大学英语精读3双语版 (3)
玛丽莲梦兔
569次浏览
2020年07月29日 20:46
最佳经验
本文由作者推荐
xiangshen-侵淫
第三章
Text
课文
Every teacher probably asks himself time and again:
每个老师都有可能一而再的询问他自己:
What are the reasons for choosing teacher as a career?
选择教师作为职业是由于什么原因?
Do the rewards of teaching outweigh the trying moments?
是不是教书的报酬其价值超过了那难受的时刻?
Answering these questions is not a simple task.
回答这些问题不是一个简单的任务。
Let's see what the author says.
让我们看看作者怎么说。
WHY I TEACH
我为什么当教师
Why do you teach?
你为什么要教书呢?
My friend asked the question
我的朋友提出这一问题。
when I told him that I didn't want to be considered for an administrative position .
当我告诉一位朋友我不想谋求行政职务时。
He was puzzled that I did not want what was obviously a "step up " toward what all Americans are taught to want when they grow up: money and power.
所有美国人受的教育是长大成人后应该追求金钱和权力,而我却偏偏不要明明是朝这个目标“迈进”的工作,他为之大惑不解。
Certainly I don't teach because teaching is easy for me.
当然,我之所以教书不是因为我觉得教书轻松。
Teaching is the most difficult of the various ways I have attempted to earn my living.
教书可是其中最难的一行,我做过各种各样的工作,藉以谋生:
Mechanic, carpenter, writer,
机修工、木工、作家,
For me, teaching is a red-eye, sweaty-palm, sinking-stomach profession.
对我来说,教书是个会令人熬红眼睛、手掌出汗、精神沮丧的职业。
Red-eye, because I never feel ready to teach no matter how late I stay up preparing.
说熬红眼睛,这是因为我晚上无论备课备得多晚,总觉得备得还不充分。
Sweaty-palm, because I'm always nervous before I enter the classroom,
说手掌出汗,这是因为我跨进教室之前总是非常紧张,
sure that I will be found out for the fool that I am.
自信学生一定会发觉原来我是个傻瓜蛋。
Sinking-stomach, because I leave the classroom an hour later convinced that I was even more boring than usual.
说精神沮丧,这是因为我1小时后走出教室时,确信这堂课上得比平常还要平淡无味。
Nor do I teach because I think I know answers,
我之所以教书,也不是因为我认为自己能够解答问题,
or because I have knowledge I feel compelled to share.
或者因为我有满腹学问,觉得非与别人分享不可。
Sometimes I am amazed that my students actually take notes on what I say in class!
有时我感到惊异,学生竟真的把我课上讲的东西做了笔记!
Why, then, do I teach?
这样说来,我为什么还教书呢?
I teach because I like the pace of the academic calendar.
我教书,是因为我喜爱校历的步调。
July, and August offer an opportunity for reflection, res
earch, and writing.
6月、7月和8月提供了一个供思考、研究和创作的机会。
I teach because teaching is a profession built on change.
我教书,是因为教学是建立在“变”这一基础上的职业。
When the material is the same,
教材还是原来的教材,
I change-and , more important,
但我自身却变了——更重要的是,
my students change.
我的学生变了。
I teach because I like the freedom to make my own mistakes,
我教书,是因为我喜欢有让自己犯错误的自由,
to learn my own lessons,
有自己吸取教训的自由,
to stimulate myself and my students.
有激励自己和激励学生的自由。
As a teacher,
作为教师,
I'm my own boss.
我可以自行作主。
If I want my freshmen to learn to write by creating their own textbook,
如果我想要求一年级学生通过编写课本的办法来学习写作,
who is to say I can't?
谁能说我不可以那样做呢?
Such courses may be huge failures,but we can all learn from failures.
这样的课程也许会彻低失败,但我们都可以从失败的尝试中获得教益。
I teach because I like to ask questions that students must struggle to answer.
我教书,是因为我喜欢向学生提出必须绞尽脑汁才能回答的问题。
The world is full of right answers to bad teaching,I sometimes find good questions.
我们的这个世界有无穷无尽的正确答案来对付拙劣的问题,何况我自己在教学过程中有时也会想到一些出色的问题。
I teach because I enjoy finding ways of getting myself and my students out of the ivory tower and into the real world.
我教书,是因为我喜欢想方设法使自己和我的学生从象牙荷塔里走出来,步入现实世界。
I once taught a course called "Self-Reliance in a Technological Society."
我曾经开过一门叫做“在工业技术社会里如何自力更生”的课程。
My 15 students read Emerson,Thoreau,kand kept wrote term paper.
我教的15位学生读了爱默生、梭洛和赫胥黎的作品,记了日记,还写了学期论文。
But we also set up a corporation,borrowed money,purchased a rundown house and practiced self-reliance by renovating it.
但除此而外,我们还办起一家公司,借钱买下一所破旧的房屋,通过对这一建筑物的整修翻新,我们就自力更生这一课题进行了一次实践活动。
At the end of the semester,we sold the house,repaid our loan,paid our taxes,and distributed the profits among the group.
在期末我们把房子卖掉,还清贷款,缴了税,余下的收益分给了参加实践的学生。
So teaching gives me pace,and variety ,and challenge,and the opportunity to keep on learning.
所以说,教学使我的工作进程有了规律,使我的生活变得丰富多采,教学向我提出了挑战,也给了我不断学习的机会。
I have left out,however,the m
ost important reasons why I is Vicky.
不过,我要教书的最重要的几个原因还没有讲以呢。其中一个原因与维基有关。
My first doctoral student,Vickly was an energetic student who labored at her dissertation on a little-known 14th century poet.
维基是我的第一个博士生。她精力充沛、孜孜不倦地撰写她那篇论述14世纪一位不知名诗人的学位论文。
She wrote articles and sent them off to learned did it all herself,with an occasional nudge from me.
她写过一些文章,寄给了学术刊物。这一切都由她独立完成,我偶尔从旁略加指点。
But I was there when she finished her dissertation,
我亲眼看到了她完成论文,
learned that her articles were accepted,got a job and won a fellowship to Harvard working on a book developing ideas she'd first had as my student.
看到了她得悉自己的文章被采用,亲眼目睹她找到了工作并获得了在哈佛大学当研究员的职位,著书论述她在做我学生时萌发的思想。
Another season is George ,who started as an engineering student,the switched to English because he decided he liked people better than things.
再一个原因与乔治有关。他开始学的是工程学,后来他深信自己爱人胜过用物,所以改学英语。
There is Jeanne,who left college,but was brought back by her classmates because they wanted her to see the end of the self-reliance house project.
还有珍妮。她中途辍学,但是她的同学把她拉了回来,因为他们想让她自动自力更生整修旧房这一项目的结果。
I was there when she came back.I was there when she told me that she later became interested in the urban poor and went on to become a civil rights lawyer.
我亲眼看到她回来了。我亲耳听到她对我说,她后来对城市贫民产生了兴趣,继而成了捍卫公民权力的律师。
There is Jacqui,a cleaning woman who know more by intuition than most of us learn by analysis.
还要提一提清洁女工杰基。她凭直觉了了解的事情比我们多数人通过分析弄清的东西还要多。
Jacqui has decided to finish high school and go to college.
杰基已经决定读中学,然后还要上大学。
There are the real reasons I teach,these people who grow and change in front of me.
这些在我眼前成长、变化的人,便是我要当教师的真正原因。
Being a teacher is being present at the creation,when the clay begins to breathe.
当一名教师意味着是创造的见证人,他目睹人体开始呼吸,开始了生命。
A "promotion" out of teaching would give me money and I have money.
“提升了”,不再教书了,也许会给我带来金钱的权力。
I get paid to do what I enjoy:reading ,talking with people,and asking questions like,"What is the point of being rich?"
可是我现在也有钱。我拿了薪金去做自己乐意做的事:读书、交谈、提问