Big Fish 《大鱼》中英剧本+词汇解析
玛丽莲梦兔
795次浏览
2020年07月30日 16:24
最佳经验
本文由作者推荐
肉的英文-裹胁
-Edward: There are some fish that cannot be caught.
有些鱼人们抓不到,
It's not that they're faster or stronger than other fish.
不是因为他们壮硕敏捷,
They're just touched by something extra.
extra: 特别的
而是因为他们拥有别的特质。
One such fish was The Beast.
beast: 野兽
其中有条"大怪鱼",
And by the time I was born he was already a legend.
legend: 传说
在我出生时,他就已经是个传说。
He'd passed up more $$ 100 lures than any fish in Alabama.
Lure: 诱饵 pass up: 拒绝;不予理睬
他是Alabama最多人想钓的鱼,但却没人钓得到他。
Some said that fish was the ghost of a thief who'd drowned in that river 60 years before...
ghost: 鬼;幽灵 thief: 小偷 drown: 淹死
有人说这条鱼是60年前淹死在河中的小偷冤魂化身,
Others claimed he was a dinosaur left over from the "Cruaceous" Period.
claim: 宣称;断言 dinosaur: 恐龙 Cruaceous: 白垩纪
还有人说他是恐龙时代的活化石。
I didn't put any stock into such speculation or superstition.
Speculation: 猜测 superstition: 迷信
我不迷信也不乱猜,
All I knew was I'd been trying to catch that fish since I was a boy no bigger than you.
我只知道我从你这个岁数开始,就一直想钓到这条鱼
And on the day you were born...
就在你出生的那天……
Well, that was the day I finally caught him.
我终于钓到他了,
Now, I'd tried everything on it:
我在他身上试过各种诱饵:
Worms, lures, peanut butter, peanut butter and cheese.
worm: 蠕虫 peanut: 花生 butter: 黄油 cheese: 芝士
虫子、人造饵、花生酱、花生酱加起司,
But on that day I had a revelation:
revelation: 启示
但那天,我脑中灵光乍现,
If that fish was Henry Walls' ghost, then the usual bait wasn't gonna work.
bait: 诱饵
那条鱼如果是Henry Walls的冤魂化身,普通鱼饵根本没用。
I was gonna have to use something he truly desired.
desire: 渴望
我得用他真正想要的东西来钓。
-Children: Your finger?
你的手指头吗?
-Edward: Gold.
金子。
Now, I tied my ring onto the strongest line they made...
tie: 绑 line: 线
我把婚戒用最坚韧的钓线绑妥……
strong enough to hold up a bridge, they said, if only for a few minutes.
hold up: 支撑住
那钓线可以撑住一座桥,如果只撑几分钟的话。
And then I cast upriver.
cast: 扔;投 upriver: 上游区域
然后我往上游抛杆,
The Beast jumped up and grabbed it before it even hit the water.
grab: 夺走 hit: 碰撞
大怪鱼跃出水面,在它落水之前就一口吞了它,
And just as fast, he snapped clean through that line.
snap: 猛咬
一瞬间,他就咬断那条钓线。
Well, you can see my predicament.
predicament: 窘况,困境
这下我苦恼了,
My wedding ring, the symbol of fidelity to my wife...
fideli
ty: 忠诚
我的婚戒,我对妻子忠贞的象征…
soon to be mother of my child...
而她也即将是孩子的妈了……
-Son: Make him stop.
叫他别说了。
was now lost in the gut of an uncatchable fish.
gut: [口语]肚子,腹部
那象征被怪鱼吞入腹中。
-Woman: What did you do?
你怎么办?
-Edward: I followed that fish upriver and downriver.
我沿河来回地追着那条鱼,
This fish, The Beast...
这条鱼,这条大怪鱼…
The whole time we were calling it a him, when in fact it was a her.
我们一直认为他是个"他" ,结果他其实是个"她"!
It was fat with eggs it was gonna lay any day.
lay: 产卵
她当时肚里都是蛋,随时都会生。
Now, I was in a situation.
我面临了一个难题,
I could gut that fish and get my wedding ring back...
我可以剖开鱼腹拿回我的婚戒…
but in doing so I'd be killing the smartest catfish in the Ashton River.
但这么做,我就杀了Ashton河里最精明的一条鱼。
Did I want to deprive my son the chance to catch a fish like this of his own?
deprive: 剥夺
我真的要剥夺我儿子亲手逮到此鱼的机会吗?
This ladyfish and I...
我跟这条怪鱼…
Well, We had The same destiny.
Destiny: 命运
我跟他有相同的命运
Now, you may well ask...
你现在会想问…
-Mother: Oh, darling, darling, it's still your night.
儿子,你仍然是今天的主角啊
-Edward: why did it strike so quick on gold when nothing else would attract it?
Strike: 吸引 attract: 吸引
为何什么东西都吸引不了他,他却吞了金子?
That was the lesson I learned that day the day my son was born.
就在我儿子诞生的那天,我学到了这一课,
Sometimes the only way to catch an uncatchable woman is to offer her a wedding ring.
uncatchable: 无法抓到
要套住一个无法捉摸的女人,最好的办法就是帮她套上一只婚戒。
What, a father's not allowed to talk about his son?
做父亲的不能谈谈他的儿子?
-Son: I'm a footnote in that story, Dad...
footnote: 脚注
爸,我只是故事里的小注脚…
the context for your great adventure, which never happened, incidentally.
context: 上下文;语境 adventure: 冒险 incidentally: 附带说说
你全在讲你的冒险故事,大多都是杜撰的。
You were selling novelty products in Wichita when I was born.
Novelty: 新颖
我出生时你正在Wichita推销玩具。
-Edward: Come on, Will. Everyone loves that story!
拜托,大家都喜欢那个故事!
-Son: They don't. I don't love that story. Not anymore. Not after a thousand times!
才不,我不喜欢那个故事,我听过一千次了!
I know every punch line, Dad. I can tell them as well as you can!
punch line: [美国英语](小说、戏剧等中的)警句,妙语
我能倒背如流,说的跟你一样好!
For one night, one night in your entire life...
你这辈子就这一个晚上…
you.
我跟你一起去。
-Son: No, no, no. You shouldn't.
不,你不该去的。
-Wife: I'm going with you.
我跟你一起去。
-Edward: Now, which one's it gonna be?
你要听什么?
Monkey in a Barn, or "Dog in the Road"?
barn: 谷仓
骗人的猴子还是"挡路的狗"?
-Son: The one about the witch.
witch: 女巫
那个女巫,
The one about the witch.
那个女巫。
-Edward: The one about the witch.
那个女巫
Your momma says I can't tell you that one anymore.
你妈不准我再跟你说那个故事,
You get nightmares.
nightmare: 噩梦
你会作噩梦。
-Son: But I'm not scared.
scared: 害怕的
但我不怕啊!
-Edward: Well, neither was I, at first.
一开始…我也不怕
Now, this took place in the swamp outside of Ashton.
swamp: 沼泽
这发生在Ashton镇郊外的沼泽里,
Children weren't allowed in the swamp on account of the snakes, spiders...
snake: 蛇 spider: 蜘蛛
小孩子都不准到那,那里有毒蛇有蜘蛛…
...and quicksand that would swallow you up before you could even scream.
quicksand: 流沙 swallow: 吞掉 scream: 喊叫
和转眼之间就会把人吞掉的流沙,
There were five of us out there that night:
我们有5个人:
Me, Ruthie, Wilbur Freely...
我、Ruthie、Wilbur Freely……
...and the Price Brothers, Don and Zacky.
还有Price兄弟,Don和Zacky,
And not one of us knew what was in store.
我们都不知道会发生什么事
It's common knowledge that most towns of a certain size have a witch...
common knowledge: 常识
大家都知道城镇大多都有女巫…
...if only to eat misbehaving children...
misbehave: 行为不端
她们专吃坏小孩…
...and the occasional puppy who wanders into her yard.
occasional: 偶然的 yard: 院子
还有不小心闯进去的小狗,
Witches use those bones to cast spells and curses...
spell: 咒语 curse: 诅咒
女巫用吃剩的骨头作法、诅咒…
...and make the land infertile.
infertile: 贫瘠
让土地贫瘠。
-Children A: Is it true she got a glass eye?
她真的有玻璃眼珠?
-Children B: I heard she got it from gypsies.
gypsy:吉普赛人
听说还是吉普赛人给她的,
-Children C: What’s a gypsy?
吉普赛人是什么?
-Children D: Your momma's a gypsy.
你妈就是。
-Children C: Your momma's a bitch.
你妈是个歹查某。
-Children E: You shouldn't swear. There's ladies present.
别乱骂人,这里有女生。
-Children C: Shit.
狗屎!
-Children D: Damn.
去死!
-Children C: Screw.
靠!
-Children B:Turn off your flashlights. She'll see you!
flashlight: 手电筒
快关掉手电筒,她会看到的!
-Edward: Yet of all the witches in Alabama...
然而Alabama所有的女巫之中…
...there was one who was said to be the most feared.
fear: 害怕;恐惧
有一位是最令人害怕的
For she had one glass eye which was said to contain mystical powers.
mystical: 神
你想的话,可以弄好它。
-Son: Yeah, I Will.
好,我会。
-Edward: You know where The chemicals are?
chemicals: 化学产品
你知道清洁剂放哪?
-Son: I did It when You were gone
知道,你不在家时都是我清的。
-Edward: I was never much for being at home, Will. Too confining.
confine: 限制
我一直都不喜欢待家里,太拘束了。
And this here, being stuck in bed...
stick: 粘住
这样被困在床上…
Dying is the worst thing that's ever happened to me.
死亡是我遇上最糟糕的事
-Son: I thought you said you weren't dying.
你不是说你不会死。
-Edward: I said this isn't how I go.
我是说我不是这样死的,
The last part is much more unusual.
我最后的旅程更特别,
Trust me on that.
相信我。
-Son: Dr. Bennett said I have to stay at home for a week.
Bennett医生说我得整周待在家里。
-Edward: Oh, that's nothing. Once, I had to stay in bed for three years.
那没什么,我曾卧床3年。
-Son: did You have The chickenpox?
Chickenpox: 水痘
你也得了水痘?
-Edward: I wish.
我真希望是
Truth is, no one quite knew what was wrong.
没有人清楚这是怎么回事。
Most times a person grows up gradually...
gradually: 渐渐地
大部分的人都是逐渐长大的…
...while I found myself in a hurry.
hurry: 匆忙
我却发现我长的超快。
My muscles and my bones couldn't keep up with my body's ambition.
muscle: 肌肉 ambition: 野心
我的肌肉和骨头跟不上我的野心
So I spent the better part of three years confined to my bed...
我花了3年时间待在床上…
...with the encyclopedia being my only means of exploration.
encyclopedia: 百科全书 means: 方式 exploration: 探索
只能探索百科全书的浩瀚学海。
I had made it all the way to the G's...
我读到G开头的部份…
...hoping to find an answer to my "gigantificationism"...
gigantificationism: 巨大化
希望能在关于金鱼的文章里…
...when I uncovered an article about the common goldfish.
uncovered: 揭露
找到我巨大化的解答。
"Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small.
养在小鱼缸里金鱼就会一直维持他的大小…
It occurred to me then that perhaps the reason for my growth...
occur: 发生
于是我想到我成长的原因…
...was that I was intended for larger things.
intend: 打算
就是我打算追求大世界
After all, a giant man can't have an ordinary-sized life.
giant: 巨大的 ordinary-size: 一般尺寸
巨人无法是过一般生活的
As soon as my bones had settled in their adult configuration...
adult: 成人 configuration: 形状
一旦我的骨头成长固定后…
...I set upon my plan to make a bigger place for myself in Ashton.
我就着手为自己开创更大的空间
-cheering squad: Tigers, go!
猛虎队,加油!
Edward Bloom!
Edward Bloom!
-Children: Doggy! My doggy! My doggy's trapped!
trap: 使…
我不想吃你我不想吃任何人
I just get so hungry. I'm just too big.
我只是很饿,我太高大了
-Edward: Did you ever think that maybe you're not too big...
你有没有想过不是你太高大…
...but maybe this town is just too small?
而是这个镇太小了?
I've heard in real cities there are buildings so tall...
我听说真正的城市里有大楼…
...you can't even see the tops of them.
你连楼顶都看不到
-Karl: Really?
真的?
-Edward: Oh, I wouldn't lie to you.
我不会骗你的
And all-you-can-eat buffets.
all-you-can-eat: 让你吃到饱 buffet: 自助餐
还有"随你吃到饱"
Now, you can eat a lot, can't you?
你可以吃很多吧?
-Karl: I can.
我可以
-Edward: So why are you wasting your time in a small town?
waste: 浪费
那你干嘛浪费时间待在小镇里?
You're a big man. You should be in a big city.
大人物就该去大城市
-Karl: You're just trying to get me to leave, aren't you?
你只是想要我走,对吧?
-Edward: What's your name, giant?
巨人,你叫什么名字?
-Karl: Karl.
Karl。
-Edward: Well, mine's Edward. And truthfully...
我叫Edward,说真的…
Well, I do want you to leave, Karl. But I want to leave with you.
我的确想要你离开Karl,但我想跟你一起离开
I mean, you think this town is too small for you?
这里太小容不下你
Well, it's too small for a man of my ambition.
这里容不下我的雄心壮志。
So, what do you say? Join me?
怎么样?跟我一起走吧?
-Karl: Okay.
好。
-Edward: Okay.
好
Now, first, we gotta get you ready for the city.
首先,我们得帮你打理一下
-Mayor: Edward Bloom, first son of Ashton...
Edward Bloom,Ashton镇之子…
...it's with a heavy heart that we see you go.
你的离去令我们惆怅
But take with you this key to the city...
带着这把钥匙上城市里去…
...and know that any time you want to come back...
任何时候你若想回来…
...all our doors are open to you.
我们的大门都将为你敞开
-Edward: That afternoon as I left Ashton, everyone seemed to have advice.
我离开Ashton镇的那天下午每个人都给了我忠告。
-Woman: Find yourself a nice girl, now!
找个好女孩吧!
-Man: Watch your pride, Edward Bloom!
pride: 自尊心
别太骄傲了,Edward Bloom!
-Edward: But there was one person whose counsel I held above all others.
counsel: 忠告
但是有个人说的话我很重视
She said that the biggest fish in the river...
她说河里最大尾的鱼…
...gets that way by never being caught.
永远不会被人捉到
-Karl: What'd she say?
她说什么?
-Edward: Beats me.
beat: [口语]使困惑,
难倒我了。
There were two roads out of Ashton:
出Ashton镇有两条路:
A new one which was paved and an older one that wasn't.
pave: 铺设
一条是新铺好的,旧的则没铺
People didn't use the old one anymore...
人
们不走那条旧路…
...and it had developed a reputation for being haunted.
develop: 发展 reputation: 名声 haunt: (鬼魂等)常常出没于
还传说那条旧路闹鬼
Well, since I had no intention of ever returning to Ashton...
intention: 意图
由于我无意回Ashton镇…
...this seemed as good a time as any to find out what lay down that old one.
这看来是探究旧路的好时机
-Karl: You know anyone who's taken it?
你有认识走旧路的人吗?
-Edward: That poet, Norther Winslow, did.
诗人Norther Winslow走过。
He was going to Paris, France.
他那时要去法国,巴黎。
I guess he liked it. No one ever heard from him again.
我想他喜欢那里,他流连忘返
I'll tell you what. You go the other way.
这样吧,你走另一条路
I'll cut through here, and I'll meet you on the far side.
我走这条,我们在另一头会合
-Karl: You're just trying to run away, aren't you?
你是想落跑吧?
-Edward: Here.
拿去
Just to be sure, you can take my pack.
为了保险起见,拿着我的包包。
Why, you son of a...
你这个…
Now, there comes a point when a reasonable man...
reasonable: 有理性的
懂道里的人…
...will swallow his pride and admit that he's made a terrible mistake.
swallow: 收回
终会有按下自尊坦承他犯下严重错误的时刻。
The truth is, I was never a reasonable man.
事实是,我一直都不是讲道理的人。
And what I recall of Sunday school was that...
我记得主日学都这么讲…
...the more difficult something is, the more rewarding it is in the end.
rewarding: 有报酬的
事情愈艰难,最后愈能得到丰厚的果实。
-Man: Friend! Welcome to you!
朋友!欢迎你!
What's your name?
你叫什么名字?
-Edward: Edward Bloom.
Edward Bloom。
-Man: "Bloom" like a flower?
形容花开的Bloom?
-Edward: Yes.
对。
-Man: Oh, here! Here you are, right here. "Edward Bloom."
在这里," Edward Bloom "
We weren't expecting you yet.
我们还没开始等你
-Edward: You were expecting me?
你们在等我?
-Man: Not yet.
还没
-woman: You must've taken a shortcut.
shortcut: 捷径
你一定是抄了捷径。
-Edward: Why, yes, I did. It almost killed me.
对,害我差点送命。
-Man: Life will do that to you. And truthfully, the long way is easier.
生命就是这样,说真的,走远路比较简单。
But it's longer.
但那比较长
-Woman: Much longer.
长很多。
-Man: And you're here now, and that's what matters.
你来了,这比较重要。
-Edward: What is this place?
这是哪里?
-Man: The town of Spectre. Best-kept secret in Alabama!
Spectre镇,Alabama最神秘的地方!
Now, it says here you're from Ashton, right?
这上面说你是从Ashton镇来的
Last person we had from Ashton was Norther Winslow.
上一个从Ashton镇来的是Norther Winslow。
-Edward: The poet? Whatever happened to him?
poet: 诗
那乌鸦又出现在我梦里…
...and said, "Your daddy's gonna die."
他说:"你爸快死了"
I didn't know what to do.
我不知道该怎么办
I finally told my father, but he said:
最后我告诉我爸,他说:
Oh, not to worry. But I could see he was rattled.
rattle: 使惊慌
不用担心但我看得出他惊惶失措。
The next morning, he wasn't himself.
第二天早上,他完全变了个人
Kept looking around, waiting for something to drop on his head.
drop: 下降
他老是四处张望等着有东西砸向他的脑门
Because the crow didn't say how it was gonna happen, just those words:
因为那只乌鸦没说他会怎么死只说了那句话:
Your daddy's gonna die.
你爸快死了。
Well, he left home early and was gone a long time.
他早早就出门,出去了很久一段时间
When he finally came back, he looked terrible...
等他回来之后,样子狼狈至极…
...like he was waiting for the ax to fall all day.
ax: 斧头
好像他整天都在等斧头砍向他
He said to my mother:
他跟我妈说:
I've just had the worst day of my life.
"我刚过了这辈子最糟的一天"
You think you've had a bad day? She said.
我妈说:"你以为你过的很糟?"
This morning, the milkman dropped dead on the porch.
milkman: 卖(或送)牛奶的人 drop dead: 倒毙 porch: 门廊
今天早上,送牛奶的在门口暴毙了。
Because, see, my mother was banging the milkman.
bang: [粗俗语](尤指精力旺盛地)和…性交
懂吧,我妈跟送牛奶的有一腿。
-Josephine: Can I take your picture?
我能拍张你的照片吗?
-Edward: Oh, you don't need a picture.
你不需要照片的
Just look up the word "handsome" in the dictionary.
到辞典里查"英俊"这个辞就行了
-Josephine: Please?
拜托嘛。
-Edward: All right.
好吧。
-Josephine: I have photos of the wedding to show you.
我有婚礼的照片要给你看,
There is a great one of you and my father.
你跟我父亲有张合照很棒
I want to see pictures of your wedding. I've never seen any.
我想看你婚礼的照片,我没看过
-Edward: That's because we didn't have a proper wedding.
proper: 合乎体统的;体面的
那是因为我没办正式的婚礼。
Your mother-in-law was never supposed to marry me.
你婆婆本来不该嫁给我
she was engaged to somebody else.
engage: 订婚
她本来跟别人已有婚约。
-Josephine: I never knew.
我从来都不知道。
-Edward: Will never told you?
Will没跟你说过?
Probably just as well.
那样也许比较好
He would have told it wrong, anyway.
他的说法可能不好
All the facts, none of the flavor.
flavor: 滋味;香料
全都是事实,没有加油添醋
-Josephine: Oh. So this is a tall tale.
tall: 夸大的
所以这是个夸张的故事啰!
-Edward: Well, it's not a short one.
这故事可不短。
I'd just left Spectre and was on my way to discover my destiny.
我
当时刚离开Spectre镇,正要探索我的命运。
Not knowing what that would be exactly...
不知前方会有什么,说真的…
...I explored every opportunity that presented itself.
opportunity: 机会
但我把握每一个机会去探索。
-Mr. Calloway: Ladies and gentlemen!
各位女士先生!
You may think you've seen the unusual.
你也许自以为看过不凡之事
You may think you've seen the bizarre.
Bizarre: 稀奇古怪的;奇形怪状的
你也许自以为看过特异之人,
But I've traveled to the five corners of the world...
corner: 角落
但我曾走遍天涯探访世界的五个角落…
...and let me tell you, I've never seen anything like this!
让我告诉你们我从未看过这样的东西
When I met this man...
我遇到这个人的时候…
...he was picking oranges in Florida.
他正在Florida采收橘子
His fellow workers called him El Penumbra. "The Shadow."
Penumbra: [天]半影 shadow: 阴影
他的同事称他为半屏山 "暗影"
Because when you worked beside him...
因为当你在他身旁工作时…
...he blocked out the daylight!
block: 阻塞;阻止;
他会挡住所有的光线!
Not to alarm you, ma'am, but if this man wanted to...
alarm: 警告;使惊恐
我不想让你担忧,小姐但如果这个人想的话…
...he could crush your head between his toes...
toe: 脚趾;足尖
他用两只手指就能捏碎你的头…
...like a tiny walnut. But he won't do it.
walnut: 胡桃木;胡桃
就像压碎核桃一样但他不会这么做
No. No, ladies and gentlemen...
不,各位女士先生…
...he will not hurt her...
他不会伤害她…
...because he is our own gentle giant.
因为他是我们温柔的巨人
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Colossus!
colossus: 巨人
各位女士先生让我为您介绍大巨人
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...
各位女士先生、大人小孩…
...thank y'all for coming.
谢谢你们的光临
Drive home safely, everyone. Thank you for coming.
大家平安返家,谢谢光临
It was on that night Karl met his destiny.
就在Karl遇上他命运女神的那晚,
And I met mine, almost.
我也遇上了我的,就差一点。
They say when you meet the love of your life, time stops.
人们说当你遇上你的挚爱时间会暂停
And that's true.
那是真的
What they don't tell you is that once time starts again...
但人们没有告诉你当时间再度恢复转动…
...it moves extra fast to catch up.
它会无比飞快,让人无法赶上
-Mr. Calloway: What's your name?
你叫什么名字?
-Karl: It's Karl.
Karl
-Mr. Calloway: Karl.
Karl
Tell me, Karl, have you ever heard the term "involuntary servitude"?
involuntary: 非出自本意的 servitude: 劳役,奴役;
告诉我,你听说过… "非自愿性奴役"吗?
-Karl: No.
没
-Mr. Calloway: "Unconscionable contract"?
unconscionable: 昧着良心的;肆无忌惮的 contract:
合同;合约
"不公平契约"?
-Karl: Nope.
没。
-Mr. Calloway: Great.
好极了
Here you go.
拿去
Here you are.
拿去
Mr. Soggybottom, come down this here...
soggy: 浸水的;透湿的 bottom: 臀部
Soggybottom先生,靠过来…
...so he can use your back to sign on it.
让他靠在你背上签名
Okay. Thank you. Yeah.
很好,谢谢
Hey, kid.
小子
Your friend just made himself a star.
你朋友刚刚成了巨星
-Edward: Oh, that's great.
太好了。
-Mr. Calloway: my attorney, Mr. Soggybottom.
Attorney: 代理人;律师
我的律师,Soggybottom先生。
-Edward: Good to meet You.
幸会
-Mr. Soggybottom: Pleased to meet you.
幸会。
-Mr. Calloway: What's the matter? I haven't seen a customer so depressed...
customer: 顾客 depress: 使沮丧
怎么了,孩子?自从上次大象坐扁一个农妇后…
...since the elephant sat on that farmer's wife.
我就没看过有这么消沉的客人
Depressed?
消沉?
See? The big guy likes it.
看吧?这个大家伙听的懂
-Edward: I just saw the woman I'm gonna marry.
我刚看到我要厮守终身的女人
I know it. But I lost her.
我很明白,但我却失去了她
-Mr. Calloway: Oh, tough break.
tough break: 走霉运;运气不佳的 tough: 艰苦的,困难的
真糟糕,
Well, most men have to get married before they lose their wives.
多数人都是先结婚才失去老婆的
-Edward: I'm gonna spend the rest of my life looking for her. That or die alone.
我将以余生找寻她的芳踪或者,孤独的死去
-Mr. Calloway: Damn, kid.
哇咧,小子,
Let me guess. Real pretty?
让我猜猜看是个美女?
Reddish-blondish hair?
reddish: 微红的 blondish: 稍呈金黄色的
一头微红的金发?
Blue dress?
穿蓝色洋装?
-Edward: Yeah!
对!
-Mr. Calloway: I know her uncle. Friends of the family.
我认得她叔叔,家族的朋友
-Edward: Who is she? Where does she live?
她是谁?她住哪里?
-Mr. Calloway: Forget it. Don't waste your time. She's out of your league.
league: [口语]与某人同一类型
算了吧,她不是你追得起的
-Edward: What? You don't even know me.
你根本不认识我
-Mr. Calloway: Sure I do.
当然认识。
You were hot shit back in Hickville, but here in the real world, you got squat.
hot shit: [美国俚语、粗俗语] 了不起的人 squat: [俚语]什么也没有
你是乡下来的大人物,但在真实世界里,你啥都不是
You don't have a plan or a job.
你没计划、没工作,
Nothing except the clothes on your back.
你除了身上穿的衣服外啥都没有
-Edward: Well, I have a whole backpack full of clothes.
我有一整个背包的衣服
Oh, someone stole my backpack.
有人偷了我的背包
-Mr. Calloway: You were a big fish in a small pond, but this here is the ocean...
pond: 池塘
你原本是小池子里的大鱼但这里是海洋…
...and you're drowning. G
住
结果吸引了一堆苍蝇,全都黏住了…
...and flew off with the whole car.
fly off with: 与(某人、某物)一起飞走
结果他们带着整台车飞走了。
-Edward: But the real story is how I got the car.
但那辆车的来头可厉害了
You see...
你看…
-Son: Dad?
爸?
-Edward: Son.
儿子。
-Son: Can we talk?
我们能谈谈吗?
-Mom: I think I'll get started on these dishes.
get start on: 开始 dish: 菜肴,餐具
我去洗碗。
-Wife: I'll help you.
我帮你。
-Son: You know about icebergs, Dad?
iceberg: 冰山
爸,你知道冰山吗?
-Edward: Do I? I saw an iceberg once.
知道?我就看过一次。
They were hauling it down to Texas for drinking water.
haul: 拖,拉 Texas: 德克萨斯州 drinking water: 饮用水
它被拉到德州当饮用水源。
They didn't count on there being an elephant frozen inside.
count on: 依靠,指望 frozen: 冻结的
却没想到里面有只大象。
The woolly kind. A mammoth.
woolly: 羊毛的 mammoth: 长毛象
毛茸茸的那种,长毛象。
-Son: Dad!
爸!
-Edward: What?
怎么?
-Son: I'm trying to make a metaphor here.
metaphor: 比喻
我只是想打个比方。
-Edward: Well, you shouldn't have started with a question...
那你就不该用问句开头…
...because people want to answer questions.
人遇到问题就会回答。
You should've started with, "The thing about icebergs is..."
should have done: 本应当做某事
你该说:"关于冰山…"
-Son: Okay, okay. The thing about icebergs is you only see 10 percent.
好吧,好吧。关于冰山,你只看得到10%…
The other 90 percent is below the water where you can't see it.
其他90%都隐藏在水下
And that's... what it is with you, Dad. I am only seeing this little bit... that sticks above the water.
little bit: 一点点 stick: 树枝
而你…你就是这样。我只看得到…浮出水面的那一小部份。
-Edward: Oh, you're only seeing down to my nose? My chin? My...
down to: 下至 chin: 下巴
你只看得到我的鼻子、下巴?
-Son: Dad, I have no idea who you are...because you've never told me a single fact.
have no idea: 不知道
爸,我不知道你是谁…因为你从未告诉我实话。
-Edward: I've told you a thousand facts, Will. That's what I do, I tell stories!
我跟你讲过的可多了。我就是这样,我讲故事!
-Son: You tell... lies, Dad. You tell amusing lies.
tell a lie: 撒谎 amusing: 有趣的,引人发笑的
你讲的…是谎言。有趣的谎言。
Stories are what you tell a 5-year-old at bedtime.
bedtime: 就寝时间
故事是拿来哄5岁小孩的。
They're not elaborate mythologies that you maintain... when your son is 10 and 15 and 20 and 30.
mythology: 神话 maintain: 维持,保持
不是你儿子已经2、30岁了,还继续编造的神话。
And I believed you.
我相信过你。
I believed your stories so much longer than I sho
prospects few...
prospect: 前途
由于我的机会不多…
...I took a job as a traveling salesman. It suited me.
salesman: 推销员 suit: 适合
我成了推销员,这很适合我。
If there was one thing you can say about Edward Bloom...
要说Edward Bloom有啥特质…
...it's that I am a social person.
social person: 善于交际的人
就是我是个善于交际的人。
-Boss: Congratulations.
恭喜了。
-Edward: Thank You, sir.
谢谢。
I could be gone for weeks at a time.
at a time: 每次
我可能一离家就是一周。
But every other Friday, I put all the money I made... into an account set aside for a proper house...
account: 账户 set aside for: 留出(时间、金钱等)
但每半个月,我就会把我赚的钱…全存入银行…
...with a white picket fence.
picket fence: 尖桩篱栅 fence: 栅栏
只为买栋有白色离笆的房子。
I'd like a moment of your time to tell you about my new product... the Handi-matic.
moment: 瞬间 product: 产品
各位,请看我的新产品…魔奇手。
A few years later, I added other products and other cities...
add: 增加
几年后,我多加了一些商品…
...until my territory stretched from the coast to western Texas.
territory: 领域 stretch: 伸展 coast: 海岸
从沿岸拓展业务到德州西部。
-Norther: Edward?
Edward?
Edward Bloom!
Edward Bloom!
It's me, Norther Winslow.
是我,Norther Winslow。
-Edward: I don't believe it.
我真不敢相信。
I was astonished to see the greatest poet of both Ashton and Spectre...all the way out in Texas.
astonished: 吃惊的 poet: 诗人
我很讶异竟然会在德州看到…名满Ashton和Spectre的诗人。
-Norther: I want you to know, when you left Spectre, it opened my eyes.
你离开Spectre时,开启了我的视野。
There was a whole life out there that I was not living.
我的阅历根本还不够广阔。
So I traveled.
所以我四处游历
I saw France, Africa, half of South America.
我到过法国、非洲、南美
Every day, a new adventure. That's my motto.
adventure: 冒险 motto: 座右铭,格言,箴言
我的格言是 "每天都是全新的冒险"。
-Edward: That's great, Norther. I'm happy for you.
太好了,诺德。我为你感到高兴。
What are you doing now?
你在这干嘛?
-Norther: I'm robbing this place.
rob: 抢劫
我要抢劫这里。
All right, everybody down!
大家趴下!
Hey! Just slide that over.
slide: 滑过来
把枪传过来。
Would you mind grabbing that?
mind: 介意 grab: 抓
你能拿吗?
-Edward: What?
什么?
-Norther: The gun.
枪。
I'm gonna be cleaning out the cash drawers...
gonna: going to 将要 clean out: 清空 cash: 现金 drawer: 橱柜,抽屉
我要柜台所有的现金…
...and my associate here is gonna handle the vault.
associate: 伙伴 handle: 处理 vault: 金库
我的伙伴则要清空金库。
All right, you! You help my friend, ok