十四行诗1
巡山小妖精
914次浏览
2020年07月31日 01:59
最佳经验
本文由作者推荐
firt-拘留的拼音
---女诗人Elizabeth Barrett Browning小传
Elizabeth Browning是十九世纪英国著名女诗人,生于1806年3月6日。十五岁时,不幸骑马跌损了脊椎。从此,下肢瘫痪达24年。在她39岁那年,结识了小她6岁的诗人Robert Browning。她那充满着哀怨的生命从此打开了新的一章。她本来是一个残废的病人,生命,只剩下一长串没有欢乐的日子;青春,在生与死的边缘上黯然消逝。如今,在迟暮的岁月里赶上了早年的爱情。然而,她只能流着泪,用无情的沉默来回答一声声爱情的呼唤。但是,爱情战胜了死亡,从死亡的阴影里救出了一个已经放弃了生命的人。就象神话中的英雄在悬崖边救出了被供奉给海怪的公主,替公主打开了裹在她周身的铁链;她那不知疲倦的情人也帮着她摆脱了她的惊慌、她的疑虑、她的哀怨,扶着她一步步来到了阳光底下。她动荡不安的感情逐渐变得稳定了;她对于人生开始有了信心,产生了眷恋。未来的幸福,不再是一团强烈的幻光,叫她不敢逼视,不敢伸出手去碰一下了。她敢于拿爱情来报答爱情了。
这份爱情使她奇迹般地重新站了起来。在病室中被禁锢了24年之后,她终于可以凭自己的双脚重新走到阳光下了。
白朗宁夫妇一起度过了15年幸福的生活,在这15年中,从不知道有一天的分离。1861年6月29日,白朗宁夫人永别了她的Robert。临终之前,她并没多大病疼,也没有预感,只是觉得倦;那是一个晚上,她正和白朗宁商量消夏的计划。她和他谈心说笑,用最温存的话表示她的爱情;后来她感到倦,就偎依在白朗宁的胸前睡去了。她这样地睡了几分钟,头突然垂了下来;他以为她是一时昏晕,但是她去了,再不回来了。她在他的怀抱中瞑了目。她的容貌,象少女一般,微笑,快乐。
这部感人的诗集就是他们爱情生活的真实写照。它是英国文学史上的珍品之一。其美丽动人,甚至超过莎士比亚的十四行诗集。有多人译过这本诗集,如闻一多,查良铮(金庸)等。但我认为方平译得最好,令人爱不释手。这里Post的就是方平译本。白朗宁夫人最初开始写这十四行组诗大概是在她答应了白朗宁的求婚以后那一段时期。直到他们婚后住到了比萨,白朗宁才读到这本诗集。他不敢把这文学上的无价之宝留给他一个人享受。1850年白朗宁夫人出版了一卷诗集,把这组十四行诗也收进在内,共四十四首,还取了一个总名,叫做《葡萄牙人十四行诗集》,用以掩饰作者身分,因白朗宁夫人不愿意把个人情诗发表今将这本诗集奉献给大家,希望大家会喜欢。
晓拂
Footnote:
In the 1850-Poems-there are 43 (fourty three) sonnets.
The sonn
turn
请看呀,有多大一堆悲哀埋藏在
The ashes at thy feet. Behold and see
我这心坎里;而在那灰暗的深处,
What a great heap of grief lay [1] hid in me,
那惨红的灰烬又怎样在隐约燃烧。
And how the red wild sparkles dimly burn
要是那点点火星给你鄙夷地
Through the ashen greyness. If thy foot in scorn
一脚踏灭、还它们一片黑暗,
Could tread them out to darkness utterly,
这样也好。可是,你偏不,
It might be well perhaps. But if instead
你要守在我身旁,等风来把尘土
Thou wait beside me for the wind to blow
扬起,把死灰吹活;爱呀,那戴在
The grey dust up, ... those laurels on thine head,
你头上的桂冠可不能给你做屏障,
O my Beloved, will not shield thee so,
保护你不让这一片火焰烧坏了
That none of all the fires shall scorch and shred
那底下的发丝。快站远些呀,快走!
The hair beneath. Stand further off then! go.
[1] hid = hidden
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第六首
Go from me. Yet I feel that I shall stand
舍下我,走吧。可是我觉得,从此
Henceforward in thy shadow Nevermore.
我就一直徘徊在你的身影里。
Alone upon the threshold of my door
在那孤独的生命的边缘,从今再不能
Of individual life, I shall command
掌握自己的心灵,或是坦然地
The uses of my soul, nor lift my hand
把这手伸向日光,象从前那样,
Serenely in the sunshine as before,
而能约束自己不感到你的指尖
Without the sense of that which I forbore --
碰上我的掌心。劫运教天悬地殊
Thy touch upon the palm. The widest land
隔离了我们,却留下了你那颗心,
Doom takes to part us, leaves thy heart in mine
在我的心房里搏动着双重声响。
With pulses that beat double. What I do
正象是酒,总尝得出原来的葡萄,
And what I dream include thee, as the wine
我的起居和梦寐里,都有你的份。
Must taste of its own grapes. And when I sue
当我向上帝祈祷,为着我自个儿
God for myself, He hears the name of thine,
他却听到了一个名字、那是你的;
And sees within my eyes the tears of two.
又在我眼里,看见有两个人的眼泪。
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第七首
The face of all the world is changed, I think,
全世界的面目,我想,忽然改变了,
Since first I heard of the footsteps of thy soul
自从我第一次在心灵上听到你的步子
Move still, oh, still, beside me, as they stole
轻轻、轻轻,来到我身旁--穿过我和
betwixt me and the dreadful outer brink
死亡的边缘:那幽微的间隙。站在
Of obvious death, where I, who thought to sink,
那里的我,只道这一回该倒下了,
Was caught up into love, and taught the whole
却不料被爱救起,还教给一曲
Of life in a new rhythm. The cup of dole
生命的新歌。上帝赐我洗礼的
God ga
ve for baptism, I am fain to drink,
那一杯苦酒,我甘愿饮下,赞美它
And praise its sweetness, Sweet, with thee anear.
甜蜜--甜蜜的,如果有你在我身旁。
The names of a country, heaven, are changed away
天国和人间,将因为你的存在
For where thou art or shalt be, there or here;
而更改模样;而这曲歌,这支笛,
And this ... this lute and song ... loved yesterday
昨日里给爱着,还让人感到亲切,
( The singing angels know ) are only dear
那歌唱的天使知道,就因为
Because thy name moves right in what they say.
一声声都有你的名字在荡漾。
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第八首
你那样慷慨豪爽的施主呀,你把
What can I give thee back, O liberal
你心坎里金碧辉煌的宝藏、
And Princely giver, who hast brought the gold
原封地掏出来,只往我墙外推,
And purple of thine heart, unstained, untold,
任凭象我这样的人去拣起,还是
And laid them on the outside of the wall
把这罕见的舍施丢下;教我拿什么
For such as I to take or leave withal, [1]
来作为你应得的报答?请不要
In unexpected largesse? am I cold,
说我太冷漠、太寡恩,你那许多
Ungrateful, that for these most manifold
重重叠叠的深情厚意,我却
High gifts, I render nothing back at all?
没有一些儿回敬;不,并不是
Not so; not cold, -- but very poor instead.
冷漠无情,实在我太寒伧。你问
Ask God who knows. For frequent tears have run
上帝就明白。那连绵的泪雨冲尽了
The colours from my life, and left so dead
我生命的光彩,只剩一片死沉沉的
And pale a stuff, it were not fitly done
苍白,不配给你当偎依的枕头。
To give the same as pillow to thy head.
走吧!尽把它踏在脚下,作垫石。
Go further! let it serve to trample on.
[1] withal, Original meaning is ‘likewise’, or ‘at the same time’.
Here it means ‘equally’, ‘with free choice’.
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第九首
我能不能有什么、就拿什么给你?
Can it be right to give what I can give?
该不该让你紧挨著我,承受
To let thee sit beneath the fall of tears
我簌簌的苦泪;听著那伤逝的青春,
As salt as mine, and hear the sighing years
在我的唇边重复著叹息,偶而
Re-sighing on my lips renunciative
浮起一丝微笑,哪怕你连劝带哄,
Through those infrequent smiles which fail to live
也随即在叹息里寂灭?啊,我但怕
For all thy adjurations? O my fears,
这并不应该!我俩是不相称的
That this can scarce be right! We are not peers
一对,哪能匹配作情侣?我承认,
So to be lovers; and I own, and grieve,
我也伤心,象我这样的施主
That givers of such gifts as mine are, must
只算得鄙吝。唉,可是我怎能够让
Be counted with the ungenerous. Out, alas!
我满身的尘土玷污
If thou must love me, let it be for nought
只是为了爱才爱我。别这么讲:
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
“我爱她,为了她的一笑,她的模样,
`I love her for her smile ... her look ... her way
她柔语的声气;为了她这感触
Of speaking gently, ... for a trick of thought
正好合我的心意,那天里,的确
That falls in well with mine, and certes brought [certes: certainly]
给我带来满怀的喜悦和舒畅。”
A sense of pleasant ease on such a day' --
亲爱的,这些好处都不能持常,
For these things in themselves, Belov`ed, may
会因你而变,而这样唱出的爱曲
Be changed, or change for thee, -- and love, so wrought [wrought: worked]
也将这样哑寂。也别爱我因为你
May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
又怜又惜地给我揩干了泪腮,
Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheeks dry, --
一个人会忘了哭泣,当她久受你
A creature might forget to weep, who bore
温柔的慰安--却因此失了你的爱。
Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!
爱我,请只是为了那爱的意念,
But love for love's sake, that evermore
那你就能继续地爱,爱我如深海。
Thou may'st love on, through love's eternity.
Footnote:
This sonnet is little more than a copy of the following poem
which some two and a half centuries earlier.
Love not me for comely grace,
For my pleasing eye or face,
Nor for any outward part,
No, nor for my constant heart, --
For those may fail, or turn to ill,
So thou and I shall sever:
Keep therefore a true woman's eye,
And love me still, but know not why --
So hast thou the same reason still
To doat upon me ever!
ANON.
Source: The Golden Treasury of The Best Songs and Lyrical Poems
In The English Language, Oxford University Press, 1929.
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第十五首
EBB "The sonnets from the Portuguese", No. XV
请不要这样指责我:我在你面前
Accuse me not, beseech thee, that I wear
露出一副太冷静、忧郁的面容;
Too calm and sad a face in front of thine;
你我原是面朝着两个不同的方向,
For we too look two ways, and can not shine
那普照的阳光照不到两人的前额。
With the same sunlight on our brow and hair.
你看着我,心中没半点儿不踏实,
On me thou lookest with no doubting care,
象看着一只笼罩在水晶里的蜜蜂;
As on a bee shut in a crystalline, --
哀怨把我密封在圣洁的爱情中,
Since sorrow hath shut me safe in love's divine,
想张开双翼,扑向外面的空间、
And to spread wing and fly in the outer air
是绝不可能的失败--哪怕我狠着心
Were most impossible failure, if I strove
追求这颠扑和失败。可是我向你看,
To fail so. But I look on thee -- on thee --
我看见了爱,还看到了爱的结局,
Beholding, besides love, the end of love,
听到了记忆外层的哪一片寂寥!
Hear
ing oblivion beyond memory!
就象从千层万丈之上,你向下眺望,
As one who sits and gazes from above,
只见滚滚的浪涛尽向大海里流。
Over the rivers of the bitter sea.