes, he could have, Zahra, but he probably didn’t. Did anything happen this morning?
What were you talking about before he left? 可能是可能, 萨拉, 但他也可能没发生什么事. 今天
早上有没有发生什么事情? 他走以前你们谈了些什么?
: His birthday party. 他生日派对的事.
: It’s all he talks about lately. 最近他所谈到的就是这件事.
: Is it possible you said something to upset him? 可不可能是你说了些什么话, 使他
不高兴?
: I must have. I know he was upset because we haven’t received Mr. O’Neill’s reply
to our invitation, and...一定是这样子. 我们邀请了欧尼尔先生, 但还没收到他的答覆我知道他有
点难过, 还有...
: And? 还有什么?
: And because we haven’t invited Mr. Yamamoto.还有, 因为我们没有邀请山本先生.
: Anything else? 还有别的吗?
: No. He left the house right after that. I suppose I should have called you earlier. 没
有了. 谈过这些以后他就出去了. 我应该早一点打电话给你的.
: Zahra, I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about. He’s probably on his way to the Fair
to see Mr. O’Neill, or else he’s with Mr. Yamamoto. 萨拉, 我想我们没有什么好担心的. 他大概
到万博会去探望欧尼尔先生, 或者在山本先生那边.

着迷英语900 句
: Oh, wait! Here he is! And Mr. Yamamoto is with him. You were right, Simon. He
must have gone to Mr. Yamamoto’s. 噢, 等一下! 他来了! 山本先生跟他一道. 塞门, 你说对了.
他一定是到山本先生那里去了.
MRS. NIKZAD: Ali, my little Martian. Where were you? Why didn’t you tell me where you were
going? You’ve been gone three hours! 阿里, 我的小火星人, 你到哪里去了? 你为什么不告诉我
你要去哪里? 你已出去叁个钟头了!
MRS. NIKZAD: Mr. Yamamoto, I can’t thank you enough for bringing him back. What happened,
Ali? Where were you? I wa
s so worried. 山本先生, 你把他带回来了, 我真感激不尽. 阿里, 到底
发生了什么事? 你到哪里去了? 我多么耽心.
ALI: Don’t cry, Mommy. I won’t do it again. I promise. Don’t cry. I just went to Mr. Yamamoto’s
store to invite him to my party. 不要哭了, 妈! 我不会再犯了. 我答应你. 不要哭了. 我只是到山
本先生的店里去请他参加我的派对.
ALI: It takes too long to invite people by mail. I got lost. 因为写信邀请人太慢. 我迷路了.
ALI: I started walking, and then I didn’t know where I was. So I asked people to help me find Mr.
Yamamoto’s store.我开始走路, 然后不知道自己在哪里. 所以我请别人帮助我找山本先生的商店.
“ALI: Some people said, ““Turn left,”“ and some people said, ““Turn right,”“ and sometimes I forgot
what they said. But I didn’t get scared!” “有的人说: ““往左转,”“ 也有的人说: ““往右转,”“ 有时
候我忘了他们说什么. 可是我并不害怕!”
“ALI: I kept saying to myself, ““You’re almost seven!”“ Anyway, all of a sudden, I was right there in
front of Mr. Yamamoto’s store.” “我一直对自己说: ““你快七岁了!”“ 反正我忽然间, 来到了山本
先生商店的门口.”
ALI: It was like magic! And Mr. Yamamoto can come to my party. I asked him. 就像在变魔术一样!
山本先生可以参加我的派对, 我已经问过他了.
MR. YAMAMOTO: You should have seen him, Mrs. Nikzad. 可惜你没有看到, 尼克萨德太太.
MR. YAMAMOTO: When Ali found the store, he may have been shaking a little, but he wouldn’t
cry. He’s a brave boy. 当阿里找到我的店的时候, 虽然似乎有一点发抖, 但他坚决不哭. 他是
个很勇敢的小男孩.
: Dear Pedro, 佩德罗,
: I’ve been back over a week now. 我已经回来一个多星期了.
: I expected to have trouble adjusting to life in New York, but no one ever told me that I would have
trouble readjusting to my old life! 刚到纽约时会住不惯, 这是我预料中的事, 但从来没有人告诉
我重新适应我以往的生活会有困难!
: I don’t understand it. 我真搞不懂.
: I get angry at things that never used to get me angry. 一向不会让我生气的事, 现在竟让我生气.
: I lose patience with my family. 我对家人也没有了耐性.
: And unless I calm down, I’m going to lose my friends, too. 而且, 除非我情绪能冷静下来, 不然
我还将会失去我的朋友们.
: I must have changed. Everybody says I have. 我必须改一改. 每个人都说我必须改.
: I know I see the world differently now, but I don’t want to be the person I was before I went away.
我知道我各方面的眼光跟以前不一样, 但是, 我不愿意再作离开以前的那个我.
: What do I do now, Pedro? 佩德罗, 我现在应该怎么办才好?
: I miss Marta every minute, but I won’t say any more about tha
t because I can just hear you making
fun of me. 我时时刻刻地想念玛它, 但是, 关于这一点我似乎可以听到你在嘲笑我, 所以不多

着迷英语900 句
说了.
: I even miss you! 我连你都想念!
: Which reminds me, how did your interview go? 说起你的事, 我几乎忘了, 你面试的经过如何?
: Did you get the assistant manager position? 你获得助理经理的职位了吗?
: You know, Pedro, there is no way I can repay the kindness that you and your family have shown me.
你知道吗, 佩德罗, 你和你的家人对我的恩情我没有办法还报你们.
: All I can say is thank you, and I hope that someday soon you will visit us. 我唯一能说的是谢谢你,
而且我希望很快的有一天你就会来看我们.
: Our house is your house. 我们的家就是你的家.
: Miguel PS I know you don’t write letters, but you could send a postcard every now and then. 米盖
尔附记: 我知道你是不写信的, 不过有时候你可以寄张明信片来.
: PPS I must have been in a daze when I left New York. 再附记: 我离开纽约的时候一定是昏了头.
: You know my sweater, the one you always used to borrow? 你以前老跟我借的那件毛衣,
: I must have left it at your apartment. 我大概遗放在你家.
: If you find it, keep it for me until I return. 你要是找到的话, 帮我保留到等我回到纽约.
: It looks good on you. 它穿在你的身上看起来不错.
: Attention young artists! 年轻的艺术家们请注意!
: The Brazilian Pavilion of the World’s Fair is sponsoring an international art competition.万国博览
会巴西馆将举办一项国际性艺术比赛.
: The winner will receive a $$10,000 a year grant to live and study for two years at the institution of
his choice anywhere in Brazil. 第一名将获得一年一万美元的奖学金以作为赴巴西就读其所选择
之任何大专院校为期二年的生活费及学费.
: All men and women under thirty years of age are cordially invited to enter the competition. 诚请未
满叁十岁之青年男女报名参加.
: During December we wi ll be exhibiting as many entries as possible at the World’s Fair Museum of
Modern Art. 巴西馆将在十二月份尽可能将所有的参赛作品陈列于万国博览会现代艺术馆供大
众观赏.
: But, as the judges, all internationally famous artists, 但因为裁判必须在元月一日前作决定,
: must make their decision before January 1, the Brazilian Pavilion must receive your entry by
December 1. 所以所有参选的作品必须在十二月一日前送至巴西馆本比赛的裁判, 均为举世闻
名的艺术家.
: On January 1 the Brazilian Pavilion will have the pleasure of announcing the results of the
competition. 在元月一日,巴西馆将十分荣幸地宣布比赛的结果.
: The ceremony will take place in the Grand Gallery of the Museum at 4:30 PM. 仪式将于该日下午
四时叁十分假现代艺术
馆大陈列厅举行.
: All works of art remain your property and will be returned after the first of the year. 各作品之所有
权将属于作者所拥有作品于元月一日后将归还原主.
: As we cannot be liable for paintings submitted to us, please insure your entry against loss, damage, or
destruction. 作品若有遗失, 损害或毁损等情形, 巴西馆无法负责任, 敬请各位自行投保为盼.
: Persons related to the staff of the Brazilian Pavilion are not eligible to enter the competition. 凡与
巴西馆工作人员有亲戚关系的人不得参与比赛.
EVERYONE: Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, dear Ali, Happy

着迷英语900 句
Birthday to you. 祝你生日快乐, 祝你生日快乐, 亲爱的阿里生日快乐, 祝你生日快乐.
: Blow out the candles, Ali, but first make a wish. 把腊烛吹熄, 阿里, 先许个愿,
ALI: What should I wish for? 我应许什么愿?
BILL: Anything you want, but don’t tell us. If you tell your wish, it won’t come true. 任何你想要的
都可以, 但不要告诉我们. 你的愿望如果告诉了别人, 就不会实现了.
HUSSEIN: Here comes the ice cream! 冰淇淋来了!
ALI: Wow, look at it all! Gallons and gallons of it! 哇, 大家看! 好几桶啊!
: You know, Mr. O’Neill, by the time we left the house, Ali had asked for ice cream at
least half a dozen times. I’m glad I didn’t let him have any. 鸥尼尔先生, 你可知道, 今天出门的时
候, 阿里已经有六次以上要求吃冰淇淋. 我很高兴我没让他吃.
WAITER: Here you are. And here’s a big spoon. 来, 这个大调羹也给你.
REPORTER: Hold it. Just like that! Now another one, Ali. 别动, 就这样子! 阿里, 再来一个.
REPORTER: Hold that spoon up. 拿着调羹.
REPORTER: Good. Thank you. 好. 谢谢.
REPORTER: I hadn’t expected such a big turnout. 想不到有这么多人来.
REPORTER: Thanks for the story. 这个题材很好, 谢谢你通知我.
ALI: Who is that, Dad? 爸, 那是谁?
: A reporter for The World’s Fair Newsletter. 万国博览会通讯报的记者.
ALI: Wow! Will my picture be in the papers? 哇! 我的照片会不会登在报纸上?
: I hope so. 我希望会.
ALI: I wish I hadn’t eaten dinner last night. 我真希望我昨天晚上没有吃晚餐.
: Why, Ali? Don’t you feel well? 为什么, 阿里? 你不舒服吗?
ALI: Oh, no! I feel fine. But I wish I had room for more ice cream. 噢, 不是! 我很好. 我只是恨不
能吃更多的冰淇淋.
: I hope you don’t get sick. 我希望你不会吃坏肚子.
ALI: I won’t. But even if I do, I won’t be sorry. 不会的啦. 但是就算吃坏了肚子我也不会后悔的.
HUSSEIN: I wish I had known about this place for my birthday. Ali, open your presents. Here’s one
from Mr. Yamamoto.我上次过生日的时候, 如果知道有这个地方, 多好. 阿里, 拆开你的礼
物.
这?是山本先生送的.
ALI: OK. Wow! A baseball and a bat. Gee, thank you, Mr. Yamamoto. 好. 哇! 是一个棒球和一支
球棒! 谢谢您, 山本先生.
HUSSEIN: Here’s one from Mr. O’Neill. I wonder if it’s a giant ice cream sandwich! 这个是欧尼尔
先生送的. 你看会不会是一个巨大的冰淇淋叁明治!
ALI: Oh, boy! 噢, 老天!
ALI: I wish it were my birthday every day! 我真希望天天过生日!
: I’m glad it’s not. 我真高兴不是.
ALI: Wow, a mitt! 哇, 一副棒球手套!
HUSSEIN: Here’s a note. I’ll read it to you. 这里有一张纸条, 我念给你听.
HUSSEIN: Dear Ali, You don’t know me, but my father says you’re an okay kid, and you want to
learn to play baseball. 亲爱的阿里, 你不认识我, 但我爸爸说你是个很好的孩子, 还说你想学
打棒球.
HUSSEIN: OK., I’ll teach you. Happy birthday. Bill, PS I wi sh I could have come to your party. 好,

着迷英语900 句
我教你. 祝你生日快乐。小比尔, 附记: 真希望能够参加你的派对.
ALI: wow! I wish we had invited everybody in the world!哇! 我真希望我们能邀请全世界的每个人.
MICHAEL: Do you like it? 喜不喜欢?
PEDRO: It’s brilliant! 出类拔萃!
MICHAEL: I hope the judges think so. 但愿评审们也这样认为.
PEDRO: I hate to tell you, but I heard through a friend of a friend that Leo van der Zee is entering the
competition. 我不太想告诉你, 但是, 我一个朋友的朋友说利欧·泛·德·西要参加比赛.
MICHAEL: I wish you hadn’t told me. 但愿你没跟我说.
PEDRO: Oh, come on. Your painting is great. 别这样子嘛! 你的画非常好.
MICHAEL: Sure, but van der Zee is a fine painter, 画是不错, 但是泛·德·西是一个很出色的画家,
MICHAEL: and he’s much better known than I. 而且他比我出名得多.
PEDRO: So what? 那又怎么样?
MICHAEL: I guess you’re right. But I wish I knew if I was wasting my time. 你大概说得对, 我只
是想知道我是不是浪费时间.
PEDRO: If you knew what the future was going to be like, life would be boring. 人要是知道将来会
怎么样, 人生会显得太无聊.
MICHAEL: I didn’t know that you had become a philosopher.我还不知道你已经变成一个哲学家了.
PEDRO: And I had forgotten that you could be such a pain in the neck. 而我都忘了你是个令人头
痛的家伙.
MICHAEL: You’re right. I’m sorry. I’m driving everyone crazy. 你说得对. 很抱歉, 我令大家都
无耐,
MICHAEL: Let’s change the subject. 我们换一个话题吧!
MICHAEL: Do you have and more bad news? 你还有没有坏消息?
PEDRO: No. That’s all for today. 没有了. 今天就是这么多.
PEDRO: Miguel called Marta from Colombia. He loves her. He misses her. 米盖尔从哥伦比亚打电
话给玛它. 他爱她, 想念她,
PEDRO: He thinks about her every minute, 时时刻刻都在想她,
PEDRO: and he can’t live without h
er. He says. 没有她, 他就不能活下去. 他说
MICHAEL: He’s a nice guy. 他人很好.
PEDRO: He’s young and inexperienced. If he knew what I know... 他年轻而缺乏经验, 他要是懂
得我懂的...
MICHAEL: He’d be cynical, old, and unhappy, like you.他愤世嫉俗, 苍老而不快乐. 就会像你一样
MICHAEL: Leave him alone. 不要干涉他,
MICHAEL: If you could find a girl like Marta, you’d be a lucky man. 你如果有本事找到一个女孩
子像玛它那样, 你就会是个幸运的男人.
PEDRO: That may be. In any case, he wishes you the best of luck in the competition. 或许如此. 不
管怎么样, 他祝你比赛得胜.
MICHAEL: Thank him for me if you get a chance. 有机会的话, 代我谢谢他.
MICHAEL: By the way, why are you so dressed up today?对了, 你今天怎么打扮得这么漂亮?
MICHAEL: It couldn’t be just for the unveiling of my painting. 不会是专为了参加我这幅画的揭
幕典礼吧!

着迷英语900 句
PEDRO: Very funny. Actually, I had an interview at a photographic supply house. 真好笑, 其实,
我今天是去一家摄影器材公司面试.
MICHAEL: I’m impressed. 有作为, 有作为.
PEDRO: They want me to be the assistant manager of their camera department? 他们要我担任相机
部的助理经理.
MICHAEL: You? In a nine to five job? I can’t believe it. Pedro in a jacket an tie? I never thought I’d
live to see the day. 你?每天九点到五点上班? 难以置信. 佩德罗竟然穿西装打领带! 我还以为
一辈子都见不到这么一天.
PEDRO: Hey, give me a break! 嘿, 少揶揄了!
MICHAEL: Pedro, I think it’s great. Congratulations. 佩德罗, 这是大好的消息, 恭喜你了.
PEDRO: Thanks. I guess. 谢谢你, 我想我该这么说.
MICHAEL: You don’t seem very happy about it. 你好像对这件事不太高兴.
PEDRO: I have to get used to the idea. 我还没进入状况.
LAURA: Hello, Bill. 哈罗, 比尔.
BILL: How are you, Laura? 罗拉, 你好吗?
BILL: Have you found a job yet? 找到工作没有?
CUSTOMER: Do you have vanilla cones? 有没有香草甜筒?
BILL: Certainly. Here you are. Now, where were we? Oh, yes. 当然有的, 这就是. 我们刚刚谈到
哪里了? 噢, 对了,
BILL: I asked if you had found a job yet. 我问你有没有找到工作.
LAURA: No, not yet, but I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. 没, 还没有, 不过我最近想了很多.
BILL: Well, you know Paulo Farias, the nice-looking young man at the Brazilian Pavilion? 嗯, 你认
识保罗·法瑞斯? 就是在巴西馆工作, 仪容很讨人喜欢的那位青年.
LAURA: Yes, I remember him. 认识, 我记得他.
BILL: I told him that you had resigned. 我已经告诉他说你辞职了.
LAURA: You did? 真的?
BILL: And that you were looking for a new position. 我还告诉他说你要找新的职位.
LAURA: What did he say? 他怎么说?
BILL: He said that he remembered you. 他说他记得你.
LAURA: That
’s nice, What else did he say? 那好, 他还说什么?
BILL: He said he was looking for a secretary. But he also said he didn’t think he could hire you. 他
说他正在找秘书, 可是他也说大概不能雇用你.
LAURA: Oh, why? 噢, 为什么?
BILL: Because he does a lot of work with Mr. Crawford’s office. 因为他跟郭佛先生的公司经常有
生意来往.
LAURA: Yes, of course. Oh, well, thanks for trying. 对了, 那当然. 噢! 谢谢你帮我打听.
BILL: Wait, don’t give up yet. 慢点, 别那么快放弃希望,
BILL: He said he might be able to find you a job in another department. 他说他可能在别的部门帮
你找个工作.
LAURA: Oh, Bill. You’re wonderful. Thank you. 比尔, 你真好, 谢谢你.
LAURA: You should open up an employment agency. 你应该开一家职业介绍所才对.

着迷英语900 句
BILL: That’s what my wife says. That reminds me, 我太太也这样说. 这倒提醒了我,
BILL: she asked me to pick up a few things on the way home. 她叫我在回家的路上买些东西.
LAURA: Does your wife work, too? 你太太也上班吗?
BILL: Yes, she’s a florist. 是, 她在鲜花店做事.
LAURA: Does she like it? 她喜不喜欢?
BILL: Yes, she was saying just last night that she had never enjoyed a job more. 喜欢. 她昨天晚上
才说从来没有那么喜欢过一份工作.
BILL: So now, what are we going to do about you? You said that you had been doing a lot of
thinking. 好了, 你的事怎么办? 你说你最近想了很多.
LAURA: Yes, I was thinking that maybe I needed a change. 对, 我在想或许我需要换别种工作.
BILL: Have you ever thought about being a tour guide? 你以前有没有考虑过当导游?
LAURA: A tour guide? 导游?
BILL: Someone told me that he had heard that they needed another Spanish-English tour guide. Even
though they haven’t announced the opening yet, I’d apply now. 有人告诉我他听说他们需要再请
一位会讲西班牙语和英语的导游. 这个空缺虽然还没公布, 可是最好现在就申请.
LAURA: Maybe I should. You really are a sweetheart. 也许我应该去申请, 你真是个古道热肠的
好人.
BILL: Good luck. 祝你幸运.
JOANA: There’s quite a crowd here. 这里人很多.
MICHAEL: Everybody in the art world is here. Artists, critics, collectors, everybody. I want to go
home. There’s Leo van der Zee! 艺术界所有的人都来了, 艺术家、评论家、收藏家, 谁都来了. 我
想回家了, 那边那个是利欧·泛·德·西.
PEDRO: Which painting is his? 哪一幅是他的画?
MICHAEL: The large one to the left of mine. 在我的画左边,
MICHAEL: It’s very good. Very good. 很大的那幅, 画得很好, 非常好.
JOANA: I don’t like it. 我不喜欢.
MICHAEL: I would be proud to say that I had done it. 我如果能够说是我画的, 我会很骄傲.
PEDRO: I don’t like it, either. 我也不喜欢.
MICHAEL: Ssh, There’s Paulo. Did anyone tell hi
m that I entered the competition under another
name? 嘘, 保罗在哪里了, 有没有人告诉他我用别人的名字参加?
JOANA: I don’t know. But even if he had found out, he certainly wouldn’t have told me. Paulo can
be very discreet. 我不晓得. 不过, 就算他发现, 也绝对不会跟我说, 保罗说话很谨慎.
PAULO: Ladies an gentlemen... 各位先生女士...
MICHAEL: Why doesn’t he get on with it? 为什么他不说下去?
JOANA: Be patient, Michael. 麦可, 要有耐心.
PEDRO: ... The Brazilian Pavilion has been pleased and honored to have as judges persons of such
distinction that... ... 巴西馆能够请到这么出名的几位评审, 感到非常的高兴和荣幸. 因此...
MICHAEL: If I had known there were going to be a lot of speeches, I would have come later. 早知
道会有那么多演讲的话,我宁可到得晚点.
JOANA: It’ll all be over soon, Michael. 麦可, 很快就会结束的.
PAULO: The judges, as you can imagine, had a very difficult time choosing a winner. The quality of
the paintings.... 评审各位可想而知, 在选择优胜者时所感到的困难, 作品的水准...

着迷英语900 句
MICHAEL: Paulo, shut up. Or say something original. Say something like, 保罗闭嘴, 要不然说一
点新鲜的话, 譬如说一句类似。
“MICHAEL: ““Most of the paintings were garbage.”““ 「大多数的作品像垃圾」的话.
PAULO: And if I had been one of the judges, I don’t think I could have come to any decision at all;
but, fortunately... 如果我是评审之一, 我想我根本没有办法决定; 不过, 幸好...
MICHAEL: I’ve got to step outside. I need some fresh air. 我必须出去走走, 我要呼吸一点新鲜的
空气.
JOANA: Don’t leave now, Michael, they’re... 麦可你现在不要走, 他们就要...
MICHAEL: I’ve got to. I’m too nervous. 我不能不出去, 我太紧张了.
ALI: Hello, Are you an artist? 你好. 你是不是艺术家?
MICHAEL: I don’t know. 我不晓得,
MICHAEL: The judges are making up their minds. 评审正在下决定.
MICHAEL: Watch it, your ice cream is dripping. 小心, 你的冰淇淋正在滴下来.
ALI: Thanks. 谢谢.
ALI: Speeches are really boring, aren’t they? 演讲真无聊, 对不对?
MICHAEL: You can say that again. That ice cream looks good. 可不是吗? 那个冰淇淋看起来很
好吃,
MICHAEL: Where did you get it? 你是在哪里买的?
ALI: Here, Have a bite. 来, 吃一口.
MICHAEL: Uh...嗯...
ALI: Go ahead. I don’t mind. 吃嘛! 我不介意.
JOANA: Michael, quick! They’re about to announce the winner. 麦可快一点, 他们就要宣布得胜
名单了.
MICHAEL: Excuse me. Thanks for the offer. 对不起, 我有事. 谢谢你的好意.
ALI: Sure. 不谢.
PAULO: ... And now it is my pleasure to announce the winner. For personal reasons, the artist chose
to enter the competition under another name... 现在我十分荣幸地宣布优胜者, 由于私
人的理由,
这位艺术家决定用另外一个名字参加比赛...
JOANA: It’s you! You won! I can’t believe... 是你! 你赢了! 我不能相信...
MICHAEL: It could be someone else, too. 也可能是别的人.
PAULO: ... But whatever his name, there can be no doubt that he is a master. The world can expect
great things from his brush... 但是不管他叫什么名字, 他是一位艺术大师是无可置疑的. 世人可
期望从他的画笔下看到许多伟大的作品...
MICHAEL: Enough. Enough. 够了, 够了.
PAULO: The winner, Pedro Ortega. I hope he is here. 第一名, 佩德罗·欧特迦, 希望他在场.
JOANA: I’m so happy. I don’t know what I would have done if Paulo had said some other name. 我
多么高兴, 如果保罗宣布另外一个人的名字, 我不知道我会怎么样.
ALI: I was talking to that man. 我刚刚跟那个人说过话.
: He’s a great painter. 他是个画家.
ALI: He likes ice cream, too. 而且他也喜欢冰淇淋.
: THE WORLD’S FAIR NEWSLETTER VOLUME 2 NO. 1 万国博览会二卷一期
: A BIRTHDAY AT THE FAIR by Henry leeds 博览会上的一个生日派对亨利·利德斯着

着迷英语900 句
: Today was an important day at the Fair. 今天在万博会是很重要的一天.
: A guy is seven only once and Ali Nikzad made the most of it. 每个人只能过一次七岁, 而阿里·尼
克萨德今天藉此机会尽情地享受一番,
: What is closer to a boy’s heart than ice cream and baseball? 除了棒球和冰淇淋以外, 还有什么东
西更讨小男孩喜欢?
: Nothing. And so, at Ali’s birthday party there was plenty of ice cream and lost of baseball
equipment 一个都没有. 因此, 在阿里的生日派对上, 有吃不完的冰淇淋和一大堆棒球器具.
: Ali, the son of Mr. Simon Nikzad, a vice-president of the International Bank, has always loved the
Fair and spends all his free time here. 阿里是国际银行副理塞门·尼克萨德先生的儿子, 他一向都
非常喜欢我们万博会, 把空闲的时间全部花在这里.
: He is an independent guy and insists on exploring the world by himself. 他有很独立的个性, 而且坚
持一个人去探究世界.
: Ali told this reporter that he’d been dreaming of his birthday for weeks. 阿里向本刊记者表示, 他
梦想这一天已经好几个星期了.
: Had his birthday been everything he could have hoped for? 问及他生日所希望的是否都能实现时,
: Absolutely. 他答覆说全部实现了.
: Had he been given everything his heart desired? Definitely. 问及他是否得到心里想得到的一切时,
他回答说都得到.
: And what about friends? They were all there. 而他的朋友呢? 他们都来了.
: One of Ali’s best friends, Mr. Bill O’Neill, an ice cream vendor here at the Fair, was at the big party.
阿里最好的朋友之一,万博会冰淇淋摊贩比尔·欧尼尔参加了这次盛大聚会。
: So was Mr. Kenji Yam
amoto, whose well-known vegetable market is near the Fair. 还有万博会附
近一家出名果菜店的店主山本先生。
: Naturally Mr. and Mrs. Nikzad were there, and so was Hussein, Ali’s older brother. 当然,尼克萨
德先生和尼克萨德太太也来了,阿里的哥哥赫仙也在,
: Some of Ali’s classmates were there, too, but no girls. 阿里的一些同学也参加了,但是没有女孩子.
“: When I asked Ali about this, he said, ““I don’t know anything about girls yet, but I am going to
learn about them this year.”““ 记者问及这点时,阿里说:「我对任何事关女孩子的事还不明了;
不过今年我将要去瞭解她们.」
: Position Available 诚征人才
: The World’s Fair, Inc. is seeking a bilingual (Span.-Eng.) tour guide, male or female, 万国博览会
股份有限公司诚征双语(西班牙语及英语)导游一名,男女不拘,
: to conduct visitors through the major exhibition halls and Pavilions. 负责向导来宾参观各主要陈
列大楼与各馆.
: This individual should be energetic, enthusiastic, and enjoy meeting and working with new people.
应征者应具备下列条件: 热心、有活力、喜欢接触与帮助人;
: In addition, the applicant must be mature, tactful, and poised.此外须成熟、机智、维持良好的风度.
: Above all, a tour guide must be self-reliant and able to think on his/her feet. 最重要的是, 必须能自恃,
即采决定的能力.
: Tour guides must be in excellent health and be fluently bilingual. 应征者须身体健康, 能操流利
的英语和西班牙两种语言.
: Applicants who have had previous experience in group management are preferred. 应征者以具团

着迷英语900 句
体管理经验为佳.
: The salary is $$200 pre wk. including full benefits and vacation. 周薪两百美元, 包括全部福利及
假期.
: Please submit all inquiries, together with resumes and letters of reference, to: 意者请附简历表与
介绍信寄到:
: Ms. Lucille Green, Asst. Dir., Personnel World’s Fair, Inc. PO Box 1549-WFP Flushing, Queens,
NY. 纽约市皇后区法拉盛里邮政信箱1549-WFP 万国博览会股份有限公司人事处副主任露西
尔·格林女士收
: Dear Michael, 亲爱的麦克:
: I’m sure you thought you’d never hear from me again. 我想你一定以为永远不会有我的音信了,
: But, quite by chance, I read of your triumph in the newspapers here. 但是我恰好从这里的报纸得
悉你的胜利,
: For an instant I wished the things had happened differently and that I could have been there to
witness my brother’s victory. 一剎那间我恨不能改变过去的一切, 而我可以目睹你的胜利,
: I’m glad you made it. 我很高兴你成功了.
: I am not going to apologize for leaving as I did. 我不打算因为那样离开而道歉.
: And, knowing you, you probably wouldn’t ask me to. 而且我瞭解你, 你也不会
要求我道歉.
: Nevertheless, I wanted you to know that I think about you. 无论如何, 我想告诉你我常常想你,
: I hope one day we can sit down together and talk about all those things that were on our minds, but
remained unspoken. 我希望有一天我们可以在一起畅谈许多在心里想而没说出口的话.
: In the meantime, I would like to ask you to do me one favor. 同时, 我有一件事想麻烦你一下,
: Tell Mother I am married, that she is a grandmother, and that for first time in many years, I am
happy. 请你告诉妈我已经结婚了, 她也当了祖母, 而且那是我很多年以来第一次感到很快慰.
: As you see, there is no return address on this letter, but I will write again, sooner. 你也看到了, 信
上没有我的地址,但我会很快再来信的.
: Your brother, 兄
: Gary 贾瑞


仓库英文-印发


原谅的近义词-十三点什么意思


质子中子电子关系图-流水对


飞来山上千寻塔-高山流水什么意思


贫穷的英文-湿周


第一届世博会-撰文


枢纽怎么读-褪色的拼音


拉斯蒂涅-棘怎么读